The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

13 minutes ago, jim said:

He’s already a club legend for me. Pretty much single handedly dragged us up from the Championship. 

And yet funnily enough, this very forum awarded another player more man of the matches and votes in general for the final run in (the final 12 league matches + play offs). 

So at the time there was at least one other player we felt was just as crucial to us for achieving promotion.

25 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

And yet funnily enough, this very forum awarded another player more man of the matches and votes in general for the final run in (the final 12 league matches + play offs). 

So at the time there was at least one other player we felt was just as crucial to us for achieving promotion.

Who was that?

42 minutes ago, jim said:

He’s already a club legend for me. Pretty much single handedly dragged us up from the Championship. 

Weird that he couldn't accomplish this feat the season before.

48 minutes ago, jim said:

I love Jack and he was massive for us but he didn't single handedly drag us up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tom13 said:

Who was that?

Tyrone.

VT collectively voted him man of the match on four occasions, Jack three times. 

Both played in thirteen of the fifteen matches.

As it happens, in those thirteen matches, more people felt Mings was deserving of man of the match than Grealish on nine separate occasions. What game stands out for Grealish in the run in? The small heath game, right? That’s the one I think of. He must have won the vote for that game. Not according to this site.

In fact, in six of the matches in the run in, Grealish received less than 2% of the vote.

Now, this isn’t trying to diminish what Grealish did for us, I think making the argument him being the most important player at the time is fair and just. I suspect the subsequent Premier League ratings for best player were much more weighted towards Grealish.

And it isn’t a perfect metric, the VT ratings isn’t the be all and end all. But it is fairly objective, everyone has the opportunity to vote and everyone was in love with Jack at the time, so it’s not like he was at a disadvantage.

But it does kinda counter the notion of the promotion being being mostly down to him, when according to VillaTalk he was barely in consideration as the best performer for Villa in half of the games in the promotion run 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think Grealish improved massively in our first season back in the Premier League. He started off a bit slowly... didn't he get dispossessed for a goal on the opening day at Spurs?

However he really grew into that season and was key in our survival.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Xela said:

I think Grealish improved massively in our first season back in the Premier League. He started off a bit slowly... didn't he get dispossessed for a goal on the opening day at Spurs?

He needed about 8 games to get up to speed with the league but after that he was just as good as he was in the Championship. Also I remember that being a foul from Lamela on Jack. But yeah that wouldn't have happened later in the season.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Tammy Abraham 20 odd goals, Tyrone Mings defensive displays, McGinns engine or Jed Steer penalty heroics all done by Jack

Not taking away from the players mentioned but, we were dog shit when he wasn’t in the team.

No coincidence our winning run coincided with his return to the team.

5 minutes ago, jim said:

Not taking away from the players mentioned but, we were dog shit when he wasn’t in the team.

His return was Steer 2nd start and probably Mings 5th game. Not all on Jack and Jack has said he was only allowed play that way because of Smith

Edited by Zatman

29 minutes ago, Xela said:

I seem to recall that was a blatant foul that wasn't given. But he was still being overly risky dilly-dallying somewhere around the edge of our penalty area.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Xela said:

I mean his talent was there from day one. But the responsibility he took on that season was something else.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

I mean his talent was there from day one. But the responsibility he took on that season was something else.

Indeed. I felt a little bit of my love for the club was challenged when we lost Jack, and then Dean shortly after. 

I liked the local connection, the fan as manager and captain. 

Oh well, things always change.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jim said:

While he was missing, our only fit senior CB that season (Tuanzebe) at the time was also injured. They returned at roughly the same time, which also coincided with the signing of Mings, Hause and the recall of Elphick. Our defence was a shambles. We were conceding a lot of late equalizers and winners in that shit 13 game spell (in which I think we only lost 3 games).

48 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Tyrone.

Both played in thirteen of the fifteen matches.

As it happens, in those thirteen matches, more people felt Mings was deserving of man of the match than Grealish on nine separate occasions. What game stands out for Grealish in the run in? The small heath game, right? That’s the one I think of. He must have won the vote for that game. Not according to this site.

In fact, in six of the matches in the run in, Grealish received less than 2% of the vote.

Now, this isn’t trying to diminish what Grealish did for us, I think making the argument him being the most important player at the time is fair and just. I suspect the subsequent Premier League ratings for best player were much more weighted towards Grealish.

And it isn’t a perfect metric, the VT ratings isn’t the be all and end all. But it is fairly objective, everyone has the opportunity to vote and everyone was in love with Jack at the time, so it’s not like he was at a disadvantage.

But it does kinda counter the notion of the promotion being being mostly down to him, when according to VillaTalk he was barely in consideration as the best performer for Villa in half of the games in the promotion run 

This is partly due to how good Grealish was for us. It’s easy to take it for granted that he was going to be our best player and therefore other players were getting man of the match.

In reality he was the key player for us in getting out of that league and staying in this one. No number of man of the matches awarded by VT will change my mind on that.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Jack has said he was only allowed play that way because of Smith

Well yes, because the tactic was give it to Jack.

3 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

This is partly due to how good Grealish was for us. It’s easy to take it for granted that he was going to be our best player and therefore other players were getting man of the match.

In reality he was the key player for us in getting out of that league and staying in this one. No number of man of the matches awarded by VT will change my mind on that.

That’s fine, I don’t disagree his presence was crucial to winning promotion, improving the performances of others.

I just disagree it was all down to him (or as close to as it makes no odds).

We weren’t winning every game at the start of that season when Grealish was playing. We didn’t win every game in sight when Smith initially took over with Grealish playing. It took other elements besides Grealish to achieve it.

He was a very important part of the team, the most important part, if you like.

Just not the only part. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

Tyrone.

To be fair at one point I stopped voting Jack motm because it just became boring - when he wanted, he played a different sport to anyone else on the pitch. 

• Like 3

Â