Barry Bannan

villianusa

Is he injured or just dropped?

Dropped because of his Liverpool performance. Was absolutely dreadful and hasn't been seen again since... and hopefully we won't see him again.

Yeap because we're doing great without him now (Y) :). Delph is really really good....

Excellent argument. We fully expected to play Man Utd off their own park and walk away with 3 points without breaking a sweat. Messi would not have made a difference today let alone bloody Barry **** Bannan.

I'm guessing he is dropped so not to put too much pressure on Westwood and Delph.

It's difficult to comprehend otherwise, unless he is injured, why you leave one of your best players out of the squad.

Yes, woe betide a player outshining any other! haha. You don't leave your best players out of your squad. That's a puzzle... try to work it out.

You're a bluenose. Fact.

No worse than Delph on that performance

Delph's best performances of the season are a hundred times better than Bannan's best performances. Keep your blindfold on tho Paul.

Out set piece delivery so far has been woeful. Bannan is the most accurate crosser in the Premier League.

Yes, if we had Bannan on the set pieces he would have assisted the same % as he has all season from set pieces even though he has taken the vast majority of them. 0%.

Should be starting imo.

You are entitled to your opinion, and Lambert is entitled to his. Bannan doesn't make the squad let alone the first eleven anymore because he is a truly awful player with absolutely no ability whatsoever. Lambert, a champions league winning midfielder who knows the game more than you, rates him less than our League 2 substitute. Says it all really.

Dropped because of his Liverpool performance. Was absolutely dreadful and hasn't been seen again since... and hopefully we won't see him again.

Yeap because we're doing great without him now (Y) :). Delph is really really good....

Excellent argument. We fully expected to play Man Utd off their own park and walk away with 3 points without breaking a sweat. Messi would not have made a difference today let alone bloody Barry **** Bannan.

Oh so when Bannan and the team played badly against Chelsea and Man City, I seem to remember him getting slaughtered. But when Delph plays badly away at Man Utd, we were expected to lose so it doesn't matter? :L

Delph's best performances of the season are a hundred times better than Bannan's best performances. Keep your blindfold on tho Paul.

Like when? When has Delph ever played well for us? Bannan has been better than Delph this season...fact.

Just when you think and hope this thread is going the same way as the players career (Into the wilderness) it comes back again like a bad smell.

I suppose we would have thrashed Manure last night if he were on the pitch

Edited by AshVilla

Nah Bannan and Westwood, Delph and Westwood the outcome would have been no different. However in a three man midfield Bannan might have made more difference. A long time ago I know but its the game I always remember Bannan for and why I think he has something. The 2-2 draw against United, Bannan was brilliant in that game. I have never seen Delph do that. I know he has made improvements but he hasn't got the range of passing that Bannan has. He drives forward with the ball and then turns back and passes it back to the goalkeeper. A lot of Delphs passes are backwards.

Oh so when Bannan and the team played badly against Chelsea and Man City, I seem to remember him getting slaughtered. But when Delph plays badly away at Man Utd, we were expected to lose so it doesn't matter? :L

Did you see, hear or read me slaughtering Bannan after Chelsea or Man City? No, so don't put words in my mouth to make up a totally irrelevant point.

Like when? When has Delph ever played well for us? Bannan has been better than Delph this season...fact.

The fact you even write this shows how little you know of football or how little you watched Villa this season. Either way it doesn't matter... just means you aren't in the right place to judge.

There's only so much nonsense one can put up with. This thread went way over my tolerance levels many weeks ago and should be closed down for the greater good. He hasn't even played in nearly a month yet people are still bringing him up for no reason every week without fail.

With any luck he'll be sold in a matter of weeks and this thread can cease to be making the world a happier and more harmonious place.

Edited by VillaLi0n

If he doesn't figure in the last 4 games I think you will get your wish. That would be a shame in my opinion but we have to support the players in the team. I don't know if Bannan will make it elsewhere maybe its his size or there's a flaw in his character but he reminded me of one of fav ever villa players when he first got in the side Alex Cropley. similar size and a scot.

There's only so much nonsense one can put up with. This thread went way over my tolerance levels many weeks ago and should be closed down for the greater good. He hasn't even played in nearly a month yet people are still bringing him up for no reason every week without fail.

