Barry Bannan

villianusa

Didn't think he had the best game yesterday but he admitted as much himself.

I was surprised he played to be honest because he really ran himself into the ground against Liverpool - he could barely walk when he left the pitch.

For those saying he doesn't work hard watch that game.

For me there is a terrific player in there but we aren't seeing it yet - earlier in season I thought he was great for a few games before the driving ban which has set him back. Right now he is trying too much and showing plenty of poor decision making. Needs the premier league experience before we see the best of him (which by the way goes for most of our young players - all of them are making errors which is why we are still not getting results despite showing far better desire).

I think our best bet is to have him as a squad player, have him playing with some more experienced players who will hopefully come in during summer. In 2 years we might just see him become a proper first team player and hopefully a successful one.

**** me, a sensible post like this is bound to get ignored!

Herd, at 23, is starting to prove why we shouldn't write players off too young. Give Bannan a chance, he might just come good...

Thing is anybody can have a good game. The key is can they do it week in - week out - thats the difference between making it and not making it.

Bannan is a fringe player because we have no one else. I also think his 'good' games have in fact only been average.

I don't doubt his committment, effort , application - but at this level those attributes on there own are rarley enough.

I actually MON called it right - when he didn't play our kids - Only Cahill has gone on to prove him wrong.

Reminds me of O'Hara from Wolves. Loves seeing plenty of the ball, collects it from the keeper or the back four. Plays the odd short ball to get things going but then is prone to playing the odd Hollywood ball and losing possession. Needs a meat head to play next to him, a Roy Keane. Too lightweight for the Premier League.

Assist vs Liverpool, set-up Gabby on a plate vs Stoke. Fantastic corners. Given what we've got at the moment he is worth his place in the team. Links well with Ireland too. Yes he shouldn't be on the wing but I'd still rather we play him as at least he as an ounce of creativity about him unlike the rest of our players.

Him, Ireland and N'zog in a front 3 behind Bent is our best formation imo.

our best formation is 4-4-2. This 4-3-3/4-5-1 system has produced nothing but utter bollocks for 34 out of the 36 times we have played this season.

Bannan has no place in the premier league unless its the Scottish premier league

Absolute horse shit.

We usually get trampled all over in the middle of the park when we play 4,4,2 by way of having no physicality in the midfield. We are too shit to play 4,4,2 against any team with a midfield...

okay. 4-4-2 never worked under MON did it. you actually think we are better under mcleishs 4-5-1? We get trampled over into the middle of the park anyway. at least with 4-4-2 there is more of a threat upfront

4-4-2 under O'Neill was the start of our demise, when he played 4-5-1 with Gabby up top, we were challenging for 2nd & 3rd

He was playing great in the start of the season. He was easily our best player for the first few games but the emergence of Ireland and the car crash has really impacted his game. I say give him another season before we are willing to sell him. We can't just go selling our youth because they havent been playing their best of late. We will never progress as a club.

He was playing great in the start of the season. He was easily our best player for the first few games but the emergence of Ireland and the car crash has really impacted his game. I say give him another season before we are willing to sell him. We can't just go selling our youth because they havent been playing their best of late. We will never progress as a club.

Agree with all of this. People are quick to forget that stretch when Bannan was our best player bar an on fire Gabby.

Assist vs Liverpool, set-up Gabby on a plate vs Stoke. Fantastic corners. Given what we've got at the moment he is worth his place in the team. Links well with Ireland too. Yes he shouldn't be on the wing but I'd still rather we play him as at least he as an ounce of creativity about him unlike the rest of our players.

Him, Ireland and N'zog in a front 3 behind Bent is our best formation imo.

our best formation is 4-4-2. This 4-3-3/4-5-1 system has produced nothing but utter bollocks for 34 out of the 36 times we have played this season.

Bannan has no place in the premier league unless its the Scottish premier league

Absolute horse shit.

We usually get trampled all over in the middle of the park when we play 4,4,2 by way of having no physicality in the midfield. We are too shit to play 4,4,2 against any team with a midfield...

okay. 4-4-2 never worked under MON did it. you actually think we are better under mcleishs 4-5-1? We get trampled over into the middle of the park anyway. at least with 4-4-2 there is more of a threat upfront

4-4-2 under O'Neill was the start of our demise, when he played 4-5-1 with Gabby up top, we were challenging for 2nd & 3rd

I'm still amazed by how quickly people forget this.

