The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

sir_gary_cahill

Di Matteo spoke today of playing him more inside, perhaps in a 3 man midfield. If so, he needs to toughen  up a bit.  Little Will Hughes  put him on his arse a few weeks ago and he started mouthing off. Mans game Jack. Get used to it.

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Di Matteo spoke today of playing him more inside, perhaps in a 3 man midfield. If so, he needs to toughen  up a bit.  Little Will Hughes  put him on his arse a few weeks ago and he started mouthing off. Mans game Jack. Get used to it.

Too be fair, Hughes made a hell of fouls not just on Jack. It was more a moan that Hughes wasn't getting booked

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

100 % not this.

We need more of that - see Ronaldo as the best example.  Any player with the control Jack has needs to go down every time they are touched and create hell about it.   Its the type of thing we do really really badly and I'm glad to see him making more of a noise about it.

• Like 1

I'd be quite intrigued to see how he'd perform in a midfield 3, I like the look of this

Tshibola - Jedinak - Grealish

Glad he's back for tomorrow though, we missed him against Brentford.

Edited by Farlz

1 hour ago, DK82 said:

Not a winger. but I am not sure how we can play him, McCormack, Ayew, Gestede and Kodija in the same side. Especially if we want to play with wingers (and Jack isn't a winger).

Simple, you can't. Well, not if you want to have any balance in the first eleven.

Kodjia and McCormack are first choice upfront (whoever is the out and out front man is up for debate) and then one of Grealish or Ayew plays behind them in the creative/ attacking role. Then a solid three man central midfield of Tishbola, Jedinak & Westwood with the width provided by Bacuna/Amavi when attacking. Midfield providing the required cover when Bacuna or Amavi are attacking. A starting 4-3-1-2 basically. 

Unfortunately for Jack he's not showing enough to warrant a starting place in that line-up. Ayew has offered more, although both are guilty of having no end product, trying to take on five players at once, getting easily pushed off the ball and throwing a sulky tantrum on the floor aimed at anyone who pays them attention.

It's arguably the most important role in the team at the moment, linking up the marginally improved defence with the much more potent attack. Unfortunately, largely due to tactics and the performances of Grealish and Ayew we've not managed to get that part working.

• Like 1

I'd consider dropping both Grealish and Ayew. Would like to see a front two of Kodija and RMc. And 4 in midfield... MJ, AA, Tish and  someone else but not  sure who, guess it would be GG or AW. In that senario and with less pressure being part of 4 rather than 2 I'd try GG, plus he seems slightly better than AW in final third. Or maybe one of the u23s, might as well

Edited by honest_bertie

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Who has fluffed more chances? Who has failed to realise the ball to a team mate for a tap in because they'd rather try and beat another defender more times?

cant play both IMO and Jack is more team focuses IMO 

Yep, feel the same way. I'd rather have a player who always made the right decision on when to dribble and when to shoot obviously, but if we have to choose I'd rather have Jack passing to a teammate when he could have had a shot rather than Ayew missing an obvious pass and dribbling into three defenders. 

• Like 1

I think the 4-3-1-2 formation is the best one for our players at the moment. 

I would argue it's best to play Grealish in the 3 man midfield, 

Tshibola - Jedinak - Grealish

Ayew

Gestede - Kodjia

This would be my preferred line up as things stand, although I imagine Westwood would play due to the constant injuries to Tshibola.

Gestede would probably be replaced by McCormack too. I'd rather have Gestede on current showing. 

Could also play:

Tshibola - Jedinak

Kodjia - Grealish - Ayew

Gestede

I think that team is balanced and strong. Could swap Kodjia to up front and have Adomah on the right wing instead. 

So effectively what I'm saying is that the problem is McCormack, although that's not what I thought when I started writing the post. 

Â