The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

May be an image of 1 person and text that says "astonforza 5m SMITH: "SAID BENRAHMA'S A TALENTED BOY, THAT'S FOR SURE. HE'S CERTAINLY ONE WE HAVE TO BE WARY OF. HE'S ONE WE LOOKED AT (IN SUMMER] BUT SEE JACK GREALISH ON THE LEFT AND THERE'S NOT MANY PEOPLE WHO WOULD GET AHEAD OF HIM, IF ANY.""

Guess this ends both the  ' Where they see his best position' and the Benerahma transfer questions in one go?

Looks that way.  I do think Smith and Co see him as better there...

But I'm sure Jack wasn't 100% sold on it in his interview post new contract.  His interviews have more recently said he's not sure or happy to play anywhere as long as he's further forward, whereas previously he used to say he wanted to be in the middle. Maybe he will be sold now and if interviewed tomorrow maybe he'd have changed his view even further.

I would still like to see him in the middle of two world class wingers, but guess we have to accept we're not likely to get that at Villa in the foreseeable, and until then,  Jack is definitely more effective on the wing with the squad we have. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

But I'm sure Jack wasn't 100% sold on it in his interview post new contract.  His interviews have more recently said he's not sure or happy to play anywhere as long as he's further forward, whereas previously he used to say he wanted to be in the middle. Maybe he will be sold now and if interviewed tomorrow maybe he'd have changed his view even further.

I would still like to see him in the middle of two world class wingers, but guess we have to accept we're not likely to get that at Villa in the foreseeable, and until then,  Jack is definitely more effective on the wing with the squad we have. 

We could also look at it from the angle of,  " The only way Jack gets moved from this position is when we have another top/world class player to put there" I.E Benerahma is talented, but he isn't that. lol

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Why not Jack on the left with a world class number 10 inside him? 

🤠

I'm not going to say no to that, obviously,  but I'll always believe he could be an as effective number 10, in a world where world class wingers are more common than world class number 10s.

On that express and star interview two things popped out to me... he did say "my position" when talking about competition for England, so maybe he does now see left wing as his position.  Or maybe it's one of those things you just say without over thinking it. 

The other was this “I knew we wouldn’t be down there battling relegation. But I would have thought we might be 11th, 12th or 13th, somewhere like that. To be where we are with games in hand is obviously massive.“

That 5 year contract was signed with him expecting mid table. We exceed those expectations and he's going nowhere. 

27 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

But also seriously, I think the desire to see him play through the middle is driven more by Roy of The Rovers type fantasy than anything else. 

I think it's because he would get on the ball more in the middle than he does on the left. Also he can attack down either flank from the middle of the field rather than being restricted to one side. 

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Accept?  I'm delighted he's out there, he's brilliant out there and while he's good in the middle, the LW wing is his position for so many reasons that have been talked about before. It's not like Dean and co are going against the grain, I think most of think he's better out on the left than central.  I accept it's probably 60/40 or something but I see more people happy he's left wing than centrally and it was called for when he played centrally last season that he should be moved more forward.  It just seems some have an obsession that he should be playing centrally for some reason.  If you most effective position is out wide and you are the clubs best player then you play there, you dont move him to a position he's slightly less effective.  You buy a world class CAM and right winger rather than two world class wingers.

4 hours ago, blandy said:

That's a massive thing isn't it? - the effect it has. Whether persuading Ross and Tammy to come to Villa, or just rubbing off on other players generally. He's an absolute once in a lifetime player.

giphy.gif?cid=5e214886x69lgz4q9jhyns4xhz

Very good for team bonding I am told. 

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

I think it's because he would get on the ball more in the middle than he does on the left. Also he can attack down either flank from the middle of the field rather than being restricted to one side. 

Grealish will get on the ball regardless of where he is because everyone will look to get it to him. It's why most of our attacks come down the left side at the moment.

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

That’s the problem with the thought of the middle.  Not about getting on the ball but it showed when he moved out to the left-forward, Jack was getting on the ball in more dangerous places where he can cause damage.

I’d rather Jack get slightly less of the ball overall if he gets it more often in dangerous areas and that seemed to be the case when he moved from CAM to Left-Forward.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

He is so much more effective on the left - brilliant at laying the ball off or finding a cheeky cross, has lots more space, connects brilliantly with Targett and Watkins in the channel and gets to cut inside onto his right. Keep him there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Dude is not normal. Special even.

Trez, top of the number of high intensity runs too... no surprise there. Maybe a bit of a surprise that he seems to do 1 a minute!

On Jack, just another string to his 5 million string bow.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Trez, top of the number of high intensity runs too... no surprise there. Maybe a bit of a surprise that he seems to do 1 a minute!

On Jack, just another string to his 5 million string bow.

Anwar up there too.

What surprised me is Ashley Westwood doing decently there, and Lucas Moura having a low top speed (kind of makes sense, he never has the room to run at full tilt in this Jose side).

Â