The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I'd rather have seen Jack stay than get £100m for him.

It probably helps with FFP etc but it's just not the same anymore.

Look it was inevitable. He always wanted to move on and further himself. It would have happened earlier had Spurs put in  a sensible bid or if United had tried to buy him before he signed his new contract with the £100 million release clause.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Its one season. Time to move on from him. The clubs bigger than any player.

Yeah, of course.

I just like football being as 'local' as possible, I suppose.  It was nice having Smith in charge and Grealish playing for us.

5 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, of course.

I just like football being as 'local' as possible, I suppose.  It was nice having Smith in charge and Grealish playing for us.

it was. but it's May now so if both were still here, jack would've been having his annual 3 months out injured and we'd have just watched us draw 0-0 to norwich because we can't do anything without him. not saying i don't miss those days, but there were some frustrating times in amongst the good stuff.

and we're still local...we've just given an 18 year old from great barr his first PL start

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, of course.

Yeah i understand that bob. But we have a rising star in JJ and also have a few others coming through. Grealish didnt believe in the protect and moved on so do we.

17 hours ago, Zatman said:

He really doesnt do any of this anymore, its a pity. For people that said he was overrated here this is against probably the best team in the world including VVD greatest defender in history

It was only Liverpool, to be fair. Even Ross Barkley looked class. 

What I really meant to say was, man I miss watching us play football like that. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It shouldn't change the expectations of the kind of player he is.

If you'd spent £100m on Modric 10 years ago you wouldn't suddenly expect him to start scoring 15 goals a season

True. 

I'm not saying Jack should be scoring 15 to 20 goals. But he's an attacking winger in the best side in the league. His goal and assist stats are disappointing. I'd imagine Pep must be slightly disappointed as well. He doesn't start the important games. If his overall game was still having the dominating effect that we saw at villa surely he'd be involved in those games. 

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Yeah, of course.

I didn't realise just how much I enjoyed that till it was gone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

100m the biggest english player record? We got 100m for him and the guys scored not even 5 league goals this year. I would say that is "the greatest piece of business"

But again, watch how he played for us, he was never a prolific goalscorer, watch how he is being made to play at city he is not required to be a prolific goalscorer 

So why are you trying to link his value to his goals? He didn't cost £100m because of goals 

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Look it was inevitable. He always wanted to move on and further himself. It would have happened earlier had Spurs put in  a sensible bid or if United had tried to buy him before he signed his new contract with the £100 million release clause.

Yeah he was flashing his knickers for years. Supporting Villa was part of his brand identity, that’s all. It worked as a story for him. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

True. 

I'm not saying Jack should be scoring 15 to 20 goals. But he's an attacking winger in the best side in the league. His goal and assist stats are disappointing. I'd imagine Pep must be slightly disappointed as well. He doesn't start the important games. If his overall game was still having the dominating effect that we saw at villa surely he'd be involved in those games. 

I like pep, I think he's the best coach in the world

But he's the last person that should be disappointed, he hasn't got a clue how to use grealish with this magical system that he has, that's the biggest shock of the whole thing, we will see next season when the city fans keep saying the penny drops but so far in no way has pep made him a better player, the shackles he's put on him are ridiculous 

4 hours ago, Mark Albrighton said:

I find it interesting that Grealish (a top player) goes to City (a top side) to play under Pep (a top manager) for a record breaking sum and there’s a sort of  understanding or an acceptance that, hey the first season or so might not be much good.

Whereas someone like, I don’t know, Wesley (or whoever), who’s obviously nowhere near as good, signed for a much smaller fee, to a poorer side, a much less successful manager…and the tolerance for him settling in is not as high. Not to mention things like settling in a new country or language barriers. There’s less “Oh he’ll come good next season”.

It comes across to me that, Grealish, Pep and City all being top tier means they get given extra leeway while the less talented and less expensive personnel don’t. I would have thought being at such a high level means there’s an expectation to hit the ground running quicker. But in Pep’s case it appears the opposite is true(r).

It’s probably more to do with most players taking time to settle at City and Pep having a proven record of getting them to come good, and a proven record of success. 

If every player that went to city hit the ground running and was amazing straight away then it would be a concern.

But plenty of players go there, struggle for a bit and then come good  

People tend to have more leeway for managers that prove they know what they’re doing

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

Also Purslow and Villa is to blame as well for allowing it to happen, the clause was put in by the club

If the clause isn’t there then Grealish doesn’t sign the contract. The club wouldn’t just put it in for shits and giggles

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

100m the biggest english player record? We got 100m for him and the guys scored not even 5 league goals this year. I would say that is "the greatest piece of business"

Ok

35 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

True. 

Oh I don’t disagree with that. I think Pep will be disappointed and want better. I imagine Jack feels the same. 

What I’m disagreeing with is people thinking he’s some sort of massive flop because he hasn’t got a load of goals and assists. 

He’ll want to improve his out put. And I’d wager he will

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Oh I don’t disagree with that. I think Pep will be disappointed and want better. I imagine Jack feels the same. 

What I’m disagreeing with is people thinking he’s some sort of massive flop because he hasn’t got a load of goals and assists. 

He has been a flop though even if you dont count the goals and assists. He has been one of the weakest players in the City team and has been benched for the big games

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Are you seriously telling us he hasnt been a flop so far?

People have crucifying bailey on here and we paid a third for him for the grealish cost. He has zero premier league experience prior to coming here and been injured. Id say for 100m he has been a absolute disaster for them thus far. Thata not saying he will be for next few years. But so far he has been a major flop.

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He has been a flop though even if you dont count the goals and assists. He has been one of the weakest players in the City team and has been benched for the big games

Surely a flop is someone that doesn’t come good? I agree if he doesn’t improve then he is an absolutely enormous flop

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Are you seriously telling us he hasnt been a flop so far?

People have crucifying bailey on here and we paid a third for him for the grealish cost. He has zero premier league experience prior to coming here and been injured. Id say for 100m he has been a absolute disaster for them thus far. Thata not saying he will be for next few years. But so far he has been a major flop.

No I’m not saying that. 

I don’t know why Bailey is being brought into the conversation. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Surely a flop is someone that doesn’t come good? I agree if he doesn’t improve then he is an absolutely enormous flop

Honest I'm not sure I would

Based on how I've seen them play I wouldn't say he's a flop I'd say he's a bizarre signing that they didn't need and don't know how to use

I'd be more critical of city than I would be of him, signs were there too, first press conference pep had after signing him he said he can play up front, no he can't! There's funny stuff like the semi final where VVD bullied him out the way on a corner, when you stop laughing at it the reality kicks in, why would city have grealish mark VVD? They use him in strange ways 

OK ... I think people are confounding two things here:

Jack Grealish the player has been a flop?  Debatable.

The structure Jack Grealish is in, is a flop? Definitely.

• Like 3

Â