The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

I am a bit worried about our reliance on Jack though. He’s a great player and at the heart of everything that makes us tick - but I’m genuinely concerned about the effect an injury to him would have. Not just that we would be losing a key component of our first 11 but there might also be a bit of a psychological blow to the squad as well. If he can stay fit, I really believe we can cement a place in this league again, but if teams spend the season kicking him up in the air (like last year) and he gets unlucky and spends a bit of time on the sidelines, I’m not anywhere near as confident. 

11 minutes ago, Sgl said:

I am a bit worried about our reliance on Jack though. He’s a great player and at the heart of everything that makes us tick - but I’m genuinely concerned about the effect an injury to him would have. Not just that we would be losing a key component of our first 11 but there might also be a bit of a psychological blow to the squad as well. If he can stay fit, I really believe we can cement a place in this league again, but if teams spend the season kicking him up in the air (like last year) and he gets unlucky and spends a bit of time on the sidelines, I’m not anywhere near as confident. 

We're much better placed to deal with him being out than the last couple of years. Of course you can never replace what he brings to the side but we will have some decent options in midfield once Nakamba is signed - probably with Luiz playing further forward. 

• Like 2

As most have said we have options. He is a good player but I believe that the signings made are in response to the period without Jack last season so we don’t suffer if he isn’t fit or in need of a rest or two. 

Thankfully the refereeing is better in the prem.

• Like 2

He's a brilliant footballer, can't wait to see him this season in the PL. I really think him and McGinn will tear it up, but it is a big step up from the Championship. 

Really think that England side needs a change from Alli (massively overrated) and Barkley (big disappointment and never fulfilled his potential). For me, Grealish and Foden are the exceptional talents in that position and need to be given a chance this season for England. Foden's benefited from playing for a top side which Jack didn't have when he came through as Villa were a complete mess at the time, but I've no doubt he's got just as much natural ability as Foden. Maddison also needs a call up. With those three competing with each other for the creative role, it can only benefit England massively. 

I don’t think Alli is overrated, he would probably benefit from having Grealish and or Foden playing with him. Alli likes to make runs in behind whereas the latter two like to receive the ball on the half turn and create havoc from there.  Alli is young so his form will dip and rise.

If Grealish takes to the premier League like we are all hoping then England will benefit too that can only be a good thing surely.

17 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I don’t think Alli is overrated, he would probably benefit from having Grealish and or Foden playing with him. Alli likes to make runs in behind whereas the latter two like to receive the ball on the half turn and create havoc from there.  Alli is young so his form will dip and rise.

If Grealish takes to the premier League like we are all hoping then England will benefit too that can only be a good thing surely.

He has had two seasons now where his performances have not been great, playing in a side like Spurs where he has a lot of good players around him. He's clearly not a bad player but in that role Grealish and Foden are far more creative and both can carry the ball unlike Alli as you say. Alli should be in the squad but definitely not starting for me, unless he plays the box to box role he played earlier in his career.

1 hour ago, Sgl said:

i dunno, i think this season we wont be entirely reliant on Jack, Jota has the ability, and when players like Hassan get settled, as well as Douglas Luiz, although Grelish will be important for us, i dont think he will be the be all and end all.

would he be missed if injured?, no doubt......but i dont think it will be the same position as last year where we look terrible without him (as long as our other core players are fit).

in a way i think this season will be better for Jack as he wont need to take it all on his own shoulders, and he will have players around him who can work on his wavelength, like Jota, Luiz, Hassan, McGinn etc etc, and if teams do try to concentrate on shutting out Jack, we actually will have players that can really benefit from that extra space created.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

The point remains. 

I still disagree. I don't care that Delph was good for us in the Premier League, Grealish could never play there and I'd know he's a better footballer. 

Delph is probably more McGinn than Grealish in terms of role. He isn't as good as either and never was, IMO. 

• Like 1

On 25/07/2019 at 13:40, Stevo985 said:

I'm expecting Delph to surprise a few people at Everton if he actually gets to play in midfield again

People have probably forgotten just how good he was there for us. That's how he earned his original England call ups.

Never got the Delph love. Not because of the wayear he left but his record. He was an attacking midfielder who rarely scored.  I know there's more to being an atacking midfielder than goals , but he was an average player in increasingly poor teams. For me Same in a long list at villa from sasha curcic onwards. 

On 25/07/2019 at 13:40, Stevo985 said:

I'm expecting Delph to surprise a few people at Everton if he actually gets to play in midfield again

People have probably forgotten just how good he was there for us. That's how he earned his original England call ups.

Never got the Delph love. Not because of the wayear he left but his record. He was an attacking midfielder who rarely scored.  I know there's more to being an atacking midfielder than goals , but he was an average player in increasingly poor teams. For me Same in a long list at villa from sasha curcic onwards. 

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

i dunno, i think this season we wont be entirely reliant on Jack, Jota has the ability, and when players like Hassan get settled, as well as Douglas Luiz, although Grelish will be important for us, i dont think he will be the be all and end all.

would he be missed if injured?, no doubt......but i dont think it will be the same position as last year where we look terrible without him (as long as our other core players are fit).

in a way i think this season will be better for Jack as he wont need to take it all on his own shoulders, and he will have players around him who can work on his wavelength, like Jota, Luiz, Hassan, McGinn etc etc, and if teams do try to concentrate on shutting out Jack, we actually will have players that can really benefit from that extra space created.

Yep, Jacks gonna love playing in this side and really enjoy his football. Will be less pressure & reliance on him and he will have greater freedom to express himself.

7 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Yeah he’s nothing compared to Grealish.

Delph had a good 6 months and that was it really. He was loaned out to League One (I think) Leeds while he was here! Was unlucky under MON though, should have played much more often.

Still surprises me how our own fans underrate Grealish. Delph isn't fit to lace his boots, he's a top 4 level player right now, God knows how good he'll be when he peaks.

I do have a horrible feeling someone is going to smash him and badly injure him this season. Some wild swinger like Delph is as likely as anyone.

The over-reliance won't be as bad this year purely because of the turn around in players. Even McGinn struggled when Jack was out the team, he had no one to pass to!  We've now got more than a few really good consistent players going forward. We'll be weaker if he's out, but we were beaten half the time walking out without him last season.

54 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I still disagree. I don't care that Delph was good for us in the Premier League, Grealish could never play there and I'd know he's a better footballer. 

Delph is probably more McGinn than Grealish in terms of role. He isn't as good as either and never was, IMO. 

But that wasn't the point.

We are all very confident that Grealish will do the same, and that he is a far superior player to Delph. But he's yet to do it in the Premier League.

The point was never about ability, Grealish is currently better and potentially miles better. But at the moment he's not a proven Premier League player.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

But that wasn't the point.

We are all very confident that Grealish will do the same, and that he is a far superior player to Delph. But he's yet to do it in the Premier League.

The point was never about ability, Grealish is currently better and potentially miles better. But at the moment he's not a proven Premier League player.

Ok. It's kinda arbitrary though, as in what's the conclusion?

59 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

He was far better than you’re giving him credit for. 

51 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah he’s nothing compared to Grealish.

Yeah I don’t think anyone is saying he’s better than Grealish. His name just came up and I said I thought he’d surprise some people this season. 

Â