Global Warming

legov

How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?  

132 members have voted

1. 1. How certain are you that Global Warming is man-made?

• Certain
    • Likely
    • Not Likely
    • No way

This poll is closed to new votes

Today I saw pictures of 60 elephants that were beheaded by a band of no doubt merry men.

We, as a species, just don't give a ****. There is no one to keep us in check. The lunatics are running the asylum.

Here is a small counter balance to go some way to restore faith in humanity

A young great white shark is rescued from a sandbar on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, on Tuesday. People on the beach doused the shark with buckets of water until officials arrived who, after tying a rope to its tail and carefully dragging it back to water, guide it back out to sea. Witnesses said the two-metre male was stranded by a receding tide.

Edited by tonyh29

Setting aside the claim that consensus amongst scientists can be taken as proof of anything.

The question as to whether climate change is man-made misleads people into accepting certain assumptions which we are led to believe follow from it.

The worst of these being that if it is proven then our solutions to it are also correct and a worthwhile investment.

Wait, we have a solution?

Setting aside the claim that consensus amongst scientists can be taken as proof of anything.

The question as to whether climate change is man-made misleads people into accepting certain assumptions which we are led to believe follow from it.

The worst of these being that if it is proven then our solutions to it are also correct and a worthwhile investment.

Definitely not but things like wind-turbines and low-power light-bulbs are spoken of as if they were, rather than the boondoggles they actually are.

• Like 1

Kill all hippies .. fewer resources on the planet to feed and using earths resources and that we will probably also wipe out vegetarians into the bargain is just an added bonus

Edited by tonyh29

• 1 month later...

not sure where to post...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-35084374?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_breaking&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=news_central

COP21 climate change summit reaches deal in Paris

Key points

The measures in the agreement included:

• To peak greenhouse gas emissions as soon as possible and achieve a balance between sources and sinks of greenhouse gases in the second half of this century

• To keep global temperature increase "well below" 2C (3.6F) and to pursue efforts to limit it to 1.5C

• To review progress every five years

• $100 billion a year in climate finance for developing countries by 2020, with a commitment to further finance in the future.

Edited by gharperr

• 3 weeks later...

The sun has not risen above the North Pole since mid-September. The sea ice—flat, landlike, windswept, and stretching as far as the eye can see—has been bathed in darkness for months. But later this week, something extraordinary will happen: Air temperatures at the Earth’s most northernly region, in the middle of winter, will rise above freezing for only the second time on record.

The Atlantic

On 30/10/2015 at 23:50, PaulC said:

If all new houses were built with solar panels that would be a start.

Or at least be built to take them. I'd like them but my roof pitches the wrong way for the sun to hit it. 

57 minutes ago, Genie said:

Or at least be built to take them. I'd like them but my roof pitches the wrong way for the sun to hit it. 

Decent modern photo voltaics require daylight, not direct sunlight.

That 'solar' companies in this country still need to know what direction your house points is symptomatic of what is still a very amateur industry. You can strike lucky and get a decent firm install decent panels and have a positive outcome, but unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery.

Perhaps we could also ask why we are digging up the ground to build houses, but not installing ground source heat pumps at the same time whilst the diggers are in. Expensive to retro fit, but perfectly feasible to install as part of a new build. Unless of course the house builder simply needs to maximise profit on a unit they build and sell and move on rather than a more holistic approach.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Decent modern photo voltaics require daylight, not direct sunlight.

That 'solar' companies in this country still need to know what direction your house points is symptomatic of what is still a very amateur industry. You can strike lucky and get a decent firm install decent panels and have a positive outcome, but unfortunately it's a bit of a lottery.

Perhaps we could also ask why we are digging up the ground to build houses, but not installing ground source heat pumps at the same time whilst the diggers are in. Expensive to retro fit, but perfectly feasible to install as part of a new build. Unless of course the house builder simply needs to maximise profit on a unit they build and sell and move on rather than a more holistic approach.

its all about the profit. they could not give a monkeys about anything else.

• Like 1

Just been to the corner shop.

Before leaving I wondered if I'd need a coat.

Looked out the window.  A bee flew by and landed in the flowers.

It's New Years Eve in the UK.

It's got to the point where you don't need experts. Watch the news, go outside.

28 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Still think its all government bullshit myself. Alot of scientists have been kept quiet with facts about this global warming being crap.

How do you keep a scientist with facts quiet?

Surely if we know they have facts, then they haven't been kept quiet?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Xann said:

Just been to the corner shop.

Before leaving I wondered if I'd need a coat.

Looked out the window.  A bee flew by and landed in the flowers.

It's New Years Eve in the UK.

It's got to the point where you don't need experts. Watch the news, go outside.

Been happening way before our time chap. I think in 1950 something, there was sun and warm enough to have Christmas outside.

Polar ice caps have melted and reformed for thousands of years.

53 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Still think its all government bullshit myself. Alot of scientists have been kept quiet with facts about this global warming being crap.

Governments have a brilliant track record for keeping things quiet. Climate change is so completely accepted by the scientific community that anyone able to disprove it would probably get a Nobel prize. To think that "government" is somehow able to stop science shows a huge lack of awareness of the real world.

I didn't realise anyone was even pretending that climate change isn't real. I'm aware that some people argue how much is man made, but whether it's happening or not hasn't been a debate for some time.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

...A lot of scientists have been kept quiet with facts about this global warming being crap.

Yes, it's all a plot by 97% of the world's top climate experts, and the conspiracy was only uncovered thanks to the efforts of a plucky little group of Major Oil Companies.

From above, and you've seen the sat picks of the ice retreating at the poles, aye?

Then there's the scientists that don't think it's happening. Let's just remove the research and speculation of those employed by think tanks funded by the energy companies.

What you got? Man made global warming is certainly not a dead cert, it's not an exact science, quite a lot of chaos going on after all. But there's enough smart people, who's research is academic and not motivated by profit, who have access to serious scientific instruments that are telling you something isn't right.

Even Ahnold Schwarzenegger is onboard now.

• Like 1

Â