The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Grealish may not be as good as the hype but let's not pick him and then expect him to track back covering full backs 

I can't agree. If he was Ronaldo I wouldn't expect him to track back but he's not - he's not even Carles Gil, in fact he's not even Stephen ireland

Internet reports that Spurs, WHU and Arsenal (!) are interested in him - i'd be staggered if someone was mad enough to buy him. Anything over £5m and I'd snap their hand off (in fact make that anything over £3m).  Another Barry Bannan - He'll end up in the Championship (probably with us lol).  A top ten side can get better quality 'luxury' players and a bottom half team can't afford a place for a work-shy drifter

One mitigating factor is his style of play.  When on song it can look lovely laconically stroking the ball about and drifting around the pitch.  When your team is struggling that style of play looks lazy and couldn't care less.  That said, I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if all the other indicators pointed to a kid trying his best to regain his form but all I see is a self-obsessed, over-indulged billy big bollocks

but for some reason everyone clings onto hope that he's gonna turn into a superstar simply because he's a villa lad.

No.

Indeed no. It has nothing to do with him being a Villa lad and everything to do with what I've seen him do with a football.

Not that I particularly liked him anyway but his head went when Sherwood got sacked. He ain't quite 'gash' as someone put it but he'll do a job for us in the Championship next season (if we go).

Edited by Warnock

On five live yesterday, Joey Barton was talking about him. He was saying that he is one of the most comfortable people on the ball he has ever seen. Everyone knows he needs to work harder, but to say he is crap is an over exaggeration. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

On five live yesterday, Joey Barton was talking about him. He was saying that he is one of the most comfortable people on the ball he has ever seen. Everyone knows he needs to work harder, but to say he is crap is an over exaggeration. 

I would say that failing to work harder when "everyone knows" you need to, IS crap.  It's attitude.  Playing in the championship won't change attitude.   

BTW, I would also say that he needs to stop slowing the attack and find more incisive passes, but when your attitude is bad you can't really learn anything.   He will either grow up and change his attitude, or leave the club that fired his beloved manager and grow up there, or he will always be a wasted potential.  

On the attitidue vs talent debate - I'd take someone with the right attitude and less talent than a hugely talented primadonna every day of the week. 

I'd rather have James Milner than Ashley Young. Harry Kane vs Wayne Rooney etc etc 

• Like 2

I believe he gives a toss - he's got that Berbatov casually deliberate air about him though which doesn't necessarily translate well when a team is struggling. 

As for loaning him out it could break him. It shouldn't be seen as a punishment but I absolutely agree he needs to change his attitude. 

37 minutes ago, Eames said:

I'd rather have James Milner than Ashley Young. Harry Kane vs Wayne Rooney etc etc 

you have probably used 2 horrible examples though. Rooney and Young are very hardworkers and at Villa, Young was just as hardworking as Milner by covering his full back

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

you have probably used 2 horrible examples though. Rooney and Young are very hardworkers and at Villa, Young was just as hardworking as Milner by covering his full back

Possibly but it was clearly sufficient to illustrate the point which you understood perfectly. :)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, VillaCas said:

I can't agree. If he was Ronaldo I wouldn't expect him to track back but he's not - he's not even Carles Gil, in fact he's not even Stephen ireland

Internet reports that Spurs, WHU and Arsenal (!) are interested in him - i'd be staggered if someone was mad enough to buy him. Anything over £5m and I'd snap their hand off (in fact make that anything over £3m).  Another Barry Bannan - He'll end up in the Championship (probably with us lol).  A top ten side can get better quality 'luxury' players and a bottom half team can't afford a place for a work-shy drifter

One mitigating factor is his style of play.  When on song it can look lovely laconically stroking the ball about and drifting around the pitch.  When your team is struggling that style of play looks lazy and couldn't care less.  That said, I'd have a lot more sympathy for him if all the other indicators pointed to a kid trying his best to regain his form but all I see is a self-obsessed, over-indulged billy big bollocks

I'm kind of hoping Tim Sherwood finds a new job soon, because he seemed to think he was worth £60m :crylaugh:

On 06/01/2016 at 10:43, Eames said:

On the attitidue vs talent debate - I'd take someone with the right attitude and less talent than a hugely talented primadonna every day of the week. 

There's not much sacrifice with talent there.

when there's a big difference in talent I'd still go for the talent than someone who just works hard. I'd have Grealish over Weimman for example. 

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

There's not much sacrifice with talent there. 

I'd rather Grealish than weimman, when there's a big difference in talent I'd still go for the talent than someone who just works hard. 

On 06/01/2016 at 11:27, Eames said:

Possibly but it was clearly sufficient to illustrate the point which you understood perfectly. :)

8 minutes ago, Eames said:

I didn't say I didn't understand it. Was just offering a different point of view. 

When both players are very talented then I'd probably go the same as you and pick the harder worker. When the talent gap is bigger then I'd rather go with the talent over work rate. 

Â