Barry Bannan

villianusa

For me to be right I just have to look at what professionals have produced to inform us about the performance of different football players. Say what I see.

For you to be right, you need to argue the professionals have produced a lot of nonsense data that nobody should pay any attention to, because their effort and skill that went into their work is pointless.

I'm not going to ignore your opinion or anyone else's here, but I'm going to go with the professionals having something value to contribute.

Absurdly the ONLY thing you are apparently interested about the Whoscored statistics is their rating system. This is the only subjective data point they have. I consider it nonsense. It includes yellow cards, and many other things that one could argue irrelevant.

I'll take Paul Lambert's opinion over a bunch of people who do not even watch the football matches...

Football is not an exact science. It is for this reason that you CAN NOT use STATS. You have to use your eyes, and if you did this you will be enlightened to Bannan's shitness.

Ignoring stats completely is just as bad as using them all the time, if not worse - why then have a league table or a golden boot award?

You require context to the stats. Having a league table is obviously.

Having a player who puts in a load of "accurate crosses" from which we never score is pointless.

For you to be right, you need to argue the professionals have produced a lot of nonsense data that nobody should pay any attention to, because their effort and skill that went into their work is pointless.

But these professionals produce data for people to interpret them and look at them in different contexts.

Its an assumption but i'm guessig no where on that site do they make any of the claims you've made regarding bannan. They produce stats and you've chose to interpret those stats as reasons to support bannan. Like others have argued though, it's pointless just looking at the stats on that website and nothing else.

• Like 1

Absurdly the ONLY thing you are apparently interested about the Whoscored statistics is their rating system. This is the only subjective data point they have. I consider it nonsense. It includes yellow cards, and many other things that one could argue irrelevant.

Wrong yet again.

Every single stat on their site other than absolute stats, like goals, corners, red cards, yellow cards, penalties etc, are subjective. Crosses and assists are subjective which is the reason why you have managed to misinterpret them to make Bannan the best player in the league.

You're trying to brainwash people with your incredibly tedious rhetoric which is quite simply a load of bollocks.

This thread is bordering surreal. It can only be in a dream world that Bannan is being lauded in such a way. He's a very average footballer who on very few occasions plays quite well but never has a stormer and who on more occasions plays poorly.

• Like 1

I don't care about stats but I do care about a lack of respect towards someone when they have a different opinion. We all see things with different eyes. Lambert does rate Bannan else he would not have made so many starts this season. He obviously thinks there's no room for Delph and Bannan in the same squad but Lambert doesn't get everything right does he. And I think Delph got injured or suspended then Bannan would come straight back into the team just like he did at Reading.

This thread is bordering surreal. It can only be in a dream world that Bannan is being lauded in such a way. He's a very average footballer who on very few occasions plays quite well but never has a stormer and who on more occasions plays poorly.

It's a big call to say he is a "very average footballer". The stats are average at all. They're exceptional. I'm astounded that we have the best corner taker, best set piece and crosser in the squad.

His agent won't have any trouble hawking him off somewhere if we get relegated.

It's a big call to say he is a "very average footballer". The stats are average at all. They're exceptional. I'm astounded that we have the best corner taker, best set piece and crosser in the squad.

Con, we have the worst set piece taker in the league. NO ASSISTS. NONE. We have scored from 5 set pieces this season and none of them have been from Bannan. None. Not one. Zero. Zilch. Nil. Comprend?

Just because a website has falsely defined a successful cross as one which goes straight to the keepers hands or straight out for a goal kick does not mean that they are good.

He is a very very very bad player. Very bad.

• Like 1

I don't care about stats but I do care about a lack of respect towards someone when they have a different opinion. We all see things with different eyes. Lambert does rate Bannan else he would not have made so many starts this season. He obviously thinks there's no room for Delph and Bannan in the same squad but Lambert doesn't get everything right does he. And I think Delph got injured or suspended then Bannan would come straight back into the team just like he did at Reading.

There is a very big difference between someone thinking that a player is good, and someone stating that a player is good when the foundation of that opinion is based on false stats. The stats you can argue with 100% assurance whereas an opinion you can't. Con's opinion on Bannan is very wrong based on the stats he keeps spewing out... if he thinks he is good fair enough but don't use stats which have been proven time and time and time again to be inaccurate.

He is a very very very bad player. Very bad.

That's such an exaggeration.. He is a below average premiership player, but then in my eyes the majority (only one or two exceptions) of the squad are hence the reason we are where we are. I don't think Bannan has been our worst player this season.

Villalion didn't you say earlier that you wished the thread would disappear down the pages?( If it wasnt you apologies in advance). But then you keep writing in the thread keeping it at the top.

Can I ask you a couple of honest questions?

i) Who do you think will show an interest in / try to sign Barry Bannan?

Assuming your interpretation of the stats is shared by managers around Europe, which clubs do you think will be vying for the signature of the Premier League's best crosser, set-piece taker and corner taker?

This is a genuine question.  Throw out, say, five clubs who you think will look to entice Barry.

ii) Should Barry Bannan be in the running for PFA Player of the Year?

I think you could make an argument that Bannan's game bears several resemblances to that of Michael Carrick who is in the running.  Danny Welbeck is also in the running and has only scored one goal more than Bannan, although United fans claim he deserves to be in there for his role as a wide man his crossing stats are nowhere near Barry's.

Again, a genuine question.

Cheers.

Edited by NurembergVillan

Can I ask you a couple of honest questions?

Assuming your interpretation of the stats is shared by managers around Europe, which clubs do you think will be vying for the signature of the Premier League's best crosser, set-piece taker and corner taker?

This is a genuine question.  Throw out, say, five clubs who you think will look to entice Barry.

I think you could make an argument that Bannan's game bears several resemblances to that of Michael Carrick who is in the running.  Danny Welbeck is also in the running and has only scored one goal more than Bannan, although United fans claim he deserves to be in there for his role as a wide man his crossing stats are nowhere near Barry's.

Again, a genuine question.

Cheers.

Which teams have enough money? I don't know, here's my guess though.

Aston Villa - we'll try to resign him. We understand what he's about and he's got a clear niche and is only going to improve. Will Bannan want to resign if he's not guaranteed a first XI place?

Mallorca/Espanyol other La Liga team

Cardiff/Swansea/West Ham/Norwich/Southampton

Celtic

Current price tag £4.5m. I wouldn't sell him though.

Not played enough games to be considered.