Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

1 hour ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not really hard sci fi and not in the same league as the expanse but the 2 syfy shows that they run back to back on Fridays Killjoys & Dark Matter are entertaining enough if a bit cliched & cheesy at times.

Both are due to start season 3 next month

Killjoys is 10 eps per season & Dark matter 13 so easy enough to catch up on both in a week or so

Cheers! If either of those are an upgrade on The 100 which is entertaining enough at face value, but a little to cheesy/tweeny for my taste then I'm happy for the time being :D.

2 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Any other great sci fi series that are more "hard sci fi" (not necessary, but preferrable) anyone can recommend because I'm all ears.

Colony might be worth a look for you. If you were to read it's a Carlton Cuse creation, starring Sawyer from Lost and Lori from Walking Dead / Sara from Prison Break, you might fear the worse. It's actually thoroughly decent. Not nearly ground breaking by any means, but it's good.

Short synopsis - an unseen Alien force quickly (read near instantaneously) occupies the world and creates 'colonies' by erecting enormous walls to split up cities, and rule with an iron fist - aided by human representatives. You're probably thinking 'sounds like V', but not quite - the series is immediately concerned with the time frame some time after the 'invasion'. There are two series' out, with a third to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, osmark86 said:

waiting on the next season for my (current) favourite sci fi shows: The Expanse and Black Mirror.

Any other great sci fi series that are more "hard sci fi" (not necessary, but preferrable) anyone can recommend because I'm all ears.

Ophan Black is a great sci-fi thriller - not set in space, but more 'hard' than The 100. 

21 minutes ago, hogso said:

Colony might be worth a look for you. If you were to read it's a Carlton Cuse creation, starring Sawyer from Lost and Lori from Walking Dead / Sara from Prison Break, you might fear the worse. It's actually thoroughly decent. Not nearly ground breaking by any means, but it's good.

Short synopsis - an unseen Alien force quickly (read near instantaneously) occupies the world and creates 'colonies' by erecting enormous walls to split up cities, and rule with an iron fist - aided by human representatives. You're probably thinking 'sounds like V', but not quite - the series is immediately concerned with the time frame some time after the 'invasion'. There are two series' out, with a third to come.

Hahaha your assumptions about what I might fear/think were spot on :). Sounds like a pretty interesting set up. Thanks a ton!

10 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Ophan Black is a great sci-fi thriller - not set in space, but more 'hard' than The 100. 

I've seen some of it but I must admit it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I've only ever caught about 4-5 episodes however so if it gets a lot denser/more interesting after that then I might give it a second chance. Cheers mate.

Btw @osmark86, your avatar always reminds me of TV Boy / Canti-sama / Lord of Black Flames from FLCL, but I don't think it is. Is it?

And on that point, have you ever watched any Sci-Fi anime? Steins;Gate is pretty excellent.

6 minutes ago, hogso said:

Btw @osmark86, your avatar always reminds me of TV Boy / Canti-sama / Lord of Black Flames from FLCL, but I don't think it is. Is it?

And on that point, have you ever watched any Sci-Fi anime? Steins;Gate is pretty excellent.

It ain't :D, hadn't heard of the reference before you mentioned it.

Have only watched som Ghost in the Shell sci fi anime and it's alright but nowhere near as good as the original movies. Also seen some Attack on Titan but I guess that qualifies as more in the fantasy genre. Also, not purely anime but pretty damn awesome, Aeon Flux.

Any tips and I'll ave em mate

1 hour ago, osmark86 said:

I've seen some of it but I must admit it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. I've only ever caught about 4-5 episodes however so if it gets a lot denser/more interesting after that then I might give it a second chance. Cheers mate.

If you didn't like it after 4-5 episodes, you won't like the rest,
Its gets slightly more depth later, but still not that much different from the start.

On 2017-5-19 at 14:11, hogso said:

I've already posted about it earlier in the thread (prior to the final episode at the time, I think) but it's certainly worth saying again, even if the blurb was enough to make you want to watch it - the performance by Jack Rowan as Sam in the lead role is utterly fantastic. He appears to have very few acting credits at the moment, but I would hope he continues his acting career.

I thought it started OK but then never really went anywhere fast and when it did it was a bit predictable.

I thought "The Trial" on Channel 4 would be really good, but it's really not doing it for me.

It's as realistic as it can be but I don't think I can get over the fact that it's all set up. It just makes any twists and turns a bit meh.

Impressed by how they've done it all though.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 21:57, Milfner said:

Piling my way through The Keepers on Netflix (on episode 5/7 already). It's totally compelling, another complete miscarriage of justice in the US. This year's Making A Murderer, but better imo. 

Hmmm, I'm 2 episodes in and it certainly hasn't grabbed me yet.

It's interesting, but they're spending so much time explaining the backstory of the incident that I'm losing interest.
I'm sure that backstory will pay off, but it's a little dragged out.

I'm hugely suspicious of one of the women involved though. Which makes me feel incredibly guilty, but I can't help it.

29 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It's interesting, but they're spending so much time explaining the backstory of the incident that I'm losing interest.

I'm hugely suspicious of one of the women involved though. Which makes me feel incredibly guilty, but I can't help it.

Thats interesting. I am also 2 episodes in and am absolutely captivated. Am also incredibly disturbed. I thought i was pretty tough and desensitised but it has been fairly harrowing so far.

Oh and by the way I think I know who you mean and what you mean and be lying if I said it hadnt crossed my mind too

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I thought "The Trial" on Channel 4 would be really good, but it's really not doing it for me.

It's as realistic as it can be but I don't think I can get over the fact that it's all set up. It just makes any twists and turns a bit meh.

Impressed by how they've done it all though.

It aint as good as Crown Court is it

48 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I've been glued to it. I could understand if the nature of the story would perhaps push people further away but it certainly has my attention. 

Which one?

Edited by Milfner

39 minutes ago, Milfner said:

I've been glued to it. I could understand if the nature of the story would perhaps push people further away but it certainly has my attention. 

Which one?

I'll spoiler tag this, but it's only a spoiler up to episode 2 as that's as far as I've seen. So please don't spoil anything else if you reply :)

Spoiler

The one who's giving the most detail, and claims the priest led her to Sister Cathy's body as a warning to not tell people about what they were doing.

I was suspicious straight away when she gave so much detail about the abuse in terms of the dialogue that was spoken. It just didn't sound right.

I do believe her that she was abused, and I'm not trying to take away from how horrible that must have been. But I just get the feeling she is exaggerating some of it in terms of what was said, and I definitely don't believe that she was shown the body.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Thats interesting. I am also 2 episodes in and am absolutely captivated. Am also incredibly disturbed. I thought i was pretty tough and desensitised but it has been fairly harrowing so far.

Oh and by the way I think I know who you mean and what you mean and be lying if I said it hadnt crossed my mind too

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's crap or anything. I AM interested, it is shocking and I can tell it's going to be a good doc.
I was commenting more on the Making a Murderer comparison. That had me totally glued from episode 1. This hasn't really done that yet. Halfway through the second episode I was kind of thinking "I get it, these girls were being abused, we can move on now"

It still seems to be a very good show

Edited by Stevo985

Â