Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Anyone watched Dark Tourist on Netflix?

Documentary series where 2 New Zealander's visits a bunch of "alternative" macabre tourism destinations.

Sounds interesting as long as it isn't too "Jackass" and "cool bro!"

45 minutes ago, sne said:

Documentary series where 2 New Zealander's visits a bunch of "alternative" macabre tourism destinations.

Aw yeah? Good luck with that bro :thumb:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

I found it a bit clichéd and a bit dull to be honest. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Got to agree with @HanoiVillan - it was quite boring.

Save your time and watch Anthony Bourdain instead - far more interesting and watchable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Got to agree with @HanoiVillan - it was quite boring.

Save your time and watch Anthony Bourdain instead - far more interesting and watchable.

Thanks.

With 2 out of 2 VT vores against it I'm going to give it a miss.

really liked Bourdain, although I found it a bit annoying how he found every single thing he ate tasty.

No one has a pallet adopted to liking everything :)

• Like 1

Just now, sne said:

Thanks.

With 2 out of 2 VT vores against it I'm going to give it a miss.

really liked Bourdain, although I found it a bit annoying how he found every single thing he ate tasty.

No one has a pallet adopted to liking everything :)

Ha that's true. I just find his cultural enthusiasm infectious.

My wife and I did an around the world honeymoon inspired in large part by some of his adventures. Myanmar being a particular highlight - great episode if you haven't caught it.

• Like 1

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Ha that's true. I just find his cultural enthusiasm infectious.

My wife and I did an around the world honeymoon inspired in large part by some of his adventures. Myanmar being a particular highlight - great episode if you haven't caught it.

Wow that's great.

Yeah his travel program was probably my favorite one since the old Michael Palin ones from back in the 80's and 90's

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Wow that's great.

Yeah his travel program was probably my favorite one since the old Michael Palin ones from back in the 80's and 90's

I remember that show - yeah Palin was always engaging.

The final episodes of AB's Parts Unknown start on September 23rd.

Kenya, Manhattan (Lower East Side,) Indonesia, Spain (Asturias Region,) & Texas.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-season-cnn

Unlike previous seasons, which comprised 8-10 episodes, Parts Unknown’s final chapter will run for only 7. The first episode, which finds Bourdain traveling to Kenya with his CNN colleague W. Kamau Bell,was the only one completed before Bourdain’s death. Four others—set in Manhattan’s Lower East Side, Indonesia, Spain’s mountainous Asturias region, and Texas’s “Big Bend” area, which borders Mexico—completed filming. The directors who filmed those episodes will oversee their completion, using audio Bourdain gathered during filming as well as follow-up interviews with others involved in shooting the episodes.

The final two episodes of the season will abandon the usual format entirely: instead of focusing on a location, they will serve as a retrospective of the series itself. The penultimate episode, the Timesreports, will offer fans a behind-the-scenes look at how Parts Unknownwas made, complete with outtakes and interviews with Bourdain’s cast and crew. And the series finale will turn its lens toward, as Entelis put it, “how Tony affected the world”—with reactions from fans as well as Bourdain’s friends and travel buddies, some of whom we’ve met on Parts Unknown over the years. Capturing Bourdain’s legacy will be quite a feat—but faced with the near-insurmountable task, it seems CNN is prepared to honor its star as well as anyone could.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

I remember that show - yeah Palin was always engaging.

The final episodes of AB's Parts Unknown start on September 23rd.

Kenya, Manhattan (Lower East Side,) Indonesia, Spain (Asturias Region,) & Texas.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2018/08/anthony-bourdain-parts-unknown-final-season-cnn

Will be strange watching, knowing he's gone.

19 minutes ago, sne said:

Will be strange watching, knowing he's gone.

Yes I agree. Even the ads for it get me a little choked up. I’m not usually at all bothered when celebs die but for some reason his seems to get to me. I think because of our personal connection to the show and his unique mix of confidence mixed with fallibility culminated in suicide.

So much tv/media screams “don’t go out there - it’s bad and terrible and people will eat your organs for a dollar.” AB went out and said where ever you are and where ever you’re from, people sit down to eat together and talk - from that you can have great times and sometimes life changing experiences.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, sne said:

Wow that's great.

I really should go back and watch those Palin docs again. I saw them as a small kid, and I knew Palin first as a TV traveller, so it came as a bit of a shock to me that he was famous for all this other stuff. I well remember seeing him standing in some sort of supermarket in Vladivostok and looking glum, and that seeming impossibly exotic and that I wanted to travel around the world as well, so I guess that was maybe a tiny bit formative. 

• Like 2

Ghoul - Netflix

3 part series Indian horror. Very good, enjoyed it a lot. Good use of build up, is quite restrained in that it doesn’t just throw scares at you non stop and has a decent amount of gore chucked in as well. Interesting story about intolerance and culture purging mixed in with creepy old ancient Arabic folklore. 8/10.

Recommended?

• Like 2

I watched the first episode of Killing Eve last night on BBC1.  I thought it was a blast and looking forward to watching the entire series on iPlayer (it's on there already :)).

Comedy, tragedy and thrills, this spy series has it all - The Guardian Review

...there is the snapping, crackling script – the perfect command of comedy and tragedy, and the turns to and from each, the approach to every moment that is just 10 degrees off centre and characters so fully developed that even the second-stringers can pull off self-reflexive jokes. When Eve’s off-book investigations come to light, her boss (the wonderful David Haig being customarily wonderful) notes: “You could get into a lot of trouble if I was a serious man.’

Finished Westworld s2. I still enjoyed the season and thought half the episodes were great but can see why people have checked out. Reading episode recaps and listening to theories on podcasts is a lot of work just to follow along with a TV show.

21 hours ago, trekka said:

I watched the first episode of Killing Eve last night on BBC1.  I thought it was a blast and looking forward to watching the entire series on iPlayer (it's on there already :)).

Comedy, tragedy and thrills, this spy series has it all - The Guardian Review

Can't quite decide - we also just watched the first episode, and planning to continue on iPlayer. It's certainly different - closer to James Bond as reinterpreted by French and Saunders, rather than the more usual Le Carré style approach. But I do think it's maybe trying too hard to be 'quirky'. We shall see.. 

Â