Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I wouldn't sign a contract right now if I was Downing either, but I don't believe for a moment that he'll be sold, nor that he wants to leave. The uncertainty of the past few weeks is hardly the right circumstance to commit yourself to perhaps the most important contract of your life. Assuming that we appoint good manager, make a few signings and things look generally on the 'up', I would expect him to put pen to paper by the turn of the year.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the board appoint Hughes, he'll be gone. There's no way he'll want to stick around when the board are making their actions clear. That's no hope of Champions League, no hope of even top 6.
Please stop moaning. Downing is one player. That is still largely unproven at a consistent level in this league. I am sure there will be players intent on leaving whoever is appointed anyway.

If a player wants to leave, they must go IMO.

If the board appoint Hughes, he'll be gone. There's no way he'll want to stick around when the board are making their actions clear. That's no hope of Champions League, no hope of even top 6.
Please stop moaning. Downing is one player. That is still largely unproven at a consistent level in this league. I am sure there will be players intent on leaving whoever is appointed anyway.

If a player wants to leave, they must go IMO.

If we sold him for over 20m, I'd be celebrating.

I think he'll stay.

Despite our record of selling players in recent seasons, it's very much just been one key player out the door every summer.

It won't look very good for the board if Downing and Young both depart this season.

Young will leave, more contracts will be offered to Downing but whether he signs them is up to him so we'll probably be in an Ashley Young situation again next summer with him.

Some interesting quotes to appear in tomorrow's papers from Downing.. Asked outright if he would be at Villa next season. Said he was "not sure".

Meaning he will be off if a better offer comes along and he gets the chance I'm guessing.

Some interesting quotes to appear in tomorrow's papers from Downing.. Asked outright if he would be at Villa next season. Said he was "not sure".

Jesus... just keeps getting better and better.

Jesus... just keeps getting better and better.

and in tomorrows news Randy comes out and confesses to not having a pot to piss in and is selling Villa Park for scrap!

My posts from the Downing thread after the Blackpool match where his father made it sound like he was likely off:

Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 12:59 PM

Downing is probably gone this summer. I have heard from 3 people who know more than any of us at VT that he probably won't be here next season.

I read those articles and hope he meant what he said. If i've learned anything this year, it's don't believe what players say to the press. Or at least take it all with a grain of salt. What exactly could Downing say there when asked these questions? "We think GH has no frigging clue, but just hope he doesn't get us relegated?" I told his father towards the end of the match, "Your son is having an amazing season, I hope he stays...etc" He told me "we´ll see." That gave me a really negative vibe about whether he'd stay or not. I also have 2 other sources, that I won't mention on here, who are more pessimistic than that re Downing staying.

Around March I heard that even though Gabby signed a new deal...it's just to get value if he's sold as well. 99.9999% Young is gone, 75%+ Downing gone this summer (next if we don't get CL like Ashley now).

Maradona, one thing I learned over the past season and a half is that players care about themselves, money, fame and the team....usually in that order.

It's sad, but as I hear about some of the things said and done by OUR players...., my innocent and naive thoughts about sport begin to change. It's a business and the players are huge earners who get advice from people who all have their own personal angle...etc. Comments to the press about great club, history, the fans...etc. are usually pr.

I've never met Downing personally. But if the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, he's a #$%#$^#$^ His dad seemed like a real piece of trash. Like I said before, he's gone if a good offer (to Downing not to the club) comes in. If not, he'll get a pay raise. What a friggin world!!!!!

Meaning he will be off if a better offer comes along and he gets the chance I'm guessing.

Someone lives in the real world.

Name one player in the world who is not a mercenry unless you play for Barcelona ? example you are a villa fan and you are on £35k a week playing for your boyhood club and Manure come in offering £100K a wekk you woiuld be gone like a shot,so never mind downing who could not give a **** about villa in all honesty as long as he collects his monthly cheque and that goes for nearly every player on the planet.

Ungrateful word removed.

Don't know who else would have paid 12m (if memory serves) at that time for a crock..

Wonder where he would be now if we hadn't bought him.

£20m let him go.

Got plenty of talent and natural attributes. However, i can't see him ever becoming a key player at a top 4 club.

He hasn't got the drive needed. When games aren't going well he's not the player to turn to, when you need players to stand up and be counted you can guarantee he'll go missing, when a player shows commitment to a challenge you can be sure he will backing out of the tackle.

Ashley Young has had a disappointing season but never stops trying things, never goes missing, never fails to track back, never just shrugs his shoulders. He has annoyed with his whinging to the ref and arguing with opposition but he cares and wants to succeed, never got that feeling from Downing, despite his obvious talents.

To be honest, Arsenal have been linked and think his characteristics would fit in there perfectly.

His stock is high now and if he feels no loyalty or debt to the club say goodbye.

Â