The RJW63 Official Jack Grealish Appreciation Thread

kevangrealish

39 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

It was just an off the cuff comment. I’m pretty sure it won’t change how Southgate manages England or his strange treatment of Jack. 

The moral high ground is all yours. 

I'm not claiming any moral high ground and if I come across that way I might want to check myself, I'm just shooting the breeze.

You did ask me a question even if it was off the cuff, which doesn't bother me at all, and I didn't want to assume if it was rhetorical, said in jest, I can't read minds.

I can only speak my own.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Southgate is thinking about when we come across the better teams. He is considering results rather than performance. So whilst this defending approach is horrible against weak teams it’s how he wants the team to learn how to play so they can grind out in result in tournament football. 

If we bore the country but get to the semi finals or final of the Euros nobody will complain. 

But the best way to beat the better teams, IMO, is to control possession.  Players like Jack and Maddison are much better at doing that.

I see Manchester united fans are now chatting  between them selves again how they will come in and offer double next season if needed.

So double the money of 80 mill that we were asking, *that's a whopping 160 million* I'd be saying to united fans and then I'd simply say * even for that price you can take a hike*

Hes not for sale go get Sancho united.

Edited by Dave-R

7 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I see Manchester united fans are now chatting  between them selves again how they will come in and offer double next season if needed.

So double the money of 80 mill that we were asking, *that's a whopping 160 million* I'd be saying to united fans and then I'd simply say * even for that price you can take a hike*

I agree, you had your shot and blew it. Why would we want to sell to our rivals for a European place anyway. 

• Like 1

Southgate is hampered by his limited imagination and ability as a tactician. He likes players as technicians who can run fast in straight lines. He has no idea what to do with a creative like Grealish meander around the pitch. Southgate wouldn’t know how to use Messi or Maradona either. I think the best Jack can hope for under Southgate will be a super sub status for games where Southgate’s preferred system isn’t working so he tries Grealish as “something different”, as he likes to put it.

• Like 2

i cant imagine how he felt making his first start for his country after being questioned was he good enough to then realising none of his team mates are on his wavelength and that he had to go looking for the ball all over the pitch against a poor wales team at home  😳

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GENTLEMAN said:

got laughed at by a lot of my mates, for suggesting the closest I've seen to Jack as a player is George Best (never seen him live),

Hey, that's my line. I DID see Best live, and yes, Jack is out of the same mould. Must be the Irish in him. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I get the impression that if Southgate was picking his Euro's squad today then Jack wouldn't be in it. If he was picking what he considers his best starting 11 he definitely wouldn't.

He is not going to play against Belgium on Sunday but will be interesting to see if he again gets a start against Denmark next Wednesday.

All Jack can do when he gets a chance is what he did last night and do his best to shine. As others have said last night was a 6/10 performance for him and he still got man of the match. If he can throw in an 8/9/10 performance then the pressure that will come from the media for him to be considered one of our best 11 may well leave Southgate with no choice but to start him regularly. It shouldn't come to that though.

Edited by markavfc40

5 hours ago, Awol said:

Worth doing though, one of best write ups on Jack I’ve read. Is all Italian football journalism that incisive?! 

It's long! Got a lot on at the mo see if I can grab some time soon. I could serialize it in this thread :P

A lot of Italian football writing is good to be honest, once you're away from the clickbait short articles there are some very good journalists about. The level of the commentary about technical things I've always liked over here, just little things like describing the options or lack of options the player receiving the ball has in front of him when he gets the ball gives you an idea of how well the other team are working off the ball etc. English commentators don't tend to do it, UK tv does all that flashy analysis at half time but a good commentator here gives you an element of that as the game is being played. 

That site, Ultimo Uomo (the last man) is great btw. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Hey, that's my line. I DID see Best live, and yes, Jack is out of the same mould. Must be the Irish in him. 

I remember you saying this a couple of years ago and getting a bit of light hearted stick. 

I've a feeling that by the end of this season those comparisons will be drawn by a great many people and no one will be questioning it. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

No, Grealish fully deserves inclusion in the squad. The only disruption to the ethos and chemistry of the team would be from Southgate's end from what I can gather.

Of course he should be in the squad. I think every man and his dog now realise what he offers. As for Southgates end, your right. Seems to be acting like a plank and I dont find it particularly professional that he didnt praise Jack like he did the others. 

One thing I can't understand with Southgate and this England team is that with the players we have at our disposal, why hasn't he tried a 4-2-3-1 formation? 

Most of the first choice defence plays in a back four and are probably more comfortable than in a 3. We don't really have any great box to box midfielders (except Barkley and Oxlade Chamberlain who's always injured) so you could pick any 2 of Henderson, Phillips, Rice, Winks who are all more defensively minded to play as a double defensive pivot. This gives space for a number 10/more attacking midfielder which could be any of Grealish, Madison, Mount, Foden as well as providing the defensive solidity for the full backs to get forward more as well (which is their strength). It also means we have space for 2 pacy wide players such as Sancho, Sterling, Rashford, Greenwood etc too. I know Kane drops deep at times but having another player that has a bit more freedom to float around and play between the lines would make us a bit more unpredictable. 

It's pretty much the same formation Leicester used when they won the league and I just think this it makes best use of the players we have, in positions that they are comfortable in

Edited by Biskitt
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

said in another post go with.....

Watkins

Jack  Barkley Cash

Probably better 😋

13 hours ago, Zatman said:

I think the truth is England have the best attack probably in my lifetime better than the "Golden Generation" 

but England also have a crap manager and it will hold them back

Agreed, the bloke is an absolute fraud. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I think Southgate just has a very rigid style he likes to play and Grealish isn't ideally suited.

Southgate is safe. He likes the team to be relatively defensively sound and he seems to just want people to move the ball back and forth and probe for openings. It's like an Aldi version of Pep football that makes for an incredibly boring watch.

I think part of his problem with Jack is Jack obviously likes to hold onto the ball, dribble, take players on etc and that doesn't sit right with Gareth because he sees it as not moving the ball etc.

What he should be doing is seeing that his system doesn't always work and having a player like Jack that can COMPLIMENT his style is absolutely ideal. Time will tell if he's stubborn enough to ignore him

I think you are bang on. Jack makes him nervous because he's unique and a small part of Southgates mind doesnt like the fact everyone hyped him, demanded he be in the squad and then went and put in a MOTM performance. I think possibly his pride took a little hit given his previous comments/silly criteria for Jack being picked for England. 

IF he genuinely has a personal issue with Jack I hope he is the bigger man and clears the air ASAP. He must realise what an amazing weapon he has to use when England inevitably struggle to break down better teams with his safe way of playing. 

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Jack wouldn’t leave a Champions League team to play for a team in a relegation battle. Jog on Man U roasters!!

• Like 1

Â