Barry Bannan

villianusa

Putting it out there.

BARRY BANNAN WILL NOT APPEAR FOR VILLA AGAIN THIS SEASON ON MERIT.

this discounts injuries, him streaking onto the oitch, or booting a little girl in the face like he did against Liverpool

• Like 2

I have been reading stats. the Reading stats were awesome. Played twice, won twice. Second time with 56% ball possession.

Bannan wasn't any good in these games, but if you are picking out his performances against a team that will struggle in the Championship next season then all you are doing is pointing out the level that Bannan is.

Wake up Con. Bannan is the worst academy graduate at Villa for decades.

Who happens to be the best crosser in the Premier League, the second highest chance creator in the squad, and possess the highest points per game ratio of any Villa player.

Yep, Bannan sucks bad.

Was Bannan on the bench today?

Really don't know why after every game the Bannan thread is brought up, when he doesnt even get a game.

It's the closest thing we have on here to a consensus. Everyone thinks he's awful except for one person. It's like the fight against polio, it might not look like a major issue with only a few deaths a year coming from it, but if we can just get across the line and eradicate it for good then the world will be a better place.

Bannan is polio.

I'm not the only person at all. Look back in the thread, there are many repeat posters. This is not a BJ10 situation in the Nextgen thread. I'm not the only one.

Oh but you are. The people that you are claiming are backing you up are merely stating that he isn't "that" bad, though still shouldn't be in the Villa starting eleven.

You are stating that he is a world class player and will be playing in the higher echelons of the Premier League which is a claim that should get you locked up in a mental institution.

Who happens to be the best crosser in the Premier League, the second highest chance creator in the squad, and possess the highest points per game ratio of any Villa player.

Yep, Bannan sucks bad.

Your only argument is stats. He is NOT the best crosser in the PL. Tell that to any fan of any other team and they'd laugh at you. Like any other reasonable Villa fan would. He's just not a chance creator and the points per game ratio is nonsense.

Yep, Bannan sucks bad.

Glad you have finally admitted that Bannan sucks.

I guess you have deleted from your memory the reason why the stats show Bannan as the best crosser in the Premier League? They include corners and long balls to the edge of the box. If you exclude these then he is rubbish. The one stat you have been clinging onto for the last few months has been proven to be incredibly misleading.

I can't wait for the day Bannan is released or sold from Villa (should be weeks away now) so we can shut this thread down and at the same time shut all this foolishness that you keep spouting on this thread.

Yep, Bannan sucks bad.

Do you remember me proving how much bullshit this stat is?

A majority of his crosses are corners. From open play he is as effective as Ireland with crosses.

Highest points per game but still played in all but one ( !!!!) of our highest defeats, he has one assist all season, he almost had another for Liverpool, he has a worse ball retention than our other midfielders, Sylla and Westwood play deeper but also play shorter passes.

basically, yeah.. Bannan is shite.

Yep, Bannan sucks bad.

All I can say is, ha ha ha.

Set piece taker will have the majority of his crosses from set pieces and corners. Bannan is not the only set piece taker in the league. Set piece takers are chosen for being good at crossing.

Bannan's passing accuracy is lower only because he goes for his passes. When he's not going for the hard key pass he is very accurate.

Wilshere's passing accuracy is lower than Arteta's and Iniesta's lower than Xavi's for the same reason. They go for the hard pass more often. Both Wilshere and Iniesta have much higher number chances created than Arteta and Xavi. 

The same dynamic is working between Bannan and Westwood. Yesterday it was working between Westwood and Delph.

Westwood was only 80% accurate against Fulham down from 97% against QPR. What changed?

Did Westwood just have a bad game (atrocious by his high standard!) or did he have to force the game against Fulham, whereas against QPR he could let Bannan do it?

Delph ended the game against Fulham with a 94% passing accuracy, and Squawka tells us he passes backward 47% of the time. He passed forwards more against Fulham but he's not a playmaker.

Westwood's ball retention dipped to 80% yesterday because he was going for creative passes that weren't coming off. Bannan wasn't on the pitch so someone else had to do it.

