Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting fact: we've had 4 managers since Downing joined and he's the only player to score under every one of them.

EDIT: Just realised Young has also scored under all of those managers as well. :lol:

Nah, **** the asshole. A few months ago it was ''I'll stay even if we're relegated''.

Would really like to see that quote.

But when asked if he would stay at the club no matter what division they were in Downing replied “Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/04/02/stewart-downing-pledges-to-stay-at-aston-villa-97319-28445173/

Nah, **** the asshole. A few months ago it was ''I'll stay even if we're relegated''.

Would really like to see that quote.

But when asked if he would stay at the club no matter what division they were in Downing replied “Yes, I am happy here. There is speculation that players are going to clubs all the time but I am happy here.

http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/aston-villa-fc/aston-villa-news/2011/04/02/stewart-downing-pledges-to-stay-at-aston-villa-97319-28445173/

Exactly - he doesn't mention anything about the prospect of relegation himself does he? Maybe the question put to him was phrased that way, maybe it wasn't - but do you seriously believe that had we gone down there was even the remotest possibility of him not leaving?

As I said earlier, I do find it odd that his encouraging comments of a few weeks ago were contradicted by his quotes last week but I've personally got no problem with him considering his options right now because until the club appoints a new manager everything remains up in the air. I'm sure I would do the same were I in his shoes.

But I absolutely believe that if we make the right managerial appointment that he can be persuaded to stay.

Asked whether the Frenchman's plans would determine Downing's future at Villa Park, the former Middlesbrough man was clear, adding: "I have enjoyed working with Martin O'Neill, Kevin McDonald, Gary McAllister and Gerard Houllier so it doesn't influence my decision at all if he stays or goes."

Great to see player loyalty in full effect again!

Well, except for the fact that he's still phrasing the whole thing in terms of "[his] decision." When he gave his quotes a few weeks ago about staying no matter what, I don't think there was any "decision" to speak of.

*15 Rummies later* Be all togethey now.........

"I know that someday you'll want me to want you

When I'm strong for somebody new

And tho' you don't want me now, I'll get along somehow

And then I won'ttttttt wantttttttttttttt youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!!!!!"

:puke:

If we sell Young and Downing then I fully expect Bent to be next out. He signed for us to increase his England chances by linking up well with Downing and Ash, if both go, he'll not only question our ambition, but also question what it'll do to his England dreams.

Selling Downing would be suicide for this club, IMO.

I posted on here previous.

Downing is going nowhere. Its just his agent getting other clubs a sniff so he can negotiate a better contract. It went sour after his agent met Randy and Falkner about his contract. His agent obviously did'nt like what was offered!

All agents now want there players on 100k a week contracts, unfortunately we are not offering that. His agent is also Stevie Gerards so is why he is being linked to Liverpool. I dont believe there's much in it!

If we sell Young and Downing then I fully expect Bent to be next out. He signed for us to increase his England chances by linking up well with Downing and Ash, if both go, he'll not only question our ambition, but also question what it'll do to his England dreams.

Selling Downing would be suicide for this club, IMO.

Bent can't really be sold for 3/4 years so we're getting his best years. (Unless he becomes shit which I doubt highly)

I personally think Stewie was trying to force Villa's hand to appoint a new manager and in the process attempt to generate some interest for negotiating power on his contract. I think everyone of our players just wants it clarified ASAP.

Â