Barry Bannan

villianusa

Current price tag £4.5m. I wouldn't sell him though.

:crylaugh: I'm sorry mate I know you rate him but that is **** hilarious. When we sell him in the summer it will not be for anything like 4.5 mill. I would be pleasantly surprised if we got an offer of 1.5 mill for him and if we did we'd snap anyones hands off. He will go to a Championship club.

Edited by markavfc40

Con - thanks for the answers.

To the first point, I'm a little surprised that the quality of clubs you consider might look to sign the Premier League's most effective provider is comparatively low compared to his standing in the cross completion, set-piece delivery charts etc.

To the second point, before last night's match Danny Welbeck had only made one more appearance than Barry whilst Lukaku had only made 5 more (and a good few of those as a sub).  Seems a shame he's been overlooked when taking that into account.

Absurdly the ONLY thing you are apparently interested about the Whoscored statistics is their rating system. This is the only subjective data point they have. I consider it nonsense. It includes yellow cards, and many other things that one could argue irrelevant.

Wrong yet again.

Every single stat on their site other than absolute stats, like goals, corners, red cards, yellow cards, penalties etc, are subjective. Crosses and assists are subjective which is the reason why you have managed to misinterpret them to make Bannan the best player in the league.

You're trying to brainwash people with your incredibly tedious rhetoric which is quite simply a load of bollocks.

I can tell you from experience explaining the subjective nature of stats requiring you to judge the players intention to Con is like trying to explain string theory to a 2 year old.

The 2 year old will look at you bewildered and then take a dump in their pants, while Con will scream, "METHADOLOGY, METHODOLOGY, METHODOLOGY".......and then take a dump in his pants.

To the second point, before last night's match Danny Welbeck had only made one more appearance than Barry whilst Lukaku had only made 5 more (and a good few of those as a sub).  Seems a shame he's been overlooked when taking that into account.

Incidentally how the heck has Welbeck sneaked onto the nominations for Young Player of the year - he's scored two goals this season. Two. Same as Brett Holman, only he's played twice as many games - a striker, with two goals in 39 games - Young player of the year?

Madness. 

Incidentally how the heck has Welbeck sneaked onto the nominations for Young Player of the year - he's scored two goals this season. Two. Same as Brett Holman, only he's played twice as many games - a striker, with two goals in 39 games - Young player of the year?

Madness.

Con will have some stats to prove Welbeck is the best striker since Pongo Waring!

Madness. 

Yes totally agree. I don't think he's that good either. If you cant score more than 2 goals in a season playing for Man Utd then you must be poor.

Madness. 

Its English football where strikers like Emile Heskey and Nikola Zigic are loved for their strikerate  :P

Edited by Zatman

You may sneer at the likes of Cardiff, Swansea, Norwich and Southampton but come next season they may be in a higher division than us.

I've never claimed Bannan was going to be signed for Man Utd or a Champions League side.

Great crossing can only get you so far. Beckham had more than great crossing.

Right now Bannan is a bit of a one-trick pony. It's a very good trick, but he is capable of performing at a far higher level than he currently is. 

We should not assume he is not in the team because the manager doesn't think he is any good. It's possible that Lambert is making a tactical decision.

Industry of Delph vs flair of Bannan.

It's not the correct decision because we have been most successful with Bannan in the team, because the team uses possession better, but that could be his thinking.

Great crossing can only get you so far. Beckham had more than great crossing.

Oh really?

What else does Beckham do? He's slow, he doesn't tackle, he doesn't dribble, he doesn't head the ball... but he can whip in a mean cross.

I've never claimed Bannan was going to be signed for Man Utd or a Champions League side.

Yes, you did.

So you think bannan will be playing at arsenal or man u next season?

Depends how well he plays for the rest of the season. If he is still the best crosser in the league by a mile, and is creating chances at the same rate, but we still go down... if I was Wenger or Ferguson, I'd make a cheeky offer.

I am glad that in the last few months you have obviously realised that Bannan isn't as good as you once thought. I think you still have quite a way to go though before you realise his true ability.

• Like 1

This thread is bordering surreal. It can only be in a dream world that Bannan is being lauded in such a way. He's a very average footballer who on very few occasions plays quite well but never has a stormer and who on more occasions plays poorly.

It's a big call to say he is a "very average footballer". The stats are average at all. They're exceptional. I'm astounded that we have the best corner taker, best set piece and crosser in the squad.

His agent won't have any trouble hawking him off somewhere if we get relegated.

Can I ask you a couple of honest questions?

i) Who do you think will show an interest in / try to sign Barry Bannan?

Assuming your interpretation of the stats is shared by managers around Europe, which clubs do you think will be vying for the signature of the Premier League's best crosser, set-piece taker and corner taker?

