Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing was our player of the year last season.

But for me

1 he lacks the bottle to be a good player.He's not , what i call a winner,has'nt got the heart say of AYoung.

2 For all the time he is in a good position, he never picks a player out, against Albion for example he was in their penalty area , free, at least 4 times, and never picked a player out.

Whenever i watch Charlie Adam, i always think the quality of the ball he puts into the area is much better than Downings, or Youngs tbh.

£20M for me, and i would sell him.

Charlie Adam is a good player but tries the Hollywood passes far too much, which is great when they work but he loses a lot of possession when it doesn't!

He also doesn't have the workrate of either Ash Young or Downing - both of whom work their socks off for the team.

To be honest it will be much harder to replace Downing with the money. I'd rather have Downing than the £20 million.

not me, think Downings been good but we could replace comfortably with 20m. Hes a 12m player and has performed as one. Id take the 20m. Not sure id replace with a like for like winger. Would be tempted to chuck it at City and try and get Milner back.

I dont think he will go but if Ash and Downing leave this summer then I will be as disillusioned as I can ever remember with football and Villa. Even more so than after Milner left.

While I think Downing is replaceable, I'd not accept anything under £25 million, simply because it's too much of a risk IMO to let two of our better if not best players go at the same time. Especially when they play in similar positions. Downing hasn't indicated he wants to leave, just not a new contract. I think he's happy here for the time being, keep him. Bring in another winger, let Albrighton continue to develop, if Downing hasn't signed new contract, sell him next season for £12-15 million and re-invest in the squad.

I think our team is going to be different from next year, midfield, defence, maybe a new striker, that we have to keep some players familiar around the team. Don't want 7/8 new players lining up.

Sell Downing on top of Ashley this summer, and we might aswell put the for sale signs up around Villa Park, and it wont be long before we will be playing SHA in the gas league.

You only progress by keeping your better players, and not replace them with inferior and cheaper options.

This was the way of HDE, remember?????

Do we really want to become a selling club?

Why not just keep him till the end of his contract and let him go for a free.

If he performs and gets us into the CL we'd get what £40m? Which is more than the £15-£20m we'd get for selling him...

Because we can get £20m for him if we sell him off? Why keep a player that perhaps won't give it his all and will want to leave?

We won't be getting CL anytime soon anyway so why risk keeping him in the hope we will get it and lose £20m when we had the chance..

To be honest it will be much harder to replace Downing with the money. I'd rather have Downing than the £20 million.

Agree 100%, hes worth more to us than money as I don't think we'll be able to get the same player in.

I wouldnt sell for any amount of money, not in this window anyway.

Because we can get £20m for him if we sell him off? Why keep a player that perhaps won't give it his all and will want to leave?

We won't be getting CL anytime soon anyway so why risk keeping him in the hope we will get it and lose £20m when we had the chance..

I know what your saying Dude, but when has this approach ever worked for us?

What about if we line up Nzogbia or Johnson or somone else first, get them in and then get an offer of £20m for Downing?

Might work if we start matching the players ambitions, since im sure we promised we would be doing this and that, when we signed them.

Thing is, i no longer think Randy has the cash to sustain that approach, and as much as i hate saying it, its proberly time to accept we are now an also ran club, or get hold of some outside investment.

I think where he is right now he'd know he must continue to give his all for us through next season if he really wants to move.

I would not doubt his commitment to playing his best for the Villa even if he doesn't want to be here.

Why would he want to go to Liverpool anyway? They have no European football next season either. He should give us another season (at least) and then see where the land lies. I would be disappointed to lose Downing and also disappointed in him as a person - I think he owes us for buying him whilst on crutches, and nursing him through almost a full season injured!

Â