Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Downin will leave this summer,i think its a case of he wants to see how we do next season befor penning a new deal,,plus whether its Houllier or someone else in charge i can't see Villa accepting any bid unless it was over £20 Mill and i cannot see that happening

He's got two years left on his contract, so why would we sell unless he puts in a transfer request? Downing will be a Villa player next season, don't believe all the crap you read in the rags. He was probably misquoted (papers NEVER do that, do they? )

The situation with Downing has become very similar to the one that developed with Gareth Barry during the summer of 2006.

All of the signs pointed to him going (I believe Portsmouth was the touted destination - as hard as that is to believe now) until the new manager was appointed, convinced him to stay and subsequently built the side around him. I feel that with the right appointment, a wave of renewed optimism and some clear direction established for the club that Downing may yet sign a new contract.

The situation with Downing has become very similar to the one that developed with Gareth Barry during the summer of 2006.

All of the signs pointed to him going (I believe Portsmouth was the touted destination - as hard as that is to believe now) until the new manager was appointed, convinced him to stay and subsequently built the side around him. I feel that with the right appointment, a wave of renewed optimism and some clear direction established for the club that Downing may yet sign a new contract.

Totally agree.

Ashley also said similar, and stated that he has yet to sit down with the chairman and the Manager to decide his future :shock:

So we may still have hope there aswell.

Like i said, come on Randy!!!!!!

So basically, Downing is just holding the club to ransom. word removed

Or seeing in what future direction we will go?

Listening to him in his scouse accent, and then realising hes in the England camp, did send a sghiver down my spine.

But, i still think we have a chance.

So basically, Downing is just holding the club to ransom. word removed

No, I think he's weighing up his options as any professional is going to do at this point. Ideally, you'd like to think that after offering him an opportunity in the Premier League whilst still injured would be rewarded with a little loyalty but then none of us are naive enough to still believe that loyalty is a factor with the modern footballer.

He's a very good player who has just enjoyed arguably his finest and most consistent season to date. He knows there will be other clubs interested in him and that those clubs may be bigger than Villa.

Villa, meanwhile, are in the midst of struggling to define exactly what our short- and long-term ambitions are and who is going to be the new figurehead with responsibility for delivering those ambitions. I think it's perfectly reasonable for Downing to wait and see just what happnes next before committing to anything.

Though his quotes about wanting to sign a new contract earlier in the month do jar with last week's quotes that indicate he is now hedging his bets - making one wonder exactly what was said when he and his agent met with Paul Faulkner.

Asked whether the Frenchman's plans would determine Downing's future at Villa Park, the former Middlesbrough man was clear, adding: "I have enjoyed working with Martin O'Neill, Kevin McDonald, Gary McAllister and Gerard Houllier so it doesn't influence my decision at all if he stays or goes."

Great to see player loyalty in full effect again!

Asked whether the Frenchman's plans would determine Downing's future at Villa Park, the former Middlesbrough man was clear, adding: "I have enjoyed working with Martin O'Neill, Kevin McDonald, Gary McAllister and Gerard Houllier so it doesn't influence my decision at all if he stays or goes."

Great to see player loyalty in full effect again!

I reckon they all read and quote the same sheet of paper, just changing the phrase a little, to suit their predicament :oops:

Â