Barry Bannan

villianusa

1) Why are people bashing Bannan for a shot hit the post which eventually led to a goal?

Not exactly bashing but he should have finished that effort and it only then led to a goal due to a lucky deflection back to one of our players.  You cant commend him for hitting the post just because we scored from it surely?

1) Why are people bashing Bannan for a shot hit the post which eventually led to a goal?

2) Bannan needs to start in a 4-3-3 against Sunderland, preferably for the place of Delph.

It has been decided by those better at talent spotting than us Bannan isn't any good so the facts must fit the narrative.

I agree what you say here. Bannan started when we beat Sunderland earlier in the year. He could come in for any other them - Westwood, Delph or N'Zog.

I'm particularly concerned by Westwood though because of the knee high challenges he's been making over the last couple of weeks. He's not a nasty player so I believe that is a sign he is tired at the end of his first PL season.

Refs will have seen those challenges - either which could have been a straight red card - and the next one he makes slightly like it, I'm sure he'll be sent off. Better to give him a rest. We have players who can come in. 

Delph and Westwood were previous to Villa playing in Division One and Division Two so bringing in Bannan, El Ahmadi - both capped internationals - is hardly weakening the teamsheet.

2) Bannan needs to start in a 4-3-3 against Sunderland, preferably for the place of Delph.

It has been decided by those better at talent spotting than us Bannan isn't any good

Including Martin O'Neill, Gerard Houllier, Ian Holloway, Paul Lambert and assorted Scotland managers.

• Like 1

Why add Paul Lambert to that list? He's said on record he's picked the midfield on form, which we all know is temporary.

Also don't know why Houllier and Holloway is on your list, MON is the only one who wanted nothing to do with him.

Strachan, the current Scotland manager, likes Bannan.

Why add Paul Lambert to that list? He's said on record he's picked the midfield on form, which we all know is temporary.

Also don't know why Houllier and Holloway is on your list, MON is the only one who wanted nothing to do with him.

I think Lambert picks the midfield by putting everybodys name in a hat and picking them out on the day.

How do you know Strachan likes Bannan? He's left him out of his squads and only been included when injuries have forced players to pull out...

How do you know Strachan likes Bannan? He's left him out of his squads and only been included when injuries have forced players to pull out...

Because he scouts him, or tries too. He was quoted a couple of weeks ago giving Bannan a mention.

Because he scouts him, or tries too. He was quoted a couple of weeks ago giving Bannan a mention.

He watches the Premier League like the rest of the world. He see's Bannan play, he excludes him from his squad - the worst Scotland squad in 30 odd years.

This to me is not Strachan stating he likes the player, it's Strachan saying he isn't good enough for this Scotland team, though has no one else to look at because the pool of players is so limited.

He watches the Premier League like the rest of the world. He see's Bannan play, he excludes him from his squad - the worst Scotland squad in 30 odd years.

This to me is not Strachan stating he likes the player, it's Strachan saying he isn't good enough for this Scotland team, though has no one else to look at because the pool of players is so limited.

You're wrong. He called him up. Then he bemoaned the fact he couldn't make them play and watch them.

Bannan not first choice because he doesn't play at the moment for his club. Scotland have a lot of choice in midfield. You might be disparaging of the Scotland team but there are only two spots in midfield and there are Premier League regulars ahead of him.

You're wrong. He called him up. Then he bemoaned the fact he couldn't make them play and watch them.

Bannan not first choice because he doesn't play at the moment for his club. Scotland have a lot of choice in midfield. You might be disparaging of the Scotland team but there are only two spots in midfield and there are Premier League regulars ahead of him.

He didn't call him up. He wasn't even in the last Scotland squad.

After the squad was announced Scotland got a number of injuries and only then did he get called up, but didn't play a minute of the games.

If Bannan is one of the best players in the Premier League then having Premier League regulars in the Scotland squad shouldn't really be a problem for him should it?

You've just admitted he was called up to the squad. I've constantly said Bannan has improved greatly but is not Champions League quality yet. That is why I wanted him to play second half of the season, so he could repeat what he did in the first. Not played. Lambert would rather play ex-Div One and Div Two players over internationals.

You've just admitted he was called up to the squad. I've constantly said Bannan has improved greatly but is not Champions League quality yet. That is why I wanted him to play second half of the season, so he could repeat what he did in the first. Not played. Lambert would rather play ex-Div One and Div Two players over internationals.

He wasn't in the squad... was drafted in after injuries. Stop working off technicalities and see things as they are. He can't break into the worst Scotland team in 30 years. The Premiership player, Morrison which you state is the player keeping him out of the team withdrew yet he still doesn't play.

Bannan hasn't improved this season. He has just played more. He got his chance, he blew it and Lambert prefers League 2 players over Bannan for what is a very obvious reason for the majority of people.

I have nothing more to say on this matter... Bannan is useless from every which way you look at it.

You'd have thought the best crosser in the league could find a spot in the Scotland team.

In fairness i would take that as a positive that Strachan and O'Neill didnt rate him. Some of the signings them 2 made when they were club managers beggers belief

I dont think any other player divides Villa fans as much as Bannan. The game is all about opinions, but I am in the anti Bannan camp. Yes he does obviously have some ability, but he is too inconsistent, gives the ball away too much, and those aimless long passes going nowhere annoy me. He has been on the fringes of the team for about 4 years in which most senior players above him have left. For whatever reason a succession of managers have not made him first choice. Perhaps it would be for the best if he goes in the summer and we get a few quid for it.

You'd have thought the best crosser in the league could find a spot in the Scotland team.

In fairness i would take that as a positive that Strachan and O'Neill didnt rate him. Some of the signings them 2 made when they were club managers beggers belief

The only thing that possibly beggers belief more than MON signing Beye, Warnock etc etc is this twisted logic over who you classify as a good player...  :blush: