Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

finished the pacific - overall thoughts, good but it did feel too disjointed by the end. I mean obviously very effective at conveying the horrors of war etc and painting a picture of the pacific itself, but it was somewhat at the expense of a more intimate connection with some of the individuals involved. Tricky I guess when you want to respect the real stories involved. It also felt like each episode had it's own specific philosophical focus. This week's special "dehumanising the enemy" etc.

moved onto jack ryan which isn't as bad as I feared, initially I thought it might be all slick production, full of cliches. It has that, but also enough of a hook to push past it. Krasinksi is a watchable lead.

Finished the 4th season of Peaky Blinders.

Really impressed they manage to expand their universe each season without losing the quality and making it too far fetched.

Not many series manage that. Top stuff.

• Like 1

This is Us is annoyingly good. Annoying in the way that there is literally nothing I should like about it, from all the promo stuff and the way people have described it to me. Anyway, the better half started watching it and I'm glad she did. We've nearly finished the first series already.

It's brilliant.

• Like 1

its really good!! the first episode kind of plods along then has that clever twist and i was like yeah i like that i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, before i knew if i'd watched 18 episodes in about 4 days

think its the same as the americans though where annoyingly amazon charge you for the latest series

• Like 1

It's an interesting premise, let down by mostly bad actors, and Americans, with very few exceptions, being unable to write amusing sitcoms. 

We actually watched the entire first two seasons before realising we just weren't laughing at all, and couldn't understand why we kept watching. They're quite good at throwing a cliffhanger in at the end to make people want to keep watching, but it's just not funny. 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 1

Sooo glad to read that I’m not the only one who thinks The Good Place is actually a bit shit. I thought it was just me!

Powered through the whole thing over the summer, based on some esteemed recommendations, hoping it would get better but it certainly didn’t. It’s so smug and self-satisfied and completely unfunny. 

9 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's an interesting premise, let down by mostly bad actors, and Americans, with very few exceptions, being unable to write amusing sitcoms. 

We actually watched the entire first two seasons before realising we just weren't laughing at all, and couldn't understand why we kept watching. They're quite good at throwing a cliffhanger in at the end to make people want to keep watching, but it's just not funny. 

Jameela Jamil being the prime example of a bad actor in it.

I assume she got the role because she has an English accent. She's dreadful.

Edited by Stevo985

I love The Good Place. It's not a sidesplitting comedy, it's just nice. And Ted Danson is always great. Can't wait for the third series. 

Bodyguard has been absurd and daft but bonkers fun. Mostly because it was fun having to wait a week for a change, I finally watch a show as it airs! Ending was unsatisfying for me though. Agree it felt rushed contrived. Would have liked a few more seeds for those twists rather than just rewriting the characters in time final moments. But ah well. Best part of last night was the trailer for new Line of Duty!

• Like 2

On 21/09/2018 at 21:36, wazzap24 said:

1st episode of Maniac was intriguing. 

So are the rest. It's quite odd & definitely not for everyone but i really like it & it almost looks as pretty as a Wes Anderson movie in places.

If you sat there watching Legion & thought "this is a bit too sensible & normal for my liking" this may be the show for you

20 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Is this a good thing?

I watched the first 3 episodes and thought it was, at best, cheesy unfunny shite.

I really like it and think it's got funnier and funnier as it's gone along.

I can see why people don't like it though, it's not a lololololol-a-minute like say IASIP or Parks and Recreation.

I like the story, I like the characters and I just think it's really well made :thumb:

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

So are the rest. It's quite odd & definitely not for everyone but i really like it & it almost looks as pretty as a Wes Anderson movie in places.

If you sat there watching Legion & thought "this is a bit too sensible & normal for my liking" this may be the show for you

As a big fan of Legion, you'd have to be all kinds of crazy to think that was normal! That show made Twin Peaks look like a straight up drama! 

I've not watched another episode yet, but if it continues in a similar vein I reckon I'll really like it.

Â