The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

The three match suspension is harsh considering what others get away with in a match, still though cant complain. Would want that served if it was an opposition player who did it to him. He will have to learn.

As for comments on the previous pages, I agree. Here's my take with Grealish. So according to Wikipedia, he has played 39 games for us. Ok he was loaned to Notts County where he played 37 times. But, here's the thing with Jack that sticks in my head...

He is 21, hailed as a massive prospect, but at 21 has played just 39 games for us. Ok so some players you don't want to blood too soon. But in modern terms many players with that sort of potential are very established by the age of 21 and have mustered up a lot more than 39 games in their career for their employers. Here he is again, unselectable. Ok so some injuries, but those are quickly forgotten about when you think of various club suspensions or 'internal investigations' by the club for personal life shenanigans. Ive said it before on this thread, about his personal life overlapping and I do think he needs some better advice off the pitch. I mean who is his agent, why aren't they wading in to protect their commodities earning potential.

I genuinely believe that had he knuckled down and taken his career more seriously to this point, he would have been a first XI'er by now, be known for consistent flair and exciting displays. But he doesn't get a regular run in the team, for various intrusions. His family, why don't they take him by the scruff of his neck, to keep a distance from these party-pals and at least ensure he keeps a close check on what gets leaked. This day and age of social media, selfies and people taking pictures, it's only a matter of time before he has another scandal, often showing the spoilt rich-too-soon side of a footballers career when they become known more for what they get up to off the pitch. He could be a club legend in the making and clearly from reading this thread, the jury is out. It shouldn't be that way, particularly as F F sake he is a Villa fan, all of us on here would give an arm and a leg to have his opportunities in life and I hope he doesn't waste them.

There's still time for Jack and I'm saying this on the back of a suspension that was either or... not on the back of a scandal. But, it would be nice to have him consistently available for selection and I am sure he will curb the petulance in the future. Hopefully anyway. I like his sort of player, but as things stand I don't like the man. Three key points:

1- Last year, when we were really in the sh--, where was he? I know there was a collective problem too and with the management and owner. But still, try your hardest and shine... Last year, it would have actually been easyish to stand out in a team of turds at least being someone with passion to try against all the odds. But no, the scandals, the seemingly bad attitude that is now synonymous with him prevails.

2- I genuinely think he owes the club. He has been a passenger too long, the club have stood by him on many occasions and the fans have forgiven. A reason why we have, is that our youth team rarely churns out any class. He had / has promise. But at 21, these days, you need to be delivering that promise week in week out. We talk about him on here sometimes like he is a 17 year old young-un. So yeah, he owes us.

3- I also think that last year and the year before teams were sniffing round him. Let's face it, the bigger teams in the Prem sometimes buy English players to maintain a quota to meet squad registration criteria, and for what 4-6-8 mill-ish in those times, that's not a lot of expenditure to take a punt on securing English talent with potential and to pad out the squad with English nationality. But my point is, assuming they were sniffing, maybe just maybe, they saw what we see (and hear about ) and thought nah maybe not, the kid is trouble or too risky despite the relatively cheap fee. He will still be on their radar I am sure and if placed in a team with more quality than us, would definitely perform better. Even if he was in this just for himself and didn't give a sh-- about Villa, he could have got a decent move elsewhere on the back of knuckling down. You talk to fans of other clubs and his reputation preceeds him, not for footballing reasons. Anyway...

In saying all that, I really hope he comes good. 21 and question marks over ability and attitude? Something is definitely wrong with this lad and there is a long way before he could ever be a role model for kids wanting to be him, a local hero and all that. I just think sometimes he is a lost cause, I see the reports of the England u21s and wonder, why can't you be like that for us? Even if you're surrounded by sh-- you can still do your damndest to stand out like a diamond. That's my tuppence worth. Well, 52p worth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Can't say he'll be missed.

These 3 game out could hurt him. 

