Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

**** Stewart Downing. **** James Milner. **** this game. He's not exactly making comments that would endear him to the VP crowd if he stays. No way the board could let him go either. But that's what I thought about Milner. It's all pointless anyway, for me it just feels like the actual winners are going to be coming from a smaller and smaller pot of teams, domestically and in Europe. Money is killing the game and it makes me not give a damn like I used to.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only thing is it puts us back to square one.....as usual. If both go, we not only have to pray that DB does'nt follow suit, but we have to replace them with as good if not better. And what are the chances of that?

It's amazing how someone can have a change of tune in the space of a matter of weeks. Those comments have really annoyed me, however, all would be forgiven if he does stay and sign a new contract :D. Don't like how the fans are been played though.

However, if he is frustrated in his desire to depart for a fresh challenge, he insists he will emulate Gareth Barry's professionalism by giving his all to the side until permitted to move. Asked whether he expected to start next season at Villa Park, Downing said: "I'm not sure. My agent had a meeting with the club and he just felt it wasn't the right time to sign my contract. I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go. So I just decided to leave it as it is. We expressed our feelings, and they said to me they're going to improve the team and the squad. So, as far as I know, I'll still be reporting back for pre-season because I've heard nothing."

Much could yet depend on the identity of Houllier's successor and the level of squad re-building pursued over the summer. "If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal," he said. "I'll do my best and give 100%. If the fans want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine. I'll still give my best because I'm employed to do so. But all players want to play at the highest level and in the biggest competitions. With England as well, all the top players play in good teams. I'm no different. You just want the best for your career. You want to finish with medals at the end of it so I'm ready for the step up.

"You sit and watch the Champions League at home, and listen to that music come on, and you see the teams and think: 'That's where I want to be.' It's the pinnacle. It's the best. It's the best standard with the best players. I'm no different. I'm sure other players are the same as well. It would be nice to do that one day."

I am really shocked by Downing WTF!!!!! .

First Gareth Barry, then James Milner, now Ashley Young and Stewart Downing. Tell you what, if they'd have stayed at Villa, we may have built something, but never mind! Tara.

Just read his comments on the Mail site and to be honest I feel sick. He's completely gone back on his word and I've lost all respect for him now, every single bit of respect.

**** him off. I don't want him playing in our famous Claret & Blue again.

Ungrateful word removed!

You know what pisses me off the most is how every player has this god gven right to play champions league and win trophys. You've had one good season downing jesus maybe if some players actually stuck around we'd be competing with the big boys! Sick of this shit every god damn window.

This whole "I want Champions League football" is just footballer speak for "I want more money". Unless Barcelona have a bad day at the office, no other club is going to win that Cup for a while.

Eh?

Playing champions league football is playing it ..don't have to win it.

How must Darren Bent feel now ?

Like **** off I'd imagine.

Ones things for sure the managerial choice is going to have to be spot on in terms of making our top players think he is someone who can take the club forward and match their own ambitions.

How must Darren Bent feel now ?

Like **** off I'd imagine.

Ones things for sure the managerial choice is going to have to be spot on in terms of making our top players think he is someone who can take the club forward and match their own ambitions.

If we hire Hughes, the board would have to be brought into serious question. It would just be a backwards step after another.

Downing can **** off with those comments tbh. I don't care if a new manager comes in who persuades him to sign a new deal, we'll all know it was simply about the money. Still it happens to Man U with Rooney and Citeh with Tevez and they get the deal so shouldn't really be too surprised. Would rather see Albrighton, Bannan etc given their chance over these mercenaries.

To think I had Downing's name printed on the back of my shirt.

To think I always used to defend Downing at school when people tried to say how he was a poor player.

To think I was ecstatic when we signed him because he was probably my favourite player outside of Villa.

And this is how he repays me :|

Seriously, for the first time (at the last game of the season) I heard the Holte End chant his name and this is how he responds.

Did you see his live webchat on the OS? He was saying all the right things about he wanted to stay.

And he hasn't even got a move yet.

How will the crowd react to him first of game of next season?

If the fans want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine

He cleary doesn't care what the fans think of him.

Downing has the potential to go down as a bigger Judas than Gareth 'Judas' Barry himself... :|

What gets me is that we seem to be a selling club again.

Why cant we hang onto our star players and why do we let players wind their contracts down lie no other club does.

I seriously think we have some mis management at the club whether it's at staff or boardroom level either way it needs sorting out asap at least then we would get proper cash for our players and then the club can dictate rather than the player dictate when and who he goes to.......

few weeks back and he was talking about staying, regardless of relegation or not. now all this shite. what a u turn.

obviously been tapped up and let his dodgy agent deal with it. note how he says his agent said not to sign the new contract.

he really aint all that to be honest, a good season in a shit team this year. he was dire the season before, playing like a right fanny! ive had enough of all these players with no loyalty. its not champions league, its for the££££££££££££

the **** will be the next gareth barry, i hope the club block any move this season and let the **** tough it out. back stabbing bastard.

i bet he never trades his forex like a pro.

Â