Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

17 hours ago, sidcow said:

I've started watching a (very highly) fictional show about Shakespeare called "Will" 

And I'm just watching a play by him, called "Hamlet" (BBC broadcast, last night). Music by Bob Dylan. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mjmooney said:

And I'm just watching a play by him, called "Hamlet" (BBC broadcast, last night). Music by Bob Dylan. 

Cheers mike, I didn’t realise that was on. I’ll try and catch it on the iplayer.

I’m trying to get into that sort of thing more, although I admit I find it hard going at times.

2 hours ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Cheers mike, I didn’t realise that was on. I’ll try and catch it on the iplayer.

I’m trying to get into that sort of thing more, although I admit I find it hard going at times.

I'm not a total Shakespeare geek by any means, but I am kind of obsessed by Hamlet. Studied it for A-Level, and I loved it from the get-go. I must have seen dozens of productions (live and on screen), and I rate this particular version as one of the best - once you get used to Andrew Scott's Dublin accent. He does wave his arms around a bit too much though  :) The Dylan music doesn't really add much, but as a Dylan fan I ain't complaining. 

• Like 2

On 01/04/2018 at 20:25, mjmooney said:

I'm not a total Shakespeare geek by any means, but I am kind of obsessed by Hamlet. Studied it for A-Level, and I loved it from the get-go. I must have seen dozens of productions (live and on screen), and I rate this particular version as one of the best - once you get used to Andrew Scott's Dublin accent. He does wave his arms around a bit too much though  :) The Dylan music doesn't really add much, but as a Dylan fan I ain't complaining. 

Just watched it, very good. I see what you mean about Andrew Scott’s arms - very animated. 

I was pleasantly surprised at how many quotes I recognised from it, from Polonius in particular.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Just watched it, very good. I see what you mean about Andrew Scott’s arms - very animated. 

When he's 'coaching' the leader of the players, he says "Do not saw the air too much with your hands".  :)

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

When he's 'coaching' the leader of the players, he says "Do not saw the air too much with your hands".  :)

Yes I did wonder how knowing he was when he said that line. 

He was very good, but it was exhausting watching him at times.

• Like 1

I'm not normally a fan of 'anachronistic' stagings of Shakespeare (setting the plays in the wild west, or on a space station, or whatever), but I thought this Hamlet really worked - showed a strong influence of political Scandi-noir psychodrama. 

• Like 1

On 4/1/2018 at 15:11, sne said:

5 episodes in to Jessica Jones s2.

It's OK but having the villain being a angry middle age woman with a wig who burns stuff in her yard isn't really that exciting yet.

Hoping there is a bigger story arch that will develop.

Edit: Turns out there was :D

Still a much weaker season than the first one so far.

Sme its been crap, season one so much better so far 

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I just started Suits last night and it's brilliant.

Does it go downhill as the seasons go by or is it still a decent watch?

It's brilliant for a while, then drops off a bit, but still more than watchable.

I'm about to start season 5 (I think), but Mike and Rachel leave after that, so I'll probably bin it off then. 

• Like 1

Loving AMC's The Terror. 5 episodes in and it's brilliant.

Looks amazing, the acting is great and I really like their adaptation of the story.

People in isolated places meets unknown horror is my favorite genre so this is right up my ally.

Edited by sne

6 minutes ago, sne said:

Loving AMC's The Horror. 5 episodes in and it's brilliant.

Looks amazing, the acting is great and I really like their adaptation of the story.

People in isolated places meets unknown horror is my favorite genre so this is right up my ally.

Is that anything like The Terror? ;)

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, sne said:

Hahaha Ooops!

Yeah I meant the Terror :blush:

Yeah it's on my to watch list.

Looks right up my street and it's got a cracking cast.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I just started Suits last night and it's brilliant.

Does it go downhill as the seasons go by or is it still a decent watch?

Its amazing for S1-3, dips a little for S4, great for S5, S6 is slightly different but still good, and S7 is back to its best. 

Off topic, but I started watching Designated Survivor last week.

I am not watching a good TV show.

It started brilliantly, if a little vomit-inducing (producers of these types of shows don't consider that their global viewers don't get all misty eyed about the stars and stripes and people shouting God Bless America). It's a really interesting premise for a show -

Spoiler

a fairly unknown politician gets power thrusted upon him after the entire government is wiped out.

I was actually enjoying it, suspending my disbelief through the ridiculous OTT actiony bits, and holding my nose throughout the American self-indulgence. The bit that told me enough was enough was when the cliché techno-nerd, finds a CCTV image of an unidentified suspect....And zooms in on a wine glass in the background, finds her finger print, and uses that to identify her. 

Get to ****. :angry:

It's an unusual show. The actual premise is brilliant, the writing is truly terrible. It stretches credulity to its limits, then keeps going, and the dialogue...my god, the dialog. Yet, the acting is surprisingly good, so much so that they managed to carry the ridiculous writing for quite a few episodes, before it just becomes too much.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Davkaus said:

It's an unusual show. The actual premise is brilliant, the writing is truly terrible. It stretches credulity to its limits, then keeps going, and the dialogue...my god, the dialog. Yet, the acting is surprisingly good, so much so that they managed to carry the ridiculous writing for quite a few episodes, before it just becomes too much.

It then turns in to a poor man's West Wing with a little late Homeland on the side.

Yes, I'm still watching it - like a clearing in the woods.

Â