Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why did he sign?

I don't get it.. I mean he comes running here, injured, after playing a major part in relegating Boro.. Then after finally completing his 1st full season & using us to recuperate, on big wages, he drops this on the club at a time which blatantly shows he has absolutely zero interest in AVFC or it's fans.

This is everything that is wrong with the game & the agent involved needs shaming too as he is one of the short sighted greedy idiots who are ruining the game & who will eventually kill it..

Are these people paid by the top 4 clubs to create all this ridiculousness as an assurance that they stay as the top 4? I mean it's hardly in most of the players interests really is it as they get one or 2 years sat on a bench & then they seldom regain their previous level & end up falling away to mediocrity... Still i guess at least they may have a fat bank account & an FA cup winners medal (which they didn't actually play in of course)... DOH!

Bizarre.. very bizarre.

I still think with a new manager we are in better shape than Liverpool. I really don't understand the pull they still have.

Liverpool are much much bigger than us, it would be naive to think otherwise.

I know they are a bigger club historically and all that but I think the potential in our squad with a top manager is greater than theirs right now. Gerrard and Carragher are old now and their youngsters are not as good as ours. We can match their wages and I'd much rather have Darren Bent than Andy Carroll.

I still think with a new manager we are in better shape than Liverpool. I really don't understand the pull they still have.

I know they are a bigger club historically and all that but I think the potential in our squad with a top manager is greater than theirs right now. Gerrard and Carragher are old now and their youngsters are not as good as ours. We can match their wages and I'd much rather have Darren Bent than Andy Carroll.

They already have a top manager. Many players would jump at the chance to play for Dalglish, he has more pull than the likes of Hughes and Moyes could ever dream of having. Unfortunately for us.

I can see why Downing is putting out feelers. He has just had the best season of his career, broken back into England & is hearing from his agent about interest from Arsenal and who knows else. Given his age, and the fact that he has suffered a pretty bad injury in the past, he may be thinking it is now or never for him and he wants to move while the window of opportunity is there.

However, at the very least I do not think the club will even consider selling Downing this transfer window unless it's Man City-type crazy money (ie 20m plus). Downing can want away all he wants but at the end of the day we hold his registration for another two years and he is contracted to play for AVFC. I can see Randy digging in his heels over this one because I think the club's image will suffer immensely if both he and Young go at the same time.

To me I think if the only clubs really after him are Liverpool & Arsenal he will be going nowhere - if we place an 18m valuation on him I doubt Arsenal would cough up that much and Liverpool may, but Downing's stated desire of playing at a higher level can't be achieved with Liverpool next season so he can hardly makea big song & dance about champions league then throw his toys out over a move to Liverpool. The papers throwing around a 12m pound valuation are taking the piss though, considering we paid 13m for him from a relegated team and he was crocked for 9mths (albeit it was us who crocked him!). Anyone who wants out player of the year with 2 years on his contract will need to cough up 18m+ one might guess.

Next summer might be a different story but much can happen between then & now. A few good signings, a more successful season & we knock on the door again and he may change his mind.

Debatable about the youngsters. The Liverpool academy is starting to produce some real quality again under the guidance of Borrell and Segura - two of the guys who helped bring through this current Barcelona side at La Masia.

You could make the case that Liverpool are well positioned to emulate Barca with the current set-up and Kenny returning to re-establish the pass-and-move philosophy.

With the new owners and an ambitious new project, I'd see Liverpool as quite an attract draw right now - despite the temporary lack of European competition.

Admittedly, I am biased though.

I'll be **** pissed if Downing f*cks off somewhere else after we nursed the f*cker back to health for a year before he even played a game.

And I'll be pissed if we don't get at least 20mill for him.

And why the f*ck are we getting f*ck all for Young?

Surely he's worth 20mill?

This summer could turn out to be one of the worst for Villa fans. God I hope our team doesn't crumble. I hope we aren't in a relegation struggle again. We didn't spend so much on Bent for him to play of a shit team with players that want to go for champs league. IF YOU WANT GODDAMN CHAMPIONS LEAGUE, WHY DON'T YOU TRY TO HELP YOUR CURRENT CLUB GET THERE INSTEAD OF JUST SIGNING TO A CLUB ALREADY THERE?! Futbolers taking the easy way out with no respect to their clubs these days. It's crap.

Downing sounds like a 12 year old with all this "that could be me" rubbish. He's had half a decent season and that's it - he'd struggle to make the reserves at Man Ure ! I agree with others, he owes this club and he should knuckle down and deliver some pay back.