I think Bruce will only perm 2 of Grealish,  Gestade,  Ayew,  McCormack and Kodgia and Gresford has shown the least so far. 

His best hope is to oust Adomah as our main wide player. 

Bruce on the ban (paraphrased) - I feel like he's been hard done by there because he's Jack Grealish. He was our best player on Saturday. We need to protect him, nurture him. If it was silly what he did, we need to help him cut it out. He has got a talent, that's why we're talking about him.  

Approx 2:30 into this...

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Bruce on the ban (paraphrased) - I feel like he's been hard done by there because he's Jack Grealish. He was our best player on Saturday. We need to protect him, nurture him. If it was silly what he did, we need to help him cut it out. He has got a talent, that's why we're talking about him.  

Approx 2:30 into this...

Very good man management. I can only assume Jack will train even harder to pay back to the manager on the pitch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spiezels said:

Most fouled player in the league currently. 

Gonna really have to work on his temper as they'll get in his face every game. 

he has always been fouled a lot and maybe I am wrong but he rarely picks up cards for reacting to them. that Hull game was still the worst

im sure Bruce remembers it ;)

It is easy to say Jack was silly to kick out like he did, but to be fair he was completely clattered by the other player, then wrestled to the ground and then had his leg deliberately trapped so he couldn't get up. Not at all surprised he got worked up about it - yes, he should have known that kicking out would get him into trouble, but I am convinced he was just trying to escape the wrestling hold the Wolves player had on him.

Personally I think he has been playing well this year and I suspect he will improve under Bruce.

• Like 2

If Jack is going to flourish, I think Brucey could be the man to get it from him. He can show Jack all that he achieved in his playing career without ever being particularly gifted, but having the heart of a lion and giving your all, Jack does have talent, so if he can take on the mindset of Steve Bruce, or even 75% of it, he's gonna be a decent player, I hope.

17 hours ago, Deisler123 said:

Very good man management. I can only assume Jack will train even harder to pay back to the manager on the pitch.

Yes, Bruce recognises Grealish's talent and how much he can be an asset for us, which is great news, rather than the Garde approach of alienating players. 

For better or worse it's very hard to have a personality as a footballer these days. I remember the days when footballers would have been out on heavy drinking sessions to then play the next day and it was known and accepted by a lot of people. But football was a different game back then and you could afford to have a laugh and mess around and still turn up to a prem game and perform, of course this was only a special few but it happened and could happen. It's a different world now and if you want to be a pro footballer you have to live and breath football almost all of your working life. Fitness is so key now that you can't afford to do anything to put it at risk, managers won't stand for it. I actually think it's a shame that players are so restricted these days, I always enjoy seeing the real side of a footballer.

Saying all that, I think Jack needed a manager who could understand all this and I believe Bruce could be just that. I don't believe Jack needs telling off every Monday morning and being banned he just needs someone to say, look you can have a bit of fun but be careful, then turn up at the weekend and give everything you've got. If this guy turns out to be as good as I believe he can be and peforms week in and week out for villa then he can do as he pleases outside football for all i care :-).

Do us proud Jack.

• Like 1

On 10/18/2016 at 08:22, Demitri_C said:

Quick question though out of those 39 games how many outstanding games has he had for us. People keep saying potential, potential potential. Are we going to be saying he has potential 2-3 years time? He has to start showing it now. 

I havent completely written him off but I think the last season and this year he hasnt cut the mustard hence why a lot of people have lost faith in him. Its not sorely him, but I think he is nothing special at all. Albrighton was so much better when he was introduced. 

I'd say around half a dozen. That might not sound like a lot but a hit rate of 1 in 6 isn't that bad, especially when you've been playing in one of the worst PL teams of all time. Nobody is outstanding in every game. 

11 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I'd say around half a dozen. That might not sound like a lot but a hit rate of 1 in 6 isn't that bad, especially when you've been playing in one of the worst PL teams of all time. Nobody is outstanding in every game. 

I agree but can't argue the facts two games out two wins...

Â