Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I've never made any secret of the fact that I do not rate Downing. His stats are shit compared with our other two wingers and he completely neglects his defensive responsibilities. For me, if I had Young, Albrighton and Downing then he would sit on the bench. I am not convinced he is good enough for us so good luck in the Champions League :) To sum up I think he is a coward on the pitch that avoids challenges, he won't track back and his shots on target ratio is actually shockingly bad.

I really and truly couldn't care less if he leaves.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It gets better and better doesnt it? This is getting eerily familiar now. We buy a player for big money. Put up with the first average season, enjoy the excellent second season only for the player to be "unsettled" and engineer a move before the polish is dry on the Premier League trophy.

We're a glorified feeder club guys I'm afraid to say. It's no disgrace, no are Spurs, and so will Liverpool if they miss out on CL football for a couple more years. If Bent has a season next year like the back end of the last then we'll be having this same convo about him for 35m+ next summer.

I've never made any secret of the fact that I do not rate Downing. His stats are shit compared with our other two wingers and he completely neglects his defensive responsibilities. For me, if I had Young, Albrighton and Downing then he would sit on the bench.
Trouble is, the way things are going, you'll just have Albrighton. :(

I'll be **** pissed if Downing f*cks off somewhere else after we nursed the f*cker back to health for a year before he even played a game.

And I'll be pissed if we don't get at least 20mill for him.

And why the f*ck are we getting f*ck all for Young?

Surely he's worth 20mill?

Calm down dear...

Young is in his last year of his contract, and IMO has been a good player for us and deserves to move on to bigger and better teams to win things.

As for Downing, i think he is just saying this to get a better contract, which he is going to get anyway.

Well aren't you a dandy boy?

I'll be **** pissed if Downing f*cks off somewhere else after we nursed the f*cker back to health for a year before he even played a game.

Calm down dear...

Young is in his last year of his contract, and IMO has been a good player for us and deserves to move on to bigger and better teams to win things.

As for Downing, i think he is just saying this to get a better contract, which he is going to get anyway.

We are turning into Wigan **** Athletic. Buy and sell and couple of years later.

Hoestly you cannot blame the club for this, not at all. The players have us over a barrel. We cannot justify spending big money (that US fans put in) and then let then let them walk away for free. Perhaps in future we need to look at the mentality of players we buy.

Trouble is, the way things are going, you'll just have Albrighton. :(

I'm not over worried at the moment. Not like I was last year with the timing of 'him who shan't be mentioned' leaving.

Appoint a new manager with the entire summer to prepare and back him with some money and I think we can improve on the 9th place we squeeked this season.

Plenty of time to get ourselves sorted. Plus with all the players leaving/left it means the new manager can put his own stamp on the club relatively quickly by bringing his own players in.

I don't like the thought of 'feeder club' but if you face facts every club outside the top 4 are feeder clubs to one extent or another.

i'm not sure if downing is just genuinely thick as pig shit, but what on earth is he trying to gain from coming out with things like this:

"You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there.

"You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it.

"If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal. I'll do my best and give 100%.

"It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine.

"I'll still give my best because I'm employed to do so."

what is the upside in him coming out and saying that he has no affinity whatsoever to the club that he plays for. he plays because that is what he is paid to do, but he is in this for himself and himself only - if he gets a better offer, then he will simply take it?

while it may be factually correct, what exactly is he hoping to achieve from coming out and explicitly saying that....

sometimes i just don't understand people...

What I always find amazing is how much players will listen to their agents. Its like they really have no brain, personality or even know what they want.

Its a bit of a kick in the nuts but there are plenty of players in the world that can replace Stewart Downing he's not Ronaldo and he's not Messi.

I dont subscribe to this whole feeder club bolloks either, plenty of clubs bigger than us lose their players. Its just the way football is, player comes in betters himself, moves on, it happens all the time everywhere.

I just think his comments are little ungrateful given how much he earned whilst he was hobbling along and then upon his return played like a bit of a spanner till he had a pre season. Also if he does stay he's now gone from being a fans favourite to a bit of a prick and if he doesnt go this summer then he'll certainly go next summer.

Calm down dear...

When it gets cold enough

I now it's been said over and over but seriously. I hope the players read this site.

YOU WANT CHAMPS LEAGUE? THEN EARN IT! YOU WOULD BE PLAYING CHAMPS LEAGUE IF YOU HAD DONE GOOD ENOUGH WITH THE VILLA!

OUR SEASON IS THE SUM OF YOUR ACTIONS ON THE PITCH. WE DIDN'T QUALIFY FOR CHAMPS LEAGUE, IF THAT ISN'T A REFLECTION OF HOW YOU PLAYED THEN I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS!

Sorry about the caps, I want to make sure the pricks read it.

U know what?? **** him off. I aint bothered. Like others have said, hes easily replaceable.

This attitude he has developed over the last couple of weeks absolutely stinks and i dont want him at this club when hes speaking like this.

I think the question has to be asked, do Villa fans really want to see Young and Downing in Villa shirts again. I don't, especially Downing. He doesn't deserve to wear the Villa shirt again IMO.

actually, wiggy, my thoughts are not actually related to whether downing stays or goes... all that i have questioned is the sense of him making the statements that he has to the press...

just seems incredibly stupid to me, regardless of what he, or the club decides to ultimately do...

You're quite happy with the way hes conducting himself recently then wiggy?

Dont get me wrong, he hasnt conducted himself correctly. Although saying that, would people rather he came out and said "yes, im 100% staying" then **** off 1 month later? He's keeping his options open and i would rather him be honest with the club and the fans.

Just makes me laugh people saying they will be happy when he goes!?!?

my point is, why say anything? what is the upside to him in making any of the statements that he has... if he's keeping his options open, just let his agent do the work that he's supposed to do.

Â