First Gareth Barry, then James Milner, now Ashley Young and Stewart Downing. Tell you what, if they'd have stayed at Villa, we may have built something, but never mind! Tara.

I know. Would have been a midfield for the ages. Such a **** shame.

I can see why Downing is putting out feelers. He has just had the best season of his career, broken back into England & is hearing from his agent about interest from Arsenal and who knows else. Given his age, and the fact that he has suffered a pretty bad injury in the past, he may be thinking it is now or never for him and he wants to move while the window of opportunity is there.

However, at the very least I do not think the club will even consider selling Downing this transfer window unless it's Man City-type crazy money (ie 20m plus). Downing can want away all he wants but at the end of the day we hold his registration for another two years and he is contracted to play for AVFC. I can see Randy digging in his heels over this one because I think the club's image will suffer immensely if both he and Young go at the same time.

To me I think if the only clubs really after him are Liverpool & Arsenal he will be going nowhere - if we place an 18m valuation on him I doubt Arsenal would cough up that much and Liverpool may, but Downing's stated desire of playing at a higher level can't be achieved with Liverpool next season so he can hardly makea big song & dance about champions league then throw his toys out over a move to Liverpool. The papers throwing around a 12m pound valuation are taking the piss though, considering we paid 13m for him from a relegated team and he was crocked for 9mths (albeit it was us who crocked him!). Anyone who wants out player of the year with 2 years on his contract will need to cough up 18m+ one might guess.

Next summer might be a different story but much can happen between then & now. A few good signings, a more successful season & we knock on the door again and he may change his mind.

I agree with this.

He must have been tapped up. It doesn't just happen to us either, it's just that now it seems to be happening like clockwork. Of course the board will be blamed but we all know they can't compete financially with the likes of City. I'd rather have owners not willing to spend past their means and put the club's existence into grave danger than owners who are willing to do just that.

First Gareth Barry, then James Milner, now Ashley Young and Stewart Downing. Tell you what, if they'd have stayed at Villa, we may have built something, but never mind! Tara.

I know. Would have been a midfield for the ages. Such a **** shame.

Don't think we are selling both Young and Downing this year, that would be criminal. However, Young this year and Downing next year is more than likely. It's what we have become; a feeder club selling its best player each year. No way we are able to compete by doing that. Oh well, off to the pure pessimism thread...

I'll be **** pissed if Downing f*cks off somewhere else after we nursed the f*cker back to health for a year before he even played a game.

And I'll be pissed if we don't get at least 20mill for him.

And why the f*ck are we getting f*ck all for Young?

Surely he's worth 20mill?

Calm down dear...

Young is in his last year of his contract, and IMO has been a good player for us and deserves to move on to bigger and better teams to win things.

As for Downing, i think he is just saying this to get a better contract, which he is going to get anyway.

I agree with this.

He must have been tapped up. It doesn't just happen to us either, it's just that now it seems to be happening like clockwork. Of course the board will be blamed but we all know they can't compete financially with the likes of City. I'd rather have owners not willing to spend past their means and put the club's existence into grave danger than owners who are willing to do just that.

I stand by what I said. We don't need to sell, and if we get the right man in now, I can see him signing up again by Christmas.

Stupid comments, though. Ungrateful clearing in the woods. Why are almost all footballers such utter knobheads?

both young and downing have professed their desire to play champions league football next year. presuming they want to play in england, that means man u, chelsea, man city and perhaps arsenal.

with man u having to rethink about creating a world class team of the calibre to challenge barcelona, i just can't see either of them actually being the sort of player that any of those four teams would be actively chasing.

perhaps man u for young, but if i were sir alex, i would think long and hard about whether i think young can be a player that i can build a squad around.... to me, valencia was certainly found out for the player he actually is on saturday night... a good standard premier league player, but certainly not world class.... same for hernandez, in my humble opinion...

i just can't see chelsea coming in for either of them and to me, man city has more attacking midfielders / wingers than they can point a stick at...

i certainly can't see downing at man u, and as much as i love watching him play, don't see him in an arsenal shirt...

which then comes to the question of money - would either man u or arsenal pay either player more than villa is prepared to offer? i don't know the answer to this, but would be interested if anyone knows what their pay structures look like... remembering that neither of these players would be the rooney or fabregas around which a squad is built....

So Downing wants to play in the champions league... If he goes to Liverpool there is a good chance Liverpool won't be in it for a few years. Can't see Arsenal going through and buying him. So if he left us for Liverpool, I'd be extremely dissapointed and angry.

Â