The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Guest av1

The Mirror (I know) reporting that Pep is going to sign a new contract. If true, that isn’t great news for Jack. 

His stats are fine. He needs to improve his output, but as V4E says, that was never his game anyway  villa fans spent years defending his lack of goals and assists because he does so much more, and now this same fans are using those against him.

It needs to improve, but the underlying numbers aren’t far off at all

EB0430D4-DBED-47C7-93FB-6444D0A19133.jpeg

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would love it if their lack of signing a striker, and focusing on JG loses them all their competitions this year. Poetic. One can hope. 

Maybe but I do think signing Haaland this summer rather than kane last summer will be better for them long term 

57 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Would love it if their lack of signing a striker, and focusing on JG loses them all their competitions this year. Poetic. One can hope. 

I don’t, because that would mean Liverpool doing a triple or quadruple 🤮 

• Like 1

He really doesnt do any of this anymore, its a pity. For people that said he was overrated here this is against probably the best team in the world including VVD greatest defender in history

• Like 2

On 01/05/2022 at 10:14, Stevo985 said:

His stats are fine. He needs to improve his output, but as V4E says, that was never his game anyway  villa fans spent years defending his lack of goals and assists because he does so much more, and now this same fans are using those against him.

It needs to improve, but the underlying numbers aren’t far off at all

EB0430D4-DBED-47C7-93FB-6444D0A19133.jpeg

But surely that changes when you're the most expensive player in the history of the league.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

But surely that changes when you're the most expensive player in the history of the league.

Why would his price tag change the kind of player he is?

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Why? 

He wasn't bought to score goals, that's not his game, for some reason pep has stated more than once that he can play upfront and he does but he can't and its weird 

His game was never about goals or finishing, in fact it's the weakest part of his game

The strongest is chance creation and carrying the ball up the pitch, that's how we judged him at villa, that's how he should be judged now 

Those graphs for carries in to the opponents penalty area where he was way off to the right hand side alone by himself, for the whole of Europe, they now go in the bin because it doesn't suit your argument that he's a great player? Nah I can't have that, use the same measuring sticks and if you do I think he's actually doing OK 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Why? 

He wasn't bought to score goals, that's not his game, for some reason pep has stated more than once that he can play upfront and he does but he can't and its weird 

His game was never about goals or finishing, in fact it's the weakest part of his game

The strongest is chance creation and carrying the ball up the pitch, that's how we judged him at villa, that's how he should be judged now 

Those graphs for carries in to the opponents penalty area where he was way off to the right hand side alone by himself, for the whole of Europe, they now go in the bin because it doesn't suit your argument that he's a great player? Nah I can't have that, use the same measuring sticks and if you do I think he's actually doing OK 

I don't think all stats get ignored. But when you're the most expensive signing in league history and an attacking player, goals and assists are expected. 

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I don't think all stats get ignored. But when you're the most expensive signing in league history and an attacking player, goals and assists are expected. 

Was the same when utd signed pogba, £80m and here's his goal stats compared to lampards

Its not his game, its not grealish either, City must have known that when they bought him, he's not a natural goalscorer never will be, the price tag and then what he should do because of it is nonsense 

There's always been a logic that he creates a lot of chances and if you put him in a better team with a better striker that his assist stats would increase, it looks like he's still creating chances but his assist stats are poor and that's something different, maybe him and Haaland will click

And all of that is before you look at how pep uses him, its hard to score and assist when your job is play 50 5 yard passes to your left back every game 

17 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It changes the expectations. 

It shouldn't change the expectations of the kind of player he is.

If you'd spent £100m on Modric 10 years ago you wouldn't suddenly expect him to start scoring 15 goals a season

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It shouldn't change the expectations of the kind of player he is.

If you'd spent £100m on Modric 10 years ago you wouldn't suddenly expect him to start scoring 15 goals a season

No but you would want Modric to still perform, same with Pogba comparison he has been a huge flop on the pitch and somehow helped make United midfield worse

City have paid 100 million so yes expectations are higher but I can’t remember him having one great performance since he joined City. He has been a sub for City major games as well as his manager doesn't seem to trust him

Edited by Zatman

Â