The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

Thread is going around circles from people thinking he is doing well and others think he is doing shit 

Truth is he has been average. Nothing more nothing less. Some good games some poor games. Can he improve? Yes he can but he is currently not playing as a 100 million player which is always going to be mentioned 

• Like 4

I think he's definitely a better player than the one City have got at the moment - he looks like he's playing within himself, like he's thinking too much about trying to do the right things and be in the right places - as he gets more comfortable I think we'll see him do the things he did for us - I don't think they know how good he is yet.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

he looks like he's playing within himself, like he's thinking too much about trying to do the right things and be in the right places

I agree. I wonder how much of that is him and how much is his manager demanding it. Guardiola seems very intent on drilling in to players exactly what to do, where to go, how to play, with perhaps KDB being allowed some leeway for meandering. SO while Jack may get more positional discipline into his game, something else is lost.

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’m sorry but whilst Grealish isn’t prolific in front of goal he is capable of scoring the odd screamer. 

TELEMMGLPICT000002224181_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwa9eJxMQP7zn0NlTKTh6Otc.jpeg

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think he's definitely a better player than the one City have got at the moment - he looks like he's playing within himself, like he's thinking too much about trying to do the right things and be in the right places - as he gets more comfortable I think we'll see him do the things he did for us - I don't think they know how good he is yet.

And here’s to hoping they never find out!

🍻

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 04/10/2021 at 12:02, PieFacE said:

I do agree with this. The general feeling I've got from talking to other fans about Jack is that they don't like him as much now that he signed for City. He was living every football fans' dream before signing for City and it was quite endearing for all fans. I'm sure that will all change if he plays well for England tho. 

This…

Even Kyle Walker tweeted about it in a complaining, foot stamping type of way…

Something along the lines of “Oh… it’s ok now to boo Grealish for no reason”

You play for Man City… That gives everyone every reason to boo you…

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, DJ_Villain said:

This…

Even Kyle Walker tweeted about it in a complaining, foot stamping type of way…

Something along the lines of “Oh… it’s ok now to boo Grealish for no reason”

You play for Man City… That gives everyone every reason to boo you…

Exactly, the already best club in the league if not all of Europe (and by extension the world too probably, despite one loss in a final) splurging £100m on a player they didn’t really need (whilst also trying to throw another £150m at one they did), leaving his boyhood club that didn’t want to sell on the last possible date to become yet another mercenary is precisely the reason why he and any other Man City should fully expect to be booed wherever they go.

• Like 3

I see the same problem as with England in the Euros, with us he just got the ball all the time and didn't really have to learn what to do off the ball when the other players in the team are in possession as they would always look for him.  Obviously City keep the ball a lot more and have other brilliant players that demand the ball but have been coached for longer in the system so know what they're doing.  It's not really a system that lets great dribblers like Jack thrive.

8 hours ago, Mic09 said:

They both play for the same national team in the same most expensive team in the world in similar roles. They will both win the same trophies for the next X years. 

I'd say their ceilings are fairly similar if not the same.

How old is Foden Vs Grealish?

And I mean in terms of being a better player, I think when both retire, Foden will be considered better imo

Edited by AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, fightoffyour said:

Exactly, the already best club in the league if not all of Europe (and by extension the world too probably, despite one loss in a final) splurging £100m on a player they didn’t really need (whilst also trying to throw another £150m at one they did), leaving his boyhood club that didn’t want to sell on the last possible date to become yet another mercenary is precisely the reason why he and any other Man City should fully expect to be booed wherever they go.

Exactly…

and the whole:

”what? What did we do wrong? We didn’t do nuffin… what’s your problem wiv us?” act that their players and fans put on when they know full well what they are doing is suspect and that they expect people to celebrate their achievements when, in the grand scheme of things, all they have done is enter a cheat code to win.

Every time we get a LITTLE BIT to like about our club… to say is “ours”… and to actually be foolish enough to believe wants to be here more than anyone else…

The cheat code gets entered and we get fleeced…

and those words removed in Manchester continue to think that the world should be happy for them… and then are shocked to find out that it makes people hate them more…

**** em all and **** any player who sells their soul to play for them…

• Like 4

4 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

It's OK Jack, those Vietnamese City fans a million miles away love you

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

It's OK Jack, those Vietnamese City fans a million miles away love you

The circumference of the earth in only 24,901 miles and Vietnam is only 6,230 miles away from the UK.

Stop lying! 

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I’m sorry but whilst Grealish isn’t prolific in front of goal he is capable of scoring the odd screamer. 

Off the top of my head, the goal from the corner against Derby, the one at Old Trafford last season and the goal against West Ham that ‘kept us up’ 

all quality goals! 

Let's not re-write history here. As great as the goal was for the club, he hit it dead center and Flappianski did just that

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I can't consider them the best unless they win a champions League first

2 hours ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

I can't consider them the best unless they win a champions League first

Best in England? 

They don't need a CL for that, they've won the league 3 years in 4, set the record for points and goals, even the year they lost it to Liverpool they had the ridiculous points tally, won the league Cup 4 years in a row (but only 1 FA Cup) 

Lost the CL final 

Comfortably the best team in the PL

And they tried to go on a £250m splurge on 2 players.... Whilst under investigation for FFP... And those 2 players were the best 2 players and captains of their boyhood clubs

Grealish moving woke some people up, there's not many West Ham or Leeds fans taking the piss out of us for example, if man City want rice or phillips in January they will take them 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This is really really interesting stuff from StatsBomb. 

They’ve started assigning On Ball Value to passes and actions which is a metric that enables you to measure the effectiveness of passes and actions that don’t directly lead to a goal. I.e. it’s a way of measuring “assisting the assist”

It adds context around why Grealish was worth so much while he played for us as he’s by far the best player in the league when it comes to this.

It will also provide us a nice baseline to measure how he’s performing this season after his move compared to last season without using goals and assists 

BF9838BA-BF98-498F-BE37-95FE3E9AB38B.webp

5168DCFE-13DF-469C-8DE6-F07518A0F960.webp

this chart from them is interesting too - 

OBV-per-pass-3.png?resize=840%2C555

look at Jesus, Silva, Gundogan, all really high % for completed passes in the final 3rd but this suggests that they dont really go anywhere, then you have de bruyne with a lower % but doing more, he's the one trying things, where grealish ends up on this chart next season will be telling, he should in theory still be the one trying things, im guessing sterling will be one of the dots not named

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

this chart from them is interesting too - 

OBV-per-pass-3.png?resize=840%2C555

look at Jesus, Silva, Gundogan, all really high % for completed passes in the final 3rd but this suggests that they dont really go anywhere, then you have de bruyne with a lower % but doing more, he's the one trying things, where grealish ends up on this chart next season will be telling, he should in theory still be the one trying things, im guessing sterling will be one of the dots not named

Yeah agreed.

It'll be an excellent metric to judge if he really has regressed by moving to City

14 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Just like the Vietnamese Villa fans did. Are Asians not allowed to follow the PL or something? 

They are but the point i'm making is he left his 'own clubs' fans of which he apparently was one at the first concrete opportunity to play for a 'successful' club, of which many of their fans have as much connection to the club as I have to Timbuktu FC

Â