Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

my point is, why say anything? what is the upside to him in making any of the statements that he has... if he's keeping his options open, just let his agent do the work that he's supposed to do.

He's putting himself in the ship window because he wants a move.

People need to stop taking these things personally. Downing does not give a flying **** about me, you or Aston Villa. He cares about pound notes and trophies.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're quite happy with the way hes conducting himself recently then wiggy?

Dont get me wrong, he hasnt conducted himself correctly. Although saying that, would people rather he came out and said "yes, im 100% staying" then **** off 1 month later? He's keeping his options open and i would rather him be honest with the club and the fans.

Just makes me laugh people saying they will be happy when he goes!?!?

Well the thing is Wiggy, he did say he was staying. Then he said he wasnt. Now hes not so sure. How on earth that can be construed as 'being honest' is beyond me. I would rather he just kept his mouth shut totally and done his business (whatever that may be) behind closed doors.

He is taking this club for a **** ride. Putting the feelers out over a possible move because hes had one decent season with us. Its basically saying to any interested parties 'im not commited to this club and the first decent offer that comes in for me im off'. Hes got one short memory ill tell you that because nobody would touch him with a bargepole when he was out injured. We did. now hes **** us over. Nice one stewie.

If you're okay with that then fair enough but i certainly aint.

Dont get me wrong, he hasnt conducted himself correctly. Although saying that, would people rather he came out and said "yes, im 100% staying" then **** off 1 month later? He's keeping his options open and i would rather him be honest with the club and the fans.

He is a quality footballer, I'll be gutted if he goes BTW..(just saying it before next part)

I think he's handled it badly because of how 'happy' he was here and how he wanted to repay the faith, then 2 weeks later, he wants to go.

To be honest, whatever he says, it doesn't matter, he wants to go and that thought process annoys me. Had he said "100% happy" and then left ...it would piss me off, if he said "want to leave" and left...it would also piss me off. I just feel he owes us at least another year. Could have come out, declared he wanted to play Champions League, in those big games but felt he owed Villa at least another year of football because the faith they showed in me ...and then come 12 months, if Villa hadn't pushed on, then you can accept someone like that wanting to leave....but to me, it's just too soon, I guess you shouldn't expect any loyalty in football these days but he's had 1 full season and now wants to **** off. Just not good enough for me.

He is a quality footballer, I'll be gutted if he goes BTW..(just saying it before next part)

I think he's handled it badly because of how 'happy' he was here and how he wanted to repay the faith, then 2 weeks later, he wants to go.

To be honest, whatever he says, it doesn't matter, he wants to go and that thought process annoys me. Had he said "100% happy" and then left ...it would piss me off, if he said "want to leave" and left...it would also piss me off. I just feel he owes us at least another year. Could have come out, declared he wanted to play Champions League, in those big games but felt he owed Villa at least another year of football because the faith they showed in me ...and then come 12 months, if Villa hadn't pushed on, then you can accept someone like that wanting to leave....but to me, it's just too soon, I guess you shouldn't expect any loyalty in football these days but he's had 1 full season and now wants to **** off. Just not good enough for me.

See my other post mate.

which teams will be in the champs league places though thats the thing. i'd say its chelsea, man city, man utd for def, then spuds, arsenal, liverpool for the last spot. how long before uefa make champs league places for the top 6 because everyone wants to play in it?!

right now we are in the 3rd group with the likes of everton / newcastle in my opinion. players dont have the loyalty we do to the team and in many respects we shouldnt expect them to. its a job to them. with the rich getting richer and likes of man city and chelsea being able to buy their way to the top table we shouldnt expect that we will be as big a draw as we should be.

sad to say it but Villa is now a team that will have amazing days occassionally but if we are realists the money pumped in around us and the mercenary approach of players and agents will mean everyone is always looking for the next big thing. look at spurs - did brilliantly last season, QF of champs league yet modric and bale looking for ways out to bigger things. sign of the times unfortunately.

i said at the end of last season (09-10) that this will be the best we have for 20 years with a cup final, a cup semi, europe and 6th place. not being a pessemist but just the way football is going.

UTV

I think the question has to be asked, do Villa fans really want to see Young and Downing in Villa shirts again. I don't, especially Downing. He doesn't deserve to wear the Villa shirt again IMO.

All modern day footballers are like that and I don't think any fan has the moral ground to accuse them for being the way they are, seriously. Just like a club has no problem releasing or selling a player who hasn't fulfilled the expectations, so do the players who feel are being dragged back by a club underachieving have the right not to sign an extension and/or ask for a transfer. Don't expect loyalty and sentiment when it comes to business, there's no room for that and the very few exceptions only prove the rule.

Not having a manger certainly aint helping. The board needs to pull their fingers out their arses quicktime because we might not have any players left when we do eventually appoint somebody!!

SORT IT OUT!!!

Agreed.

Originally I was pissed off with people on here being so impatient; but it's got the point already where this manager limbo is harming us; both in the media and internally.

If we want to be challenging for 6th place; the board need to bring in a new manager and either keep Downing/Young, or use the money (which should be around 40m) to get good replacements and build this team up again.