4-4-2 offers no threat whatsoever of your midfield can't thread a ball through to the strikers.

And Bannan is a player who, in a confident team, can definitely thread that ball.

I can't believe some people are so keen to ditch a player who has been integral in so many of our goals this season...

Didn't think he had the best game yesterday but he admitted as much himself.

I was surprised he played to be honest because he really ran himself into the ground against Liverpool - he could barely walk when he left the pitch.

For those saying he doesn't work hard watch that game.

For me there is a terrific player in there but we aren't seeing it yet - earlier in season I thought he was great for a few games before the driving ban which has set him back. Right now he is trying too much and showing plenty of poor decision making. Needs the premier league experience before we see the best of him (which by the way goes for most of our young players - all of them are making errors which is why we are still not getting results despite showing far better desire).

I think our best bet is to have him as a squad player, have him playing with some more experienced players who will hopefully come in during summer. In 2 years we might just see him become a proper first team player and hopefully a successful one.

**** me, a sensible post like this is bound to get ignored!

Herd, at 23, is starting to prove why we shouldn't write players off too young. Give Bannan a chance, he might just come good...

Thing is anybody can have a good game. The key is can they do it week in - week out - thats the difference between making it and not making it.

Bannan is a fringe player because we have no one else. I also think his 'good' games have in fact only been average.

I don't doubt his committment, effort , application - but at this level those attributes on there own are rarley enough.

I actually MON called it right - when he didn't play our kids - Only Cahill has gone on to prove him wrong.

I would also argue that Craig Gardner has also proved him wrong.

Whenever I see the Barry Bannan thread jump to the top of the page, for some reason Im thinking there's been sort of incident/altercation

He's probably the most creative player in the team just now which is a concern

He needs to do the business over the last few games and prove once and for all he IS PL quality

4-5-1/4-3-3 is the new 4-4-2 and has been for years.

Its not a defensive formation at all, its an attacking one that just offers better shape, cover in the middle etc. I dont like 4-4-2 we are left open in CM too often, you use 4-5-1 if you have two decent wingers a good AM and a poacher, which we do. Its just McLeish doesn't let them get forward.

Why do you think Utd, Chelsea, Man City all use 4-5-1/4-3-3 for most of their formations.

4-5-1/4-3-3 is the new 4-4-2 and has been for years.

Its not a defensive formation at all, its an attacking one that just offers better shape, cover in the middle etc. I dont like 4-4-2 we are left open in CM too often, you use 4-5-1 if you have two decent wingers a good AM and a poacher, which we do. Its just McLeish doesn't let them get forward.

Why do you think Utd, Chelsea, Man City all use 4-5-1/4-3-3 for most of their formations.

4-2-3-1 and the 4-3-3/4-5-1 systems are now used alot.

the difference is with the better and bigger teams is that they switch from the 4-5-1 when they attack to become a 4-3-3. our problem is that we are way too deep and the wide men and attacking midfielder come too far back over the half way line and we just end up conceeding possesion.

mcleish should be banned from managing football clubs, way too defensive.

I agree but I dont think playing 4-4-2 will help. You just need to let players be free in a 4-5-1 attacking system.

Oh and Bannan might not influence the game all the time, but he still created the only open chance v Stoke for Gabby. Not his fault hes on the wing and has someone up front who cant predict where the ball will go.

He is a decent talent, but like many at Villa Park he is passive.

Many players of the past that you would drool to have in your side were diminutive.... like Johhny Giles, Billy Bremner

In Fact the best player in the world is and his mates Inesta and Xavi are

.... but they all have a bit more than talent.

The will to impose yourself on the opposition.

Hopefully he's not in the team tomorrow as he doesn't influence the game enough.

love that last bit.

"Influence the game"

These are the type of words missing from the present day Villa speak.

" driving force "

" eye of the tiger "

" never knows when he is beaten"

" has a will to win"

" has a winning mentality"

These are the kinda things wrong with us, thats whats missing from our lot.These are the words we should be associating with our lads.