Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

10 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Young Offenders on iPlayer.  Think it might be on BBC1 in real life.  Not sure.

I watched the original film a few months back and really enjoyed it.  I wrote about it in the movie thread and know a few other folks enjoyed it too.  It's been commissioned as a TV series, and it's probably even better than the film.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a couple of young chavs from Cork who are always getting into scrapes.  They're lovable rogues, though, and the one lad's relationship with his Mom (his Dad died on a building site when someone dropped a hammer off the scaffolding) is incredibly tender.

The show has had me and the Mrs howling with laughter and crying at the emotive bits.  I don't think it will be everyones cup of tea, but it's original and could well grab some awards somewhere along the line.

Loved the film. Helps that it’s set in the part of west cork where’s my mom is from. Bizarre to see the tiny little village we holiday in (I’m there as I type this) on a movie!

havent watched the show yet but will definitely check it out. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NurembergVillan said:

The Young Offenders on iPlayer.  Think it might be on BBC1 in real life.  Not sure.

I watched the original film a few months back and really enjoyed it.  I wrote about it in the movie thread and know a few other folks enjoyed it too.  It's been commissioned as a TV series, and it's probably even better than the film.

If you're not familiar with it, it's a couple of young chavs from Cork who are always getting into scrapes.  They're lovable rogues, though, and the one lad's relationship with his Mom (his Dad died on a building site when someone dropped a hammer off the scaffolding) is incredibly tender.

The show has had me and the Mrs howling with laughter and crying at the emotive bits.  I don't think it will be everyones cup of tea, but it's original and could well grab some awards somewhere along the line.

yeah I have been watching the show having watched the film a while back. I think the characters and tone actually lend itself better to a sitcom than a full length movie though It is weird how there are some lines and scenes recreated exactly from the movie. All the cast seem to have returned too. really enjoying it

• Like 1

I'd never heard of this guy until he popped up on Netflix's front page today. 

Apparently it's his first special  performed in English. (He's a big deal in France it seems)

I thought he was superb. 

Gad Elmaleh: American Dream on Netflix UK

Edited by Brumerican

Finished The Orville.

Not bad at all and not what I had expected.

Thought it was going to be full on National Lampoons style Star Trek spoof, but turns it wasn't.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sne said:

Finished The Orville.

Not bad at all and not what I had expected.

Thought it was going to be full on National Lampoons style Star Trek spoof, but turns it wasn't.

Same here. 

There's a lot more drama to it than I thought there would be and they tackled some weighty subjects, but with gags as well. 

I can only really describe it as a homage to the original Star Trek, but both more serious and funnier at the same time. 

Whatever it is, it was pretty good. 

• Like 1

So S 2 of Jessica Jones is out.

Quite liked the first one  (along with DD and Punisher it's the only one's that been watchable) 

Anyone started watching yet?

Also 2 seasons in of the 100

It's plodding along OK, some of the acting thou is just awful.

Especially the chick playing Indra. Both the character and the acting is about as bad as I've ever seen.

I think the new season of Love of Netflix has just released today so looking forward to watching that, I'm probably the only person though!

New series of Naked and Afraid starts this weekend, also looking forward to that.

A few weeks to Silicon Valley as well and still watching The Alienist.

42 minutes ago, sne said:

Quite liked the first one  (along with DD and Punisher it's the only one's that been watchable) 

I might watch a bit of it today.

I liked the original series, but I'm beginning to think a fair bit of that like was because Tennant's Kilgrave was a very very well done villain, and less because the rest of the show was very good. I liked Krysten Ritter as Jones, I do wonder how long that sarcastic tone can sustain itself though however. But I'd like it to be another good entry.

Netflix's stuff started brilliantly but it's wobbled since that great start. Daredevil series 2 is very uneven, with 2 storylines of very different quality. Luke Cage is actively dull, starts decently and then falls off a cliff. Iron Fist was a rushed and messy show that didn't know how to use the character and was arguably miscast (though wasn't as bad as everyone made out by any means - I actually think Luke Cage is worse by dint of being so, so boring). And the Defenders was on the wrong foot from the get go with the wrong story, which meant the show was much less than the sum of its parts and had about 20 minutes of good moments in its entire run. The Punisher was a return to form however, and was a really good watch IMO.

One thing the entire project has suffered with is being padded. The (besides Defenders) 13 episode runs are too long and every series has a lull in the middle, bar perhaps the Punisher which gets around it by having its plot shift naturally.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

A few weeks to Silicon Valley as well

I love that show, but I'm absolutely gutted that Erlich won't be in it anymore. He provided the most LOL's imo, closely followed by Dinesh and Gilfoyle's banter. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

I might watch a bit of it today.

I liked the original series, but I'm beginning to think a fair bit of that like was because Tennant's Kilgrave was a very very well done villain, and less because the rest of the show was very good. I liked Krysten Ritter as Jones, I do wonder how long that sarcastic tone can sustain itself though however. But I'd like it to be another good entry.

Spoiler free review i read suggested it starts really slowly with some wheels in motion episodes but then ends with some really strong episodes, also said the same about DT's Kilgrave and your comment about too many episodes 

14 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I love that show, but I'm absolutely gutted that Erlich won't be in it anymore. He provided the most LOL's imo, closely followed by Dinesh and Gilfoyle's banter. 

It will be a loss but he chose to walk away. I hope they don't try to instantly replace him because that will be a mistake.

Spoiler

It really is time for them to actually experience some success this season as well. I know that part of the comedy comes from their continued failures but sooner or later we need some pay off!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Finished Inside Number 9 and loved it.  I've never seen The League of Gentlemen so I think I'll give it a whirl next.

If you enjoyed 9 you're in for a treat.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Finished Inside Number 9 and loved it.  I've never seen The League of Gentlemen so I think I'll give it a whirl next.

Watch Psychoville too.

• Like 1

Second series of Jessica Jones has been very good so far (3 eps in).

Ritter inhabits that main role so well now and even though the cynicism is slightly wearing after a while she still manages to be appealing.

I'm expecting a little bit of bagginess at some point (13 eps is 3 too many usually) but so far so good.

Sad to say it seems like they are doing a total hash of the upcoming The Passage TV-series.

Changing characters from the book for no apparent reason, removing main characters, changing director, moving the release date and so on and so on.

Such a shame as the books by Justin Cronin are excellent.

Had such high hopes for this one, hopefully they can still selvage it. Fox probably not the right company to make this series.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sne said:

Sad to say it seems like they are doing a total hash of the upcoming The Passage TV-series.

Changing characters from the book for no apparent reason, removing main characters, changing director, moving the release date and so on and so on.

Such a shame as the books by Justin Cronin are excellent.

Had such high hopes for this one, hopefully they can still selvage it. Fox probably not the right company to make this series.

It's not looking good. I remember when it was announced Fox had the rights, I was pretty gutted.

It should have been HBO, Netflix or Amazon. Needed a big budget and a recognised cast.

It has the potential to be one of THE great TV shows and they are gonna ruin it. 

• Like 1

On 17/02/2018 at 19:12, Designer1 said:

One of my favourites at the moment...

the-good-place.png?w=736

Some really lovely, witty writing and Danson is superb.

Threw myself in to this yesterday. Enjoying it and, as you say, Danson's very good.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2018 at 10:14, sne said:

I am on second episode now, so far been very lame. Not much happening 

Â