I think the question has to be asked, do Villa fans really want to see Young and Downing in Villa shirts again. I don't, especially Downing. He doesn't deserve to wear the Villa shirt again IMO.

It would be far worse for Villa if he leaves this summer.

A) he's a quality player

B) We're already losing 1of our best players in the same position

C) If Downing and Young both go then it's only a matter of time before Bent and any other half decent Villa player hands in a transfer request citing lack of ambition.

So ask yourself do you want to let Downing dictate the situation and leave basically undermining the wholse squad and effectively waving the white flag, or do you want to say to Downing sorry mate you're under contract for 2 years and we dont want to sell you this year so better get on with it. Alternatively you could go and play with the reserves if you like mate.

People need to stop taking these things personally. Downing does not give a flying **** about me, you or Aston Villa. He cares about pound notes and trophies.

Exactly this. People saying "he doesnt deserve to wear the shirt". Do you really think he gives a toss what we think or feel? Wearing the Villa shirt doesnt mean a damn thing to anyone other than lads who were born in this area and play for the team like Gabby etc. Do people think Downing is sitting at home now reading this forum with a tear in his eye at our thoughts? He's sitting at home all right, but sipping £1000 bottles of Champagne listening to his agent waxing lyrical about what wages he could be getting.

It would be far worse for Villa if he leaves this summer.

A) he's a quality player

Exactly, I actually dont care if he hates us and wants to burn villa park to the ground as long as he gives his all and I do think he will always give his best performances as it would hurt him more than it would us to go out and play shit.

I dont think we can afford to lose Downing and in this day in age sorry but you dont get the best players who all love your club every single one of them is a mercenary underneath.

You just have to play the game and get, as much as you can, what is best for the Villa and an in form Downing playing the Villa is very much in our interests.

Downing has probably burnt his bridges with me after that disrespectful outburst.

To think, this is the same player that was happy as larry and happt at Aston Villa just over two weeks ago. Just tells you all you need to know about the modern footballer. Not all of them, just scumbags like Downing.

The best bit is, he says he wants champions elague football. so that leaves the door open for bids from Chelsea (unlikely), Man Utd (unlikely) and Man City (can't see it myself). Oh and Arsenal should they qualify

That's taking a big risk that one of that small band will come in and rescue Stewart from his apparent Villa hell, for the required 20-25m

I'd LOVE it if we said to him. 'Ok Stewart, you've shown you true colours. And providing one of those 4 come in with the required 20m you'll be sold. But if they don't you'll be starting the season on the bench at best and watching your newly ressurgent England career go down the pan'

Tough love, for a rocket polisher of the highest order. I'm sure a season sitting on his arse being forgotten will be the slap in the face he so richly deserves.

**** bellend.

I don't know. If he wants to go I'd rather he went now and that money was re-invested and players brought in who actually want to be here. I don't understand why players think they are all that and will dominate the Champions League! Just sell Young and Downing and reinvest the money and bring in N'Zogbia and another attacking midfielder and give Albrighton a run in the first team! Really disappointed with Downing.

Downing is a professional footballer. He has "handled" it like a professional footballer not a fan.

I can't blame him and anyone that does, in my humble opinion, is guilty of deflecting blame because of a lack of willingness to confront the real issue which is we as a club are not good enough for top 4 or 5 or 6 actually now on a regular basis. We are a mid to upper mid table club because that is how we act. We will never hang on to players of this calibre for too long, we should enjoy them while we have them as we are a feeder club. Simple as that I'm afraid.

I'd LOVE it if we said to him. 'Ok Stewart, you've shown you true colours. And providing one of those 4 come in with the required 20m you'll be sold. But if they don't you'll be starting the season on the bench at best and watching your newly ressurgent England career go down the pan'

Tough love, for a rocket polisher of the highest order. I'm sure a season sitting on his arse being forgotten will be the slap in the face he so richly deserves.

**** bellend.

Our manager (yeah...i know) should come out and do what Fergie did when Rooney wanted out of United. Thats the way to deal with this sort of issue.

Downing is a professional footballer. He has "handled" it like a professional footballer not a fan.

I can't blame him and anyone that does, in my humble opinion, is guilty of deflecting blame because of a lack of willingness to confront the real issue which is we as a club are not good enough for top 4 or 5 or 6 actually now on a regular basis. We are a mid to upper mid table club because that is how we act. We will never hang on to players of this calibre for too long, we should enjoy them while we have them as we are a feeder club. Simple as that I'm afraid.

Could'nt agree more, well said Rich.

I don't know. If he wants to go I'd rather he went now and that money was re-invested and players brought in who actually want to be here.quote]

I used to think like that but you learn that you never really get the best players and they actually want to be here...they only want to be here as long as it suites them / best offer on the table at the time.

As soon as something better comes along they are off.

Could'nt agree more, well said Rich.

Thing is tho guys (and I do agree) - Downing (along with the other players of course) play a big part in us being not at that level anymore. If they cant get us to where they/us want to be (and realise that - then lets cash in and try someone else. They probably wont be good enuff either, but were not gettin ther anyway with downing and young.

Gutted about Young still.

Genuinely not arsed about Downing if we get 20m for him

Either way, there replaceable - just whether or not we will replace them!!

Â