The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Yes, and I'm putting my hopes on him being the one that can elevate his level even further. I don't believe the others can, Snodgrass and Adomah are at their ceiling, and the others just don't have the ability. I'm hoping Jack will put some more stats on the table too.

From my seat at the back of the upper tier yesterday, looking down on the game, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. His touch, control, movement, passing and energy were a level above anyone else’s. Because he missed a large part of the season, he’s obviously got more in the tank now. Truthfully, I fear that someone as good as he is should be playing at a higher level and will be soon.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blandy said:

From my seat at the back of the upper tier yesterday, looking down on the game, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. 

I though he was he was a long way off his best yesterday. He didn't get a look in for the first 10/15mins due to Boltons dominance in the middle off the park. He then started to come far to deep to try and get on the ball, and like the QPR game, his passing was wasn't up to his normal high standards. 

The weather and the crap alongside him are mitigating factors so this isn't a pop at Jack as such, i just feel that yesterday wasnt great. 

11 minutes ago, blandy said:

Truthfully, I fear that someone as good as he is should be playing at a higher level and will be soon.

The thing with the PL now is that there are a lot of "unfashionable clubs" now in tbe league, and I'm not sure that the lure of the PL alone will drag him away from us. 

Look if a top 8 club came in for him he would be gone no doubt about it (and in that respect i don't think it matters what league we are competing in next season). But I'm not sure if any of those clubs would be in for him. 

You then look at the rest:

Swansea

Huddersfield 

West Ham

Brighton 

Watford

Palace 

Burnley 

I really can't see:

i) Those clubs paying the sort of money we would want.

ii) Jack leaving his hometown club for any of those sort of clubs. 

Jack knows he could be a legend here, and think he is the sort of kid that thrives on that idea. I simply can't see him leaving us unless its for one of the big boys. 

20 minutes ago, blandy said:

From my seat at the back of the upper tier yesterday, looking down on the game, he was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch. His touch, control, movement, passing and energy were a level above anyone else’s. Because he missed a large part of the season, he’s obviously got more in the tank now. Truthfully, I fear that someone as good as he is should be playing at a higher level and will be soon.

From my seat on the sofa I thought the same ..the descion to empty the midfield and have him dropping so deep as to receive sideways pass's in his own half from Terry was as poor management as you are likely to see.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nabby said:

From my seat on the sofa I thought the same ..the descion to empty the midfield and have him dropping so deep as to receive sideways pass's in his own half from Terry was as poor management as you are likely to see.

I dunno, Nabby, there were a few other examples yesterday alone.

1 minute ago, blandy said:

I dunno, Nabby, there were a few other examples yesterday alone.

Starting a midfield with little physical strength against a physical side like Bolton ?

Inability to switch the wingers when its clear they are not having any success ? Taking one of the ineffective wingers off adding a body in midfield to try and get into the game with possession rather than just deciding to lump it to forwards ?

The list is quite long ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We need a bit more from him to be honest, very good for us, but we do need more output from him. I think those wanting him in the England squad are being very silly.

you keep mentioning this despite no one saying anything since the last time you did.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone with any sense of perspective would think Grealish should be in the England squad.

But then, it was only a couple of days ago I saw someone  seriously suggesting that we tried to sign Gary Cahill. You know, the Chelsea and England captain, Gary Cahill. :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The world doesn't revolve around VT pal, there's a lot of fans out there who have been calling for it over the past few days.

Ok, well I’ll play devil’s advocate.

It’s a big squad, these are friendly games, and he is a 22 year old prospect with a game like no other in the set-up. While it is completely understandable that he isn’t in the squad, it is also a reach to describe wanting him in it insane or silly or crazy - it’s just Villa fans wishing to see the best Villa player getting an opportunity to join the squad.

I personally find it a bit silly that every time we lose these sort of things are said in reaction, as if Grealish’s performances were somehow the reason for those losses. He’s had two average games and been shuffled around the pitch as we desperately chased a point and still come out with more credit that any other player.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The world doesn't revolve around VT pal, there's a lot of fans out there who have been calling for it over the past few days.

Jake Livermore is part of the squad. All he's done recently is steal a taxi. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Different position I know but the quality within the current squad is not exactly overflowing.

34 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Jake Livermore is part of the squad. All he's done recently is steal a taxi. It's not beyond the realms of possibility. Different position I know but the quality within the current squad is not exactly overflowing.

No it's not, but Lallana, Alli, Wilshere and Lingard can all operate in that position.

1 minute ago, sne said:

Priceless to us, but I doubt we'd be getting more than about £15m if we had to sell.

Was thinking around that sort of fee ,  peanuts to a premier club - I hope we can keep hold of him another year .

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Priceless to us, but I doubt we'd be getting more than about £15m if we had to sell.

I said something similar during his purple patch when some fans were saying they would turn down 70 million for him. 

Things change fast. 

He has looked a bit jaded last two games but he is also getting targeted a lot. Ref was appalling yesterday with some of the challenges he let go unpunished. 

8 hours ago, AVTuco said:

He's scored one goal and assisted four. We need more from him without it being "the entire club on the shoulders..."

If this is the main statistic you're looking at, it's inadequate to judge his performances (or even his involvement in goals). I don't know where you are, and I don't know how many of the games you can see, but he has an involvement in our play far, far beyond what can be revealed by counting goals and assists. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If this is the main statistic you're looking at, it's inadequate to judge his performances (or even his involvement in goals). I don't know where you are, and I don't know how many of the games you can see, but he has an involvement in our play far, far beyond what can be revealed by counting goals and assists. 

I know very well what he does to the team. However, I hope he would do more of those "statistic things". It's not out of this world to hope for a couple goals from a guy like him, is it?

• Like 1

Â