Gone: Downing shows real loyalty to us

andykeenan

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even I can realise Liverpool are a bigger club than us. If that's where Downing wants to go then what's stopping him? It's not exactly gonna be our powerless board is it?

That's a bit harsh, football isn't run by club chairmen any longer, all the power is with players, and ultimately if a player decides he wants to leave then the power is with them.

It doesn't mean we can't get good money for a player that wants to go, and I think our board have proven in the past (Barry and Milner) that they will only sell when the right offer comes in. I would expect no different should Downing decide he wants to go.

Inferring that the board would just standby and wave him off is imo unjust.

the same quotes each year from our top players agents

this sort of thing needs looking into, when the player signs the contract the agent is then not allowed near the club full stop, not allowed to try and renegotiate things not allowed any kind of contact what so ever other wise their licence should be suspended and then removed.

they have a job to do, fine. get your player the best contract they can get.

not all this shite of trying to renegotiate ever year or 2 years to get a further 10%

once the contract has been signed any disputes should then go through the clubs personel department and if things cant be resolved then a tribuneral, like other employment.

it would take these muppets out of the way and let the players do what they do best.

we have always had our captains or better players stating they want top football, that is meant to bouy the other players on and also poke the management into improving the playing staff.

im sure if downing and young look at what has improved since being here, in their own game and also in regards to the quality of the squad they will see they have improved.

if they move on then so be it although bent will probably then be the next come next summer if downing and young go and are not replaced, at least we know so it wont be a shock if it happens.

but these aren't quotes from the agent, they're quotes from the players themselves, aren't they?

one thing i would say, is that whether you loved MON or not, this nonsense of talking to the press all the time, just didn't happen...

the club should stamp it out again... and hard...

He's got 2 years left on his contract so the club still hold the aces.

If he wants out, slap a £30m price tag on him, see if theres any takers, if not he stays another year then we sell for 15m next summer.

What a greedy little cock, still we shouldn'y be surprised

but these aren't quotes from the agent, they're quotes from the players themselves, aren't they?

one thing i would say, is that whether you loved MON or not, this nonsense of talking to the press all the time, just didn't happen...

So Barry didnt have a double page spread in the NOTW?!

He's got 2 years left on his contract so the club still hold the aces.

If he wants out, slap a £30m price tag on him, see if theres any takers, if not he stays another year then we sell for 15m next summer.

What a greedy little cock, still we shouldn'y be surprised

This is my view, if we sell it will be on our terms, like with Milner. We had no reason to sell other than the plater seemingly wanted out. IF Downing is sold this summer, it'll be for over £20m. Every player has their price.

£70m for Bent.

I think we can keep him by being clever. If we keep him for another year he will be 28 before the new season starts. That would be enough to rule out Man Utd and Arsenal if they were interested. Chelsea play narrow football so I don't think he will go there. Also in a years time Liverpool will have had another campaign where they end up with no CL football.

Also in order for a Spurs or City to be interestedhe needs to have another amazing season.

I still think we hold the cards.

So Barry didnt have a double page spread in the NOTW?!

barry was the first to do it for a long time, with liverplop, and he was sent home with his tail between his legs for doing so, if i recall correctly... although perhaps i'm remembering things with rose tinted glasses....

So, he's unsettled now? And for £12m? I remember Liverpool trying to get Barry for that price a few years ago. They unsettled him allright, but they didn't get him. We've seen it in the past. If the price isn't good enough we won't sell. We ain't really some pushovers.

People saying 'let him go' and 'easily replaceable' are deluded.

Im sorry but losing both Young and Downing would/will set us back. Ive said before that im sure GH would invest the £40 wisely, but signings take time to settle.

Losing your 2 best players is never ever a good thing.

Crazy talk.

Imagine its the same people saying young is our best player, not sure they watched the pair of them this season.

Though of course, who am I to question someones opinion. IMO Downing has been head and shoulders above young this season.

Crazy talk.

Imagine its the same people saying young is our best player, not sure they watched the pair of them this season.

Though of course, who am I to question someones opinion. IMO Downing has been head and shoulders above young this season.

What is crazy talk? The fact that im saying i dont want eaither Young or Downing to leave? :?

Downing & Young are easly our best 2 players.

Crazy talk.

What is crazy talk? The fact that im saying i dont want eaither Young or Downing to leave? :?

I was actually agreeing* with you, I was saying the people who were saying downing could be easily replaced were talking crazy talk :).

*Dont agree on the Young bit though ;)

Exactly we would have been relegated without them and were now facing loosing both and we are hardly the best at signing replacements. However I think Downing and his agent are playing with Villa which could be good in terms of getting the managerial position sorted but he is not going to get the fans respect with this behaviour.

Crazy talk.

I was actually agreeing* with you, I was saying the people who were saying downing could be easily replaced were talking crazy talk :).

*Dont agree on the Young bit though ;)

Furry muff :thumb:

Â