With any luck he'll be sold in a matter of weeks and this thread can cease to be making the world a happier and more harmonious place.

I've a suggestion, dont go into the thread if you dont like what is being discussed.

I've a suggestion, dont go into the thread if you dont like what is being discussed.

How do you know you don't like what is being discussed unless you go into the thread?

VillaLi0n is worried because the arguments to start Bannan are very believable and could convince a neutral supporter (one not scapegoating any particular individual for past results).

This could cause popular momentum to recall him to his rightful place in the starting XI.

There is no reason why Bannan wouldn't find another club - Premier League one - if we sold him. 

We would be relegated without his help. Fact. He participated as one of 11 in the six wins. If he doesn't feature in the next few games we will very likely be relegated without him. For whatever reason, it is undeniable we have played better with Bannan in the side. I have my own theory why that is not a 'fluke'.

Unless Bannan doesn't want to play football - Man City Michael Johnson character flaw scenario - I'm pretty confident he will be playing in the Premier League next season if we are relegated. He will have the last laugh.

This could cause popular momentum to recall him to his rightful place in the starting XI.

Do you think Lambert cares about who is popular before naming his side? Seriously? Sometimes I do wonder how you can take yourself seriously.

VillaLi0n is worried because the arguments to start Bannan are very believable and could convince a neutral supporter (one not scapegoating any particular individual for past results).

I'm worried that the arguments are that Bannan may start are believable? If they are believable why would I be worried?? First and foremost I am a Villa fan and want what is best for Villa. Bannan outside of the squad is in the interests of Aston Villa. 

The only stat which you, think is believable and have reproduced around 800 times in 799 posts is that he can cross a ball. The definition of a successful cross from the website that you use is as follows:

Cross - An attempted/accurate pass from a wide position to a central attacking area

This is from the glossary of the site. Please note how incredibly vague this definition is.

I think we can all agree that this stat is only useful in conjunction with volume of assists to show a true picture of whether the crosses are posing a real threat to the opponent. The FACT (I have accentuated the word fact for a point I will make later) remains that he has 1 assist for all of his "amazing" crosses that he puts in.

You state that his crossing suggests he is our most creative player whereas the truth of the matter is that if a different player had the ball in the same positions as Bannan we would probably have scored a lot more goals. The best aspect of his game is actually a weakness for the team.

Another FACT is if you go to the link below, click on passing and then click on 'C' to order by crosses you will see him 4th in the list (not 1st, 4th). If you look at the ratings which are assigned to each player you will find he has the WORST rating of every player other than Matt Jarvis. This suggests that not only are his crosses completely ineffective  he offers nothing else to the team whereas everyone else in his position gives a lot more to the team.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/PlayerStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

You also write it is a fact we would be relegated without his help. This is you, I believe, stating that if you take away all the wins he was part of we wouldn't be as high up the table. You do realise that if Bannan wasn't playing another player would be? Do you realise this? If you do, you will realise that your remark is about as pointless as a white crayon. This is most definitely NOT a fact and is actually your opinion, which is very very flawed.

Lastly, according to your favorite website, Bannan is better than Dorrans and no one else who has played more than 4 games in his position.

Unless Bannan doesn't want to play football

He wants to play... he has been dropped. He was at Cheltenham racing the other day and said he was not happy about not being in the squad.

Bannan is useless. Wake up, smell the coffee and let this thread disappear so that we never have to see it again just like Bannan.

Edited by VillaLi0n

For me to be right I just have to look at what professionals have produced to inform us about the performance of different football players. Say what I see.

For you to be right, you need to argue the professionals have produced a lot of nonsense data that nobody should pay any attention to, because their effort and skill that went into their work is pointless.

I'm not going to ignore your opinion or anyone else's here, but I'm going to go with the professionals having something value to contribute.

Absurdly the ONLY thing you are apparently interested about the Whoscored statistics is their rating system. This is the only subjective data point they have. I consider it nonsense. It includes yellow cards, and many other things that one could argue irrelevant.

He wants to play... he has been dropped. He was at Cheltenham racing the other day and said he was not happy about not being in the squad.

Are you Bannan? Trolling his own thread. Now that would be funny!