Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

Young's position is unsurprising after Manchester United made tentative contact for the winger. He said: 'I did find myself sat (watching the Champions League final) thinking, "I wish I was out there". My opinion is that I can play in the biggest and best competitions.

'To challenge myself is to play in big competitions and hopefully one day I'll be able to do that.'

Downing's utterances were little short of a come-and-get-me plea. 'You sit at home and watch the Champions League, you hear the music come on and you see the teams and you think, "This is where I want to be. It's my ambition to play in it and I'd like to do that at some stage in my career".'

Asked whether he will be a Villa player next season, he added: 'I'm not sure. If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job.'

Get on with the job? A nice way to put it :( .. They have both pretty much said the same thing.. wouldn't surprise me if they both had agreed to say the same thing or something.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Disappointed if he goes. Won't be the end of the world. New manager, war chest of 50m+ more if bent decides to throw his teddy bear out pram, should give plenty of scope for dealing and potentially make villa stronger with better fit players.

2 good wingers should convince bent he is better here and we will be stronger.

Interesting times ahead plus more dead wood to go.

I don't really think Downing or Young are good enough to play in the Champions League consistently if I'm being honest. That's the thing that annoys me. The Europa League is just so bad that all players look to get to is the Champions League, they don't give a shit about the Europa League.

UEFA really need to sort out the Europa League to make it much more attractive to clubs, players, fans and TV companies. If they did that, then not all players would desperately want to leave for Champions League football as much as they are now.

I don't really think Downing or Young are good enough to play in the Champions League consistently if I'm being honest. That's the thing that annoys me. The Europa League is just so bad that all players look to get to is the Champions League, they don't give a shit about the Europa League.

UEFA really need to sort out the Europa League to make it much more attractive to clubs, players, fans and TV companies. If they did that, then not all players would desperately want to leave for Champions League football as much as they are now.

I agree too. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that Mr Young has a very high opinion of himself. Downing will be sought after because there aren't too many left footed, left wingers about. Decent player but has no bollocks for a scrap. If he leaves, I'd like to see Luke Young give him a tonking, put the prick into the stand! I'd also want at least 20 mill, although I don't think we'll get more than 15.

I agree too, and have thought this all along.

I will post in the "I was wrong" thread if indeed, I am. But I honeslty don't think Young is good enough for United - certainly not better than Valencia and Nani. And although I think Downing is good enough for Liverpool and/or Arsenal, I don't think he would set the place alight in the slightest.

There's a lot of hype around players these days and having watched these two week in week out for years I'm not confident they have a clue what they're about to do.

After reading the quotes today, I am pretty sure he's been tapped up. I wasn't sure at first but I really get the feeling now. So disappointed to be honest, I'm fine with Ash leaving he's always gave his all and given us a good couple of years service. Unfortunately we haven't got into the position he wants to be at during that time so I respect his decision to want to try elsewhere.

On the other hand Downing, a player who we spent a big amount of money on which could have been a huge risk with his injury. He didn't immediately settle, and although people started to question I think a good amount of people felt he'd come good including myself. He has now given us one good season and thinks he's suddenly too good for us. He now has control of the situation where if we don't sell him now we won't get anything near the price if we were to sell him with one year left on his contract. We've already paid him six months worth of wages when he wasn't even playing. I think he owes it to us to sign a new one but I can't see that happening, it's modern day football sadly. I hope he proves me wrong and he stays but something isn't right.

This whole "I want Champions League football" is just footballer speak for "I want more money". Unless Barcelona have a bad day at the office, no other club is going to win that Cup for a while.

Seriously **** them both if they think they are good enough for the CL then let them go for stacks of cash. They'll sink or swim, and judging by how inconsistent each of them are, then they'll sink.

Not that they give a shit cause they'll be earning $150,000 a week sitting on the bench "playing Champs League football". **** them, no player is bigger than Villa.

(no I don't mean David that scored the goal on Saturday either!)

At least with Young he stayed with us for a decent amount of time and contributed more than the price we paid him.

Downing? We saved his career who didn't even settle in the first season. He still owes us.

Â