Confirmed: Houllier is the new Villa manager

danceoftheshamen

5live's sports bulletin just now said that Southgate and Sven have both expressed an interest in the job. dont know who the **** southgate thinks he is? ditched us for boro plus hes a terrible manager! surely no way he'll even be considered. my top 2 (relatively realistic) choices are Jol and Billy Davies

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone think that we'll be lucky enough to get a manager in fast who sees our problems and understands that we need players in and will go out and get them in the next two weeks? No **** around and no restrictions to just the British Isles?

Sven can't work with little money.

My money is on Curbishley or Bob Bradley.

Would like to see Laursen come in under a senior coaching role.

Does anyone think that we'll be lucky enough to get a manager in fast who sees our problems and understands that we need players in and will go out and get them in the next two weeks? No **** around and no restrictions to just the British Isles?
With a sell to buy policy that is tricky. Alot of the players we have are not going to go for much, so their replacements will be of similar value.

A new manager will also have to bear wages in mind. He can probably get rid of Sidwell and Heskey and bring in 4 or 5 decent players for same wages though.

I think most hope that.

Curbishley would be very ideal for me.

Bob Bradley I wouldn't mind as long as he knew what he was doing!

Sven knows how to buy foreign players so that will shut up alot of people up on here including me.

Gareth Southgate wanted to buy Ronaldinho for Middlesbrough on limited money. Who knows?

That's all for now.

telegraph.co.uk

Aston Villa spark tug of war for Mark Hughes as Martin O'Neill quits on eve of new season

Aston Villa were on Monday night considering making a formal approach for Fulham's Mark Hughes after Martin O'Neill quit as the club's manager

Extraordinarily, Hughes is believed to figure prominently in Villa's possible candidates even though he signed a two-year deal at Craven Cottage only on July 29 and is yet to take charge of a competitive game.

However the only chance of Hughes leaving Fulham would be if the club accepted his contract being bought out by Villa. It is unthinkable that Fulham would even countenance this, or that Hughes would welcome it at this stage, which means that Villa will have to start a wider search just four days before the start of the Premier League season.

Milner set for Man City move Alan Curbishley is among a number of out-of-work managers who would covet the post – Sven-Göran Eriksson would also be on that list – but Villa will undoubtedly look elsewhere first. Martin Jol, ironically the man whose decision to turn down Fulham led to Hughes's eventual appointment, is also under consideration although it would be extremely costly to extricate him from Ajax.

O'Neill left after what sources described as a "disastrous" meeting on Sunday evening with the club's hierarchy. There has been tension for several months – and O'Neill and the club have had to deal with persistent suggestions he was about to leave – but this is understood to have spilt over with a disagreement over the transfer funds being made available to the now former manager before the window closes.

With James Milner's sale to Manchester City imminent – for a fee which may also include a deal to acquire Stephen Ireland, a player O'Neill may not necessarily have wanted – and Ashley Young still a target of Tottenham Hotspur, O'Neill was anxious to ensure that sufficient money was made available particularly to acquire Celtic's Aiden McGeady. It appears that money was not forthcoming.

In addition, he is understood to have been told in no uncertain terms that owner Randy Lerner was not going to continue sustaining the losses he has endured since he acquired Villa in 2006. Since then the American has underwritten Villa to the tune of £179 million with the club making losses of £43.7 million last year.

Most damagingly, the club's wage bill has risen by 42 per cent to £71 million (£11 million more than Tottenham and £21 million more than Everton) giving an alarming wages-to-turnover figure of 85 per cent – with the likes of Richard Dunne believed to be earning £70,000 a week.

In return, O'Neill has achieved three consecutive sixth-placed finishes, a Carling Cup final appearance and turned around a club which appeared to be in a downward spiral under David O'Leary. It has not been a poor return but there has been a disagreement as to how the club goes forward.

Sources close to O'Neill, who worked under a 12-month rolling contract, on Monday night suggested that the 58 year-old felt hugely frustrated by the lack of movement in the transfer market and wanted to receive a more positive message from Lerner. It meant that on the eve of the new season O'Neill – who had asked for £30 million to spend – did not think he was getting the support he required.

There have been suggestions for some time that the relationship between O'Neill and Lerner has been strained but last April, when the Northern Irishman revealed he would consider his future in the summer, he also claimed that the entrepreneur had been the first to call him when rumours circulated that he had quit.

At that time, Hughes was understood to have been a candidate to replace O'Neill.

Since then, Lerner has not been impressed that the clear-out of players that was proposed at the end of last season has not yet happened. Until Nicky Shorey was sold on Monday, none of the six senior players – whose collective wages are close to £250,000 a week with few featuring last season – had moved. Alarmingly, season ticket sales at Villa are down 40 per cent on last year.

Opinion remains divided over O'Neill's success at the club. He brought energy and drive and stability and bought young English talent but his style of football was also criticised at times. On balance his stock remains reasonably high.

Even as recently as last week, O'Neill was firefighting further suggestions he was about to go, telling the local evening newspaper that "who's to say it [the speculation] has gone away? This is the nature of the game".

That turned into a reality on Monday with Villa releasing a statement with chief executive Paul Faulkner confirming: "He [O'Neill] has helped to establish the club in the upper echelons of the Premier League, has taken us to Wembley and we have also qualified for European competition for the past three seasons under his management. We wish him the best in the future."

As part of the statement, O'Neill said: "I have enjoyed my time at Aston Villa immensely. It's obviously a wrench to be leaving such a magnificent club. I would like to pay tribute to the Villa players, my coaching staff and the Villa supporters for all the support and encouragement they have given both the club and me personally during my time as manager. I wish them all the best in the future."

Reserve team manager Kevin MacDonald has been placed in temporary control ahead of Saturday's opening league match at home to West Ham United which Lerner had planned to attend

My number one tip is a non starter because Everton would have to be stark staring bonkers to let him go.

David Moyes is the best at bringing through young players and helping them fulfil their potential. He is also a damn good man manager and plays good football. He is well used to working with a budget and getting the best out of unknowns.

He has been at Everton too long imo and hit their glass ceiling some time ago. I'm sure he would relish a fresh challenge, but as I said Everton would have to be barking to let him talk to us!

My number one tip is a non starter because Everton would have to be stark staring bonkers to let him go.

David Moyes is the best at bringing through young players and helping them fulfil their potential. He is also a damn good man manager and plays good football. He is well used to working with a budget and getting the best out of unknowns.

He has been at Everton too long imo and hit their glass ceiling some time ago. I'm sure he would relish a fresh challenge, but as I said Everton would have to be barking to let him talk to us!

I like Moyes alot & he'd be ideal..but it ain't gonna happen.

SSN saying that Lerner has announced that he wants to appoint a new manager in time for the second game V Newcastle.

Just musing....

Hughes comes to Villa...

Hodgson goes back to Fulham

MON goes to Liverpool with their new owners & mega bucks to spend!

Edit Add: You heard it here first.. 8)

Well now Lerner has said he wants a new manager in place by the 22nd of August we know that they will be taking their time and not rushing to bring in bloody Joe Bloggs from the local 11-a-side team.

I'm PRAYING that they make the right decision and get a good, fair (Davies' words, not mine) manager who is not afraid to change things around and sign quality players based on their ability, not the nation they play in!

Sven has a track record of winning things. And his management of England suddenly doesn't look that bad. His first year with City was good — he just fell out with the crook that owned the place. In his career he has dealt with clubs that didn't have big money. He might be the sensible short term appointment. Would he be more risky than Bradley?

We need somebody quickly and it might have to be a stop-gap!