Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

Martin Jol is too much of a long shot.

He almost left Ajax to join Fulham, because the Ajax ownership wanted to sell the best players, and wouldn't provide adequate funds to push forward.

Why would he then join a team where the owners are selling the best players and there isn't much money to spend?

beause he virtually states in every single interview that he wants to come back to the prem

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He almost left Ajax to join Fulham, because the Ajax ownership wanted to sell the best players, and wouldn't provide adequate funds to push forward.

Why would he then join a team where the owners are selling the best players and there isn't much money to spend?

beause he virtually states in every single interview that he wants to come back to the prem

Right, but to a club who are doing exactly what he was moaning about less than a month ago?

Why not just wait until a better job comes along? If he wins this season with Ajax, he'll be up for the Man City job when Mancini doesn't get top four.

Right, but to a club who are doing exactly what he was moaning about less than a month ago?

Why not just wait until a better job comes along? If he wins this season with Ajax, he'll be up for the Man City job when Mancini doesn't get top four.

Personally, I don't think he'd sit around waiting for the Man.City job to crop up and considering where they want to be, i'd have thought Man.City may aim higher than Jol. We're an established top 6 prem club, it's a job that doesn't come along too often. A good job. You may be right, I dunno, but i really think he'd have a very long hard think about it and it's definitely worth pursuing

Euck, I'm not at all happy with any of the managers on the market at the moment. Nobody we are being linked with excites me.

Im the same!

Problem is that if we cant even think of a decent alternative what hope does Randy have of getting one to VP?

Jol is the only realistic (in the very loose sense of the word) option that would interest me at all.

Easy.

Unfinished business in England and the Premier League. A vacant job for a top 6 club that have finished there three years on the trot. Looking someone to brighten up their play and push them on. Only a man with unfinished business and the talent can do that. He's the man for the job

Decent enough players in the squad and I'm sure he'll get some funds to bring in players before the deadline.

Easy.

Unfinished business in England and the Premier League. A vacant job for a top 6 club that have finished there three years on the trot. Looking someone to brighten up their play and push them on. Only a man with unfinished business and the talent can do that. He's the man for the job

Decent enough players in the squad and I'm sure he'll get some funds to bring in players before the deadline.

Bringing in his own players means Timothee Atouba... he loves him.

BBC are saying that Lerner wants this resolved quickly:

From BBC Sport website

From bbc.co.uk:

Aston Villa are hoping to name Martin O'Neill's replacement as manager in time for their second Premier League game of the season.

Villa are beginning the search for a new manager after the abrupt departure of O'Neill, 58, on Monday.

Owner Randy Lerner is drawing up a list of candidates, with ex-England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and former Villa star Gareth Southgate both interested.

Villa host West Ham on Saturday, with a trip to Newcastle on Sunday 22 August.

In-between, the Midlands club begin their European campaign with a Europa League qualifying play-off first leg against Rapid Vienna on Thursday.

Reserve-team coach Kevin MacDonald has been placed in caretaker charge of Villa, but sources close to Lerner say he would like a permanent appointment to be in place in time for the trip to St James' Park.

Other names linked with the post include United States manager Bob Bradley, Ajax boss Martin Jol and Germany legend Jurgen Klinsmann, while BBC Sport understands both Eriksson and Southgate are keen to throw their respective hats into the ring.

Sources close to Eriksson said: "Of course, Sven would be interested in this job.

"He has always said that he would like to go back into the Premier League. It is a big target for him."

The club's American owner Lerner - said to be shocked at O'Neill's swift exit - has flown into Birmingham to meet Villa chief executive Paul Faulkner as the club look to replace a man who led them to sixth in the league, and to the Carling Cup final, last season.

Eriksson would appeal to Randy Lerner because of his understated diplomatic style, rather than the engaging and bloody-minded Martin Jol

BBC Radio 5 live's Pat Murphy

O'Neill is believed to have resigned after four years with the club over its current transfer policy - but neither he nor Villa have disclosed any reasons behind the decision, which has thrown preparations for the new campaign into turmoil.

In May, Lerner insisted O'Neill had pledged his future to Villa after speculation over whether or not the former Celtic boss would leave.

But it is widely believed that O'Neill felt it was the end of the road after learning that he would not be able to reinvest most of the money generated from England midfielder James Milner's imminent move to Manchester City.

Lerner had backed O'Neill in the transfer market since the latter replaced David O'Leary in August 2006, from which point the Northern Irishman has largely transformed the fortunes of Villa.

But it became clear this summer that similar investment would not be forthcoming, with Lerner insisting that Villa - who face Rapid Vienna in the Europa League later this month - must now adopt a sell-to-buy policy.

BBC Radio 5 live's Midlands football reporter Pat Murphy stated while there are names in the frame, there is no single stand-out candidate to replace O'Neill.

"Alan Curbishley is available, there's no compensation issue and he's desperate to get back into Premier League management," he added.

"So is Sven-Goran Eriksson, who feels he has unfinished business after being sacked by Manchester City.

"Eriksson would appeal to Randy Lerner because of his understated diplomatic style, rather than the engaging and bloody-minded Martin Jol - who recently flirted with Fulham while playing fast and loose with his present club Ajax.

"Gareth Southgate has recent Premier League experience at Middlesbrough, where he was unluckily sacked, and his time as a manager will surely come again. But many Villa fans have not forgiven him for criticising the club for a lack of ambition when he left 10 years ago."

Bradley, whose contract with the US Soccer Federation runs out in December, has become one of the bookmakers' favourites for the vacant job after stressing that he would love to work in Europe when asked about the Villa speculation.

"I have said over and over as well that I am always excited about new and different challenges," he commented.

"Certainly coaching in Europe at some point is something that I would love to do."

Lerner is a fellow American, while Bradley had previously been linked with the Fulham managerial position before the appointment of former Manchester City boss Mark Hughes.

Milner's exit would come only a year after former Villa captain Gareth Barry also moved to Eastlands.

Why are people still saying we're a top-six club? With O'Neill leaving it's going to set us back this year. We will be lucky to be a top-half club come May, and any incoming manager will know it's going to be so difficult to live up to the fans expectations of a fourth-straight European place finish.

So I don't think Jol will be interested. He almost went to Fulham, was convinced to stay with Ajax and so will have spent the last few weeks focusing on the start of their campaign. He won't want to think about a move now. If O'Neill had left when Fulham were also looking for a manager, I think Jol would have come here for certain. But not this close to the start of the season.

**** me what amazing stuff from the BBC, Randy wants it sorted quickly with a few days until the start of the season. Impressive stuff, I was thinking that he would take his time for a month or two. Like they or any other media outlet has a **** clue what Randy is thinking.

Why are people still saying we're a top-six club? With O'Neill leaving it's going to set us back this year. We will be lucky to be a top-half club come May, and any incoming manager will know it's going to be so difficult to live up to the fans expectations of a fourth-straight European place finish.

So I don't think Jol will be interested. He almost went to Fulham, was convinced to stay with Ajax and so will have spent the last few weeks focusing on the start of their campaign. He won't want to think about a move now. If O'Neill had left when Fulham were also looking for a manager, I think Jol would have come here for certain. But not this close to the start of the season.

Another fan that fails to give the club the credit it deserves. We're a top 6 club because we've finished there 3 years on the trot.

Was it all down to MON? Get a grip. And that is coming from a MON fan himself.

Jol nearly went to Fulham, therefore he'd definitely come to Villa. There is a difference in stature and standing between the two clubs.