Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Don't know if I missed anything being posted in this thread, but I completely didn't realise we were this close to a release of this

I have incredibly high hopes for this. And by hopes I really do mean "hopes". As in I have no idea if it will be good, but they're my favourite books ever, and after the butchering of it by the movie version, I'm dying for someone to make a good version of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I never fully understood what everybody hated about that movie. I mean, I didn't enjoy it exactly, but it was passable time-wasting. Then again, I've never read the books. 

You've kind of answered your own question there mate.

The books (one of my favourite trilogies ever) are an excellent read, with some very interesting ideas, concepts and underlying themes.

The movie unfortunately chose to ignore most of this and went down the safe, cookie cutter fantasy route. It was a massive missed opportunity, which I'm hoping the TV show can rectify.

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 1

Im watching a Swedish drama called quicksand, feels a bit like the sinner, a why done it murder mystery type thing, unfortunately im having to watch it dubbed and the dubbing is absolute dogshit but the biggest problem it has is none of the characters are likeable, they're all rich privileged assholes, finding it hard to care

8 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I never fully understood what everybody hated about that movie. I mean, I didn't enjoy it exactly, but it was passable time-wasting. Then again, I've never read the books. 

The books are incredible.

And the film was just meh. It was a really rushed and poorly executed imo. Everything was in fast forward and none of the story got properly explained so I didn't feel anyone was invested in the characters. Especially the daemons. The main character, Lyra, wasn't cast right at all imo. Actress was fine, but it just didn't fit the character.

As @Designer1 says, the books deal with some really dark, controversial stuff. The underlying storyline is basically anti-religion, and they didn't explore any of that and then canned the sequels when they got some push back from christian groups because of the pro-atheist views of the books.

it's a bit like the Hunger Games trilogy. The movies are ok. They're not terrible, but they're not amazing. But the books are much darker, deal with much more issues and are just, well better. The movies just cheese it up and cut out a lot of the stuff that make the books good.

That's how I felt about the Golden Compass. You're right, in isolation the movie is ok. But the potential for that trilogy is huge.

I'm not sure how confident I am that the BBC will make it as dark as it has to be... but I'm still excited to see another attempt.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 3

On 20/04/2019 at 11:13, theboyangel said:

Bobby Carnavale is a class act in whatever he’s in. 

His 180 turn towards Scott Lang is the best thing in the MCU .

Image result for bobby cannavale ant man hug

Edited by Brumerican
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

The books are incredible.

And the film was just meh. It was a really rushed and poorly executed imo. Everything was in fast forward and none of the story got properly explained so I didn't feel anyone was invested in the characters. Especially the daemons. The main character, Lyra, wasn't cast right at all imo. Actress was fine, but it just didn't fit the character.

As @Designer1 says, the books deal with some really dark, controversial stuff. The underlying storyline is basically anti-religion, and they didn't explore any of that and then canned the sequels when they got some push back from christian groups because of the pro-atheist views of the books.

it's a bit like the Hunger Games trilogy. The movies are ok. They're not terrible, but they're not amazing. But the books are much darker, deal with much more issues and are just, well better. The movies just cheese it up and cut out a lot of the stuff that make the books good.

That's how I felt about the Golden Compass. You're right, in isolation the movie is ok. But the potential for that trilogy is huge.

I'm not sure how confident I am that the BBC will make it as dark as it has to be... but I'm still excited to see another attempt.

There was a massive backlash in the more conservative parts of America about the books and therefore the film, as they didn't appreciate the anti-religion sentiment in them/it.  That's why the film of the first book is very bland, and why the second and third parts of the trilogy never got made.  Despite it being easily the best book ever written.

edit:  should just say that the latest prequel to His Dark Materials was massively disappointing in my eyes.

Edited by Risso

Just now, Risso said:

There was a massive backlash in the more conservative parts of America about the books and therefore the film, as they didn't appreciate the anti-religion sentiment in them/it.  That's why the film of the first book is very bland, and why the second and third parts of the trilogy never got made.  Despite it being easily the best book ever written.

Yep. And I'm not particularly confident the BBC has the balls to make it what it needs to be either... but we'll see.

HBO are involved, which gives me more confidence.

• Like 1

“Cobra Kai Season 2’  starts at 5am GMT on YouTube. The spin off show following on from the films.

Really been looking forward to Season 2 as I’m a massive fan of the films. Going to  watch each episode from 5am

Should be 10 in total all around 25/30mins long.

is anyone else in here going to be watching a season 2?

Edited by Villan4Life

I just finished season 3 of Line of Duty. People weren't wrong about it getting increasingly ludicrous. Still enjoyable, but it's become incredibly silly.

We've been creating Line Of Duty bingo while watching

8 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

“Cobra Kai Season 2’  starts at 5am GMT on YouTube. The spin off show following on from the films.

Really been looking forward to Season 2 as I’m a massive fan of the films. Going to  watch each episode from 5am

Should be 10 in total all around 25/30mins long.

is anyone else in here going to be watching a season 2?

Yup, I'll be all over it when it lands.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, stuart_75 said:

Yup, I'll be all over it when it lands.

It’s Already out mate. Arrived on YouTube 5am this morning :D I’ve already watched all ten episodes, whole series was brilliant 

Edited by Villan4Life

Â