The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

It was a very similar run to his first villa goal. Think it was against Rotherham. It’s a great shame it didn’t go in, it would have been the goal of the season potentially. It’s only a matter of time before he scores one of those though, such is his class. 

Leeds nullified Grealish but he was still our most dangerous player going forward. 

I do worry if this 4-3-3 leaves us a bit open in central midfield with McGinn and Barkley (especially) getting so far forward so often. 

It’s a strange one. As much as I know I should be happy with 12 points after 5 games, I kind of got used to winning and had visions of us winning the league. Winning is addictive and we’ll need Grealish to stay fit if we want it to become a habit because nobody at the club seems to think we need to address the wide forward situation in the transfer window. 

Its always dissapointing to loose a game no matter how many points you have. I'll for about this   if we can beat Southampton

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sne said:

Lost possession 19 times over the course of the game – the most of any outfield player for Villa apparently. Not a great game overall from Grealish.

Learn and move on, we all know the quality is there.

This is because very often Grealish would have three or four opposing players around him.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

This is because very often Grealish would have three or four opposing players around him.

Yep, that kind of stat says a whole lot more about the team than it does Jack, if there's no runner or no pass and Leeds can stick 3 on him then it shouldn't be a surprise if he loses the ball 

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Partly yes, his decision making also wasn't great yesterday

• Like 2

1 hour ago, villa4europe said:

Yep, that kind of stat says a whole lot more about the team than it does Jack, if there's no runner or no pass and Leeds can stick 3 on him then it shouldn't be a surprise if he loses the ball 

Too often he was poor with his possession and it wasn’t only because of 3 guys surrounding him or a lack of options to pass it off. It was just a bad day at the office.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

A mixed bag.  One of our better players, but below par for his standards.  Bit of bad luck lead to his head dropping, and then not making the right decision on occasion. Didn’t have many options going on around him so the blame is not entirely at his door. With the luck we've had from the other games so far things could've been very different 

Edited by MrBlack

22 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

It's often said about Messi as well, he loses the ball because he tries things that nobody else even thinks of and the manager knows if a few come off each game it makes the difference.  Grealish pulled off two of the most magical bits of football I've seen for Villa with that run and that ball control with the outside of his foot, was inches away from giving us the lead in the first half (a lead I think we would have held on to) and people concentrate on how many times he lost the ball.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

and I think the other question is?......what were they doing?, while Grealish is being mugged.

Think Jack has to start moving away from being stuck out on the left side to move him and us forward. Barkley sort of complicates that as he plays in the centre more often than not but I think Jack would benefit from being able to switch sides. It makes it easier for the opposition when setting up if they know he's going to attack down their right side, if he moves over and swaps or supports the right winger we will make it harder for the opposition. 

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

It's often said about Messi as well, he loses the ball because he tries things that nobody else even thinks of and the manager knows if a few come off each game it makes the difference.  Grealish pulled off two of the most magical bits of football I've seen for Villa with that run and that ball control with the outside of his foot, was inches away from giving us the lead in the first half (a lead I think we would have held on to) and people concentrate on how many times he lost the ball.

It may be a Legitimate point, but for me it raises question about the rest of the team as opposed to pointing at Jack.

I understand the accusations aimed at Jack, by many, including Southgate....but if we look at the last game and focus on jack as a prime weakness, I think we are missing the point.

I am not directly comparing here, but would folk look at Gascoigne or Best as the main problem in a defeat, when others are employed to keep the ball out of the net....I am not suggesting Jack has a total free pass on defending or pressing.....but I seen many other things in that Leeds game I would address first.

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The boy is a wizard.

I love how he doesn't overanalyse as well. He'll prepare sure, you often hear him talking about specifics of opponents; but on the pitch, it's all natural, instinctive stuff. I absolutely love watching him play football.

Utterly convinced the over the top criticism he got up until a few weeks ago when everyone was crying for him to start for England was jealousy. Pure jealousy from fans of teams who simply cannot hold onto players this good that come through their academy. And we have one that stayed with us in the championship, then kept us up, then signed a new 5 year deal. 

An Aston Villa icon.

nothing wrong with constructive criticism.....but for me Jack is not the problem in a game like the Leeds game....and he won't be in the Southampton game, its the others we need to get working effectively.

Players like Jack need space to wreck havoc or have a positive affect......its the job of other players to stop the opposition, stopping him.....they didn't do that.....they allowed the head to be cut off the snake.

We had too many players queueing up to emulate him as opposed to doing the work to support him.

• Like 1

On 24/10/2020 at 16:12, PaulC said:

Its always dissapointing to loose a game no matter how many points you have. I'll for about this   if we can beat Southampton

Huge ask imo

I think for all the reservations I have about us so far......Southampton have the means to exploit it.

I want Dean to set us up and prove me wrong.

Yeah, he could've rolled it to Ollie though I think the keeper had that angle covered. Feel like he probably should've taken the shot towards the left corner when he was more central..... or actually watching this a few times, I think everyone has missed Trez' run, could've gotten it to him for an open goal. Still, so nearly, we'll see one of these come off sooner rather than later!

On 24/10/2020 at 15:40, Genie said:

He came close to scoring one of the best goals in premier league history.

Unfortunately nobody ever remembers the great run that come to nothing.(apart from us fans that is).

Can’t blame him for going alone. But I wish he had passed. 

3 hours ago, sharkyvilla said:

How many times does Dean have to prove you wrong?

well since Lockdown in general he has.... he didn't against Leeds and I'm not sure he will against Southampton.......but prior to that, as I say, he did.

How about you?....did everything seem kinda normal in the Leeds game and run of the mill.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Unfortunately nobody ever remembers the great run that come to nothing.(apart from us fans that is).

Can’t blame him for going alone. But I wish he had passed. 

One of these days he will score a goal like that and sky will describe it as determined or plucky. They will also still be talking about van dijk being injured

Â