Barry Bannan

villianusa

I think Bannan is our lowest wage-earning midfielder who has started a game this year. If we stay up he'll be a legend for that assist, whatever happens. Randy should give him a bonus too.

That's a bit of a glib response to a complex issue. His wages are not really a relevance here. I don't think the assist will be particularly remembered amongst all other goals, assists and performances in the end of the season review, never mind legendary.

I think at the forefront of peoples minds, from Bannan would or should be the lack of assists to be honest, as it's a much more pertinent factor in our season.  

Edit - but that said he still has a few important games in which to become a legend if he pulls his socks up. I think he has something worth nurturing, but so far his season has been poor.  

Edited by Kingfisher

We'll, you know my position on that. The key pass stat is the relevant one. It is a statistical 'fluke' that Bannan has only one assist from 34 key passes (that lead to shooting opportunities).

We'll, you know my position on that. The key pass stat is the relevant one. It is a statistical 'fluke' that Bannan has only one assist from 34 key passes (that lead to shooting opportunities).

Are 25 of those key passes corners that floated harmlessly out or into the keepers hands?

There seems to be no correlation between the two stats, making KP a bit too vague. I think perhaps it's the quality of the key pass rather than quantity that you're putting in that makes the difference between a shot and a goal. Or maybe it's the strikers fault, perhaps Benteke, Weimann and Gabby have been having a relatively terrible season. I think not.  

I think Bannan is our lowest wage-earning midfielder who has started a game this year. If we stay up he'll be a legend for that assist, whatever happens. Randy should give him a bonus too.

That's a bit of a glib response to a complex issue. His wages are not really a relevance here. I don't think the assist will be particularly remembered amongst all other goals, assists and performances in the end of the season review, never mind legendary.

I think at the forefront of peoples minds, from Bannan would or should be the lack of assists to be honest, as it's a much more pertinent factor in our season.  

Edit - but that said he still has a few important games in which to become a legend if he pulls his socks up. I think he has something worth nurturing, but so far his season has been poor.  

Glib

Glib talk is easily and smoothly spoken talk, and is difficult to believe because it is spoken without thinking and lacks sincerity. Clever and insincere words said rather thoughtlessly and to make the listener believe them are glib words. A glib talker talks to persuade people into believing their words, usually false. A glib salesman tries to sell his ware by talking in a smooth and easy manner just to make people buy what he is trying to sell. You are glib when without yourself being certain of something you try to make others believe you.

Kingfisher, you are a legend. You have hit the nail on the head.

I don't care if you like Bannan or not and my guess is that's his opinion as well.

This discussion is not really about Bannan but having the proper playmaking midfielder our team needs.

Westwood and Delph aren't. El Ahmadi might be and I was very pleased with his cameo against Man Utd.

If El Ahmadi could step up, don't need Bannan.

Would play Bannan over KEA all day.

Oh and didn't he assist at Reading ?

I suppose if you call missing a point blank goal that led to Gabby's goal an assist, then yeah he assisted

Would play Bannan over KEA all day.

Oh and didn't he assist at Reading ?

Deflection off the post doesn't count as an assist, or a pass.

I'd play Bannan, El Ahmadi and Delph or Westwood. Possibly give Westwood a rest because he's looked jaded over the last couple of matches, and could have been sent off, twice, for high tackles. Refs will be looking out for him now.

statistical fluke  :crylaugh:  thats a new one for an excuse

I don't care if you like Bannan or not and my guess is that's his opinion as well.

This discussion is not really about Bannan but having the proper playmaking midfielder our team needs.

Westwood and Delph aren't. El Ahmadi might be and I was very pleased with his cameo against Man Utd.

Con have you not been saying that Bannan is basically at a loss due to the players around him, he can only be the best crosser in the league and can't do anything if Benteke doesn't score from his super accurate crosses. However, now you are saying he is replaceable if KEA could step up, a player who's only attempted 5 crosses all year? How can this be? 

Con have you not been saying that Bannan is basically at a loss due to the players around him, he can only be the best crosser in the league and can't do anything if Benteke doesn't score from his super accurate crosses. However, now you are saying he is replaceable if KEA could step up, a player who's only attempted 5 crosses all year? How can this be? 

Bannan's crossing is the best way to show you the talent he has. He is also good at distributing the play, which is another reason I wanted him in the team.

That is one of El Ahmadi's strong suits too. El Ahmadi might or might not be a crosser but if he can be very good at distributing the play for us I would be happy with him in the team.

If we need good delivery into the box Bannan can play with him, on the left.