This is a genuine question.  Throw out, say, five clubs who you think will look to entice Barry.

ii) Should Barry Bannan be in the running for PFA Player of the Year?

I think you could make an argument that Bannan's game bears several resemblances to that of Michael Carrick who is in the running.  Danny Welbeck is also in the running and has only scored one goal more than Bannan, although United fans claim he deserves to be in there for his role as a wide man his crossing stats are nowhere near Barry's.

Again, a genuine question.

Cheers.

Current price tag £4.5m. I wouldn't sell him though.

ii) Should Barry Bannan be in the running for PFA Player of the Year?

Not played enough games to be considered.

:huh: 

Yes, you did.

Bannan has the potential in future to be signed by a Champions League side. I didn't say it would happen at the end of this season.

So you think bannan will be playing at arsenal or man u next season?

Depends how well he plays for the rest of the season. If he is still the best crosser in the league by a mile, and is creating chances at the same rate, but we still go down... if I was Wenger or Ferguson, I'd make a cheeky offer.

Note I said "depends how well he plays for the rest of the season".

That's an important sentence. You appear to be pretending I didn't write it.

I am glad that in the last few months you have obviously realised that Bannan isn't as good as you once thought. I think you still have quite a way to go though before you realise his true ability.

I've not said that. You can tell from my quote, which you took time to seek out from earlier in this thread, that I wasn't assuming he was Champions League quality yet.

Had he consistently played and maintained his impressive record then he would have been sought out by the big clubs. He's not played much since January, so no big club is going to take the risk.

And the reason why he hasn't played much since January is because his performances, which you believed would set him up for a move to Man Utd or another top team, haven't been good enough to keep him in the worst Villa team in 20 years.

Don't worry about me taking time out to find your posts it took about 5 minutes to complete... 1 minute to find your posts and 4 minutes to try and get the quoting mechanisms on this site to work correctly (which BTW mods is a lot more difficult than it should be). Having an excellent memory, along with the search facility, not only helps one find another ones posts but also helps remember all those horrendous back passes, crosses and caught in possession moments which Bannan has each and every game.

Time will prove me right on Bannan there is no doubt about that so from this moment forward I will try to resist commenting on your ludicrous claims.

• Like 1

And the reason why he hasn't played much since January is because his performances, which you believed would set him up for a move to Man Utd or another top team, haven't been good enough to keep him in the worst Villa team in 20 years.

You are scapegoating. I don't believe Bannan's performances dropped particularly in January compared to December.

We lost games because the defence made errors. Bannan was not originally dropped. He got a hip injury. Delph came in, kept his place.

Don't worry about me taking time out to find your posts it took about 5 minutes to complete... 1 minute to find your posts and 4 minutes to try and get the quoting mechanisms on this site to work correctly (which BTW mods is a lot more difficult than it should be). Having an excellent memory, along with the search facility, not only helps one find another ones posts but also helps remember all those horrendous back passes, crosses and caught in possession moments which Bannan has each and every game.

Time will prove me right on Bannan there is no doubt about that so from this moment forward I will try to resist commenting on your ludicrous claims.

Okay, I get it. Bannan will fade into obscurity. He has no talent. You can rejoice at his failure starting now. Not as if he has done anything good for Villa, is it?

You are scapegoating. I don't believe Bannan's performances dropped particularly in January compared to December.

We lost games because the defence made errors. Bannan was not originally dropped. He got a hip injury. Delph came in, kept his place.

Okay, I get it. Bannan will fade into obscurity. He has no talent. You can rejoice at his failure starting now. Not as if he has done anything good for Villa, is it?

No he hasn't done anything good with Villa!!! That's the point.
  • Like 1

Talking about points, the assist for the Ciaren Clark goal against Newcastle earned us a point.

That one point could be the difference between relegation and Premier League football next year, and all the TV money that comes with it.

How many points has Delph earned us this year? I can count how many he's cost us.

That one point could be the difference between relegation and Premier League football next year

Just one assist. It's not really good enough and could relegate us. Had he have got several assists and maybe 3-4 goals we might be in a better place, if you want to start apportioning blame. I mean, if he is meant to be is a creative midfielder, what sort of creativity is that?  

• Like 1

That one point could be the difference between relegation and Premier League football next year

Just one assist. It's not really good enough and could relegate us. Had he have got several assists and maybe 3-4 goals we might be in a better place, if you want to start apportioning blame. I mean, if he is meant to be is a creative midfielder, what sort of creativity is that?  

I think Bannan is our lowest wage-earning midfielder who has started a game this year. If we stay up he'll be a legend for that assist, whatever happens. Randy should give him a bonus too.