Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

I guess I have no pride.

I would be pathetically grateful if Downing stayed with us for another season and would value his contribution to the side.

It does however sound like he's been tapped uo so I doubt whether we will have the chance to cheer him in a Villa shirt next season.

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Downing has two years remaining of his current contract but he has reiterated his stance of not wanting to commit to longer at this juncture.

He said: 'My agent had a meeting with the club - just one meeting - and he just felt it was the right time not to sign my contract.

'I've still got two years to go, so I've still got a long time to go, so I just decided to leave it as it is.

'Will I be at Villa next season? I'm not sure.

'I mean, we had the meeting with the club, we expressed our feelings and they said to me they're going to improve the team and the squad.

'So, as far as I know, I'll still be reporting back for pre-season because I've heard nothing.'

Downing maintains he will continue to be totally committed to Villa should he remain even if fans have been upset at his current stance.

He said: 'You hope they do (understand) but normal fans will want you to stay at their club for the rest of your life. If you do leave there's obviously a bit of bitterness there.

'You hope they do understand because, it's like any job, if there's a better job on hand, or a better level to do it, then people do it.

'If I don't move and I stay, I'll get on with the job as normal. I'll do my best and give 100%.

'It's up to their fans and their opinions of me. If they want to be loud and clear with what they think of me, then that's fine.

'I'll still give my best because I'm employed to do so.'

If i dont move ... and bitterness if a player leaves

WELL downing u are a joke - gone from fan fav to a real dickhead in a few weeks!!!! Its obvs he wants out and looks like is agent been talking to clubs , with Ash going wat a start to the summer :)

I wont be cheering the clearing in the woods now either way he might aswell leave after saying that today, bent will probably say something similar tomorrow i genuinely wouldnt be suprised to be honest everything villa related lately has just been utter shite.

i would not say we are now a selling club, just have had players that have improved at the club, been tapped up and took the money and run.

i loved milner as a player, but no doubt, he is one greedy bastard. its all about money.

I said a couple of months back I had a feeling he would want out and sadly that now seems to be the case.

I'd hazard a guess when he signed the club sold itself as one that was looking to win things and challenge for a top 4 place and for his first season here we came pretty close to matching that. However the season just gone we flirted with relegation for the vast majority of it, threw the towel in on a cup game before it had kicked off and are now on the verge of selling one of his better team mates in Ashley Young. Not quite the scenario he was sold.

Its possible that this could all be turned around and we could inspire our better players to want to stay by making a statement in terms of the manager we bring in and then backing him with the funds required to again get us challenging for a top 4 place.

Tough one really

Seems every player wants to play in the champs league and yet to get there you have to sign decent players that keep buggering off every few seasons

The days off a clough type manager taking a team from nowhere seem to be over , all you can do now is get a super rich sugar daddy or resign yourself to the fact that someone will always take your decent players

i would not say we are now a selling club, just have had players that have improved at the club, been tapped up and took the money and run.

i loved milner as a player, but no doubt, he is one greedy bastard. its all about money.

This. The general mentioned in the past we have been willing to enter into negotiations with "want away" players on similar terms than the buying club.

Sadly, we did not have players who were loyal to Aston Villa and our ambitions.

I think a lot depends on who we get as our next manager and whether they can persuade him to stay. I'd like him to stay, even after today's comments. I still think he's got an awful lot to offer. However if we have to sell, sell at a premium, get as much as we can and get a suitable replacement asap, IE Adam Johnson.

Tough one really

Seems every player wants to play in the champs league and yet to get there you have to sign decent players that keep buggering off every few seasons

The days off a clough type manager taking a team from nowhere seem to be over , all you can do now is get a super rich sugar daddy or resign yourself to the fact that someone will always take your decent players

Yep. Everyone wants everything NOW. No sense of sticking with a team, keep improving and giving your all to get there in the end. Who knows, we may have done it by now if things had worked out differently. A midfield of Downing, Young, Milner and Barry would have certainly given us a fighting chance.

Football is broken. :cry:

whatever happened to players working to achieve success.

What glory is there is walking into another club whose players have got them to champions league level just to get a couple of games here and there and ride on their coat tails?

I want players that want to play for Aston Villa in the Champion's League not just play in the Champion's League.

Barry - kind of easiest to take... long servant at the club... but spouted the usual champions league bollocks and went to man city .. for the cash... they have qualified this season yes, but no chance of winning the damn thing.

Milner... in my opinion, shit on us like he did at newcastle. they would not give him the money he wanted, so he came to AVFC. loved by the fans, a true villa type of player. but then... £££££££ came calling. Does he accept a £80,000 a week pay rise, or the £100,000 promised by citeh. Does he go from holte end hero to eastlands sub... oh yes. does he give a shit? not when he looks ar the bank balance.

Young - got a shock coming to him, the arrogant arsehole. will go tits up me thinks. i started to think he was not even good enough for the villa at times, so lets see how he fairs with a "top four" team.

Downing - lets us lap up his claims of being loyal, happy and here regardless of relegation, then BOOM, the clearing in the woods sprouts his head. so obviously tapped up, its obvious. liverpool i bet- champions league - no chance.

Once these two are gone, plus friedel, beye, warnock, collins and ireland, i think we can concentrate on the core element of the team and build up some proper team spirit and loyalty, but it todays football world, thats hard to find.

I think Bent will stick around, he has only just signed a contract. Plus i think we will replace these players with equal quality, if not better.

Onwards and upwards

UTV

i would of thought that with ash creaming his xtra small size boxers at the prospect of going to manu, the decision on GH and the overall shit feeling we have endured this season that downing, "mr commited" would have kept it shut for a while at least.

they go to the england camps and just cant keep keep stum. His words are basically that a contract was offered, he was advised to refuse it and will stay if he has too, but will be a good boy and still play to earn his £45k a week.

T.W.A.T - Bye downing.

**** Young and **** Downing. Pair of tossers!

If it wasn't for the Villa I think I'd follow beach volleyball or something because I actually can't stand modern day football.

-Money has ruined the game.

-Turned players into complete rocket polishers.

-Created less of a level playing field for other clubs.

-You can't stand in stadia anymore (even though we still do)

-You can't swear without a jobsworth steward trying to earn his minimum wage.

-You get to a cup final and most of the tickets are taken up by corporate sponsors while real fans miss out.

-You ask for a balti pie down the Villa and get a tray of chips, because the people serving can't speak a word of English.

-Ticket prices generally have gone through the roof.

-Atmosphere, especially at home, is generally shite at all clubs nowadays.

-Small Heath Alliance still haven't gone bust.

:|

Â