Apart from Benteke to N'Zogbia and Weimann to the far post there wasn't a chance created from our play in the entire game.

Against Stoke we only won because of a bit of magic from Lowton. We could easily have drawn or lost that game after the momentum shifted following the equaliser.

The stats for crossing, open play, no corners, DO NOT HAVE BANNAN as the best,

The crossing stats, for assists, from open play, DO NOT HAVE BANNAN AS THE BEST.

The crossing stats from deep, from open play, DO NOT HAVE BANNAN as the best.

do you need more hints or are we ready to enter stage 2?

• Like 1

http://ccahill.hubpages.com/hub/Who-Will-Get-The-Most-Assists-English-Premier-League'>Stats on assists

For somebody with such great ball retention, such great crossing skills and the ability to pick out a pass like you suggest. 

WHERE'S WALLY? Barry?

http://www.bettingexpert.com/blog/premier-league-mid-season-statistics-report-2012-2013'>

In open play and set pieces: (Plus chances created PER set play!!!)

"For all of his successful crosses in open play and set pieces, Everton’s left back Leighton Baines is top of the table for creating chances this season. Of the 69 attempts at goal he has set up, only 2 of these have turned into goals.

Both Steven Gerrard and Luis Suárez are next on the list. The England Centurian leads the league in assists this season, with 8 that have come from the 59 chances he has teed up for team mates. Team mate Suárez leads the league in attempts on goal, but the Uruguayan forward is third when it comes to creating chances this season. Quite literally involved in everything on the pitch for the Reds. Suárez has created the most chances in open play this season.

No surprise to see Spaniard’s David Silva, Santi Cazorla and Juan Mata on the list, whilst Adel Taarabt has been a big influence on anything positive that Queens Park Rangers have had going forward this season.

Nicky Shorey and Aaron Lennon make up the top 10, meaning 40% of the league’s top playmakers are English, right? I can dream""

NOTE: Bannan is third in that list, but appears NOWHERE in the assists from set plays, open play or chances created from set pieces column. In simple terms, his crosses, no matter the high % from corners, DO NOT = A POSITIVE OUTCOME. ever. EVER.

Tennis player, plays safe serve, gets 100% first serves in - DOES NOT make him the best server. It makes him somebody who plays the percentages. Where-as somebody like Nadal will have a lower % but win more match points with better quality and more attacking serves.

Barry is a % man with little impact.

Edited by dodgyknees
  • Like 3

The stats for crossing, open play, no corners, DO NOT HAVE BANNAN as the best,

You need to read the links you post before you claim you've proved something.

The Opta stats showed number of crosses from open play. They didn't have a percentage statistic so they didn't tell us who was most accurate, only who had the most. Pointless. All that tells us is team strategy.

The percentage statistic they do have is filtered by games played. Bannan with 18 games played is just under the cusp.

This meant Lambert with just 50 total crosses was able to top the list with 35% and Bannan with 114 total crosses was excluded from it, even though he was on 45%.

Lambert is a good set piece taker, and according to that link, we can deduce from his 50 crosses he doesn't have more than 19 successful open play crosses.

There is a table for accurate crosses, I.E, crosses that hit a target.

There is a table for crossing accuracy I.E crosses that hit the box.

Barry is top of the second and ineffective at everything else.

This is an interesting table: Premier League Team Statistics.

Click on possession %.

Place in the table is directly correlated with possession %. Only 5 teams are on more than 56% possession per game, and they own the 1 - 5 spots in the league table.

http://www.whoscored.com/Regions/252/Tournaments/2/Seasons/3389/Stages/6531/TeamStatistics/England-Premier-League-2012-2013

This is one reason why we won against QPR and Reading, we dominated possession (56% in both games).

I think all three could play together. I wouldn't drop Westwood as I think he's our most consistent midfield player.

Except when he isn't, like against Fulham. Ineffective.

Without Bannan on the bench, no fear of competition either.

Yes I agree its very strange that he wasn't even on the bench. I can understand the reasoning against Stoke. I also think if Bannan had of scored that own goal and that woeful shot that Delph did yesterday he would have been made this scapegoat on this forum.