Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

43 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

I've started watching it as everyone says its really good. 

I assume its meant to be a sitcom, but i've only laughed about 5 times in 6 episodes.

Am i missing the humour, or is it not meant to be funny?

I've tried too, it's one of those comedies where I just find the actors are trying too hard to be funny rather than acting out a funny script, if that makes sense.  I'd lump Big Bang Theory into that group as well.  I can't stand it.

I've watched about 3-4 episodes of Brooklyn 99 so far, and it has it's moments, but not wildly funny as others. I'm going to keep watching it for now, as I can imagine it could be the kind of show that once it finds the right rhythm could be very funny indeed. 

It's Always Sunny is still scheduled for another 2 seasons but I think they'll just hang them out  until Glenn Howerton realises he's not going to be one of Hollywood's leading males anytime soon , He's still pissed off that  he never got the Star Lord gig in Guardians of the Galaxy .

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Like most American comedies with 5 or more seasons.

Starts off okay.. then gets better in seasons 2 & 3.. bit of a slip at season 4 & 5, then some really abstract episodes.. then some soppy goodbye type episodes to wrap up the last 7 years of your miserable life. 

Then you just sit there thinking "why don't they just make another 90 seasons? - that'd do me.. now what do I watch?.. Pass me the bleach"

"no! don't drink the bleach, your insides are already VERY clean"

"I know, but I am sad about finishing Parks and Rec for the 2nd time, just give me to me"

"No!"

"Yes! I have nothing to live for anymore, let me just end it"

"No!!! Give me that back!"

*Gurgle*

"Don.. Don't do it!!  OMG.. wake up!  *Slap* Wake UP!!!"

"Hello, My husband has drank some bleach and is dead, is there some new recovery position to put people in?"

"Oh! haha! That's changed since I last did some St. Johns training in 1993"

"Ok, well that's great, thanks for all your help".

*gurgle*

"Oh hi love, would you like to watch Community now?  I found it on Netflix whilst you were dead"

*Yawn* - "Yes please, that sounds good.  Can we have sausage, chips and beans for dinner? I like that"

"Naughty!! But OK.. But it's only because you drank the bleach and died!"

(all together) "HAHAHAHA-sigh".

FIN.

Step away from the bleach... everything is going to be ok!

36 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I realised today that the newest Red Dwarf series completely passed me by. Is it worth a watch?

It's better than the other "new" series' but it's not amazing. If you were a fan back in the day, then it's probably worthwhile but don't expect too much.

48 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

This was a comedy?!

The thing is what should probably just be labelled as "feel good" gets labelled as "comedy" didn't tickle my sides but made me smile, I liked it, thought the very end was quite clever too

• Like 1

and me, dont know how they manage to change the setting entirely and still make it so good, i like how they can leave one episode not on a cheap cliffhanger but certainly full of intrigue but then not actually revisit that part of the story for another 2 episodes, it goes off exploring other story arcs

i do miss the incredible piano loop from the 1st series though :( 

• Like 2

Iron Fist starts badly and gets better, 4 episodes in.

I'm unsure exactly what the critics have been watching. It's not the best of Netflix's Marvel stuff so far, but after Luke Cage its a masterpiece. The action isn't anywhere near as good as it should be (given the character should be about the greatest martial artist imaginable, the fight scenes are too heavily cut and lack much weight/believability) and Jones is all over the place, but it's fine. Story is fine (it actually manages to take an Achilles heel of the Daredevil S2 story and so far makes it intriguing), looks alright, it has its fair share of stupid and the version in my head of the show is immeasurably better, but it's fine.

Critics mauled these opening episodes, but first episode aside, it's enjoyable enough stuff and already is linking up the Defenders storyline. I can't escape the feeling the race issue has coloured the critical opinion.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Chindie said:

Critics mauled these opening episodes, but first episode aside, it's enjoyable enough stuff and already is linking up the Defenders storyline. I can't escape the feeling the race issue has coloured the critical opinion.

What race issue though? The character is the same race they have always been. And it's something you can't attack Marvel for.  They have actually bought more racial diversity into the MCU than existed in the original material. 

1 minute ago, jon_c said:

What race issue though? The character is the same race they have always been. And it's something you can't attack Marvel for.  They have actually bought more racial diversity into the MCU than existed in the original material. 

I agree with you.

There is a problem with any story like Iron Fist, it's the white savior trope which is heavily embedded into loads of fiction and a bunch of comic characters from the 60s and 70s. White guy goes to other culture, becomes the best of them etc etc. But the characters origin is what it is, it's problematical but it's born of the 70s kung fu craze and you can't get away from that without basically making a new character.

I wouldn't have been bothered if they had bowed down to the clamour to make Danny of East Asian descent, because ultimately his origin doesn't need to have him be white. They would crash into another problem though - of course he can do martial arts, he's Chinese! That stereotype isn't helpful either.

But equally I'm not going to criticise them for not changing it. They've made changes elsewhere as you say and, Ancient One aside (see above for racist stereotype problem that damned them either way with that one), nobody cared. Heimdall isn't black, but people rightly like Elba in the role, Mordo is an old white guy, Ejiofor is great in the role. Hogarth is a man, that switched him to an openly lesbian character. Etc etc.

It just seems that false controversy has heavily coloured the critics IMO. Even the ones saying they put it aside don't ultimately. I've watched 5 episodes today and the show I've seen is largely not one I recognise from the reviews. It's not perfect at all, but it's not bad (opening episode aside, which is dreadful).

I've got round to watching a few episodes of Iron Fist now. So far, I like it. Certainly doesn't deserve the mauling it's been getting.

On the fight scenes, the problem lies in that he's meant to be so good, no one is a challenge (as far as I've watched). So the fights are short and conclusive. Somewhat like the climatic scene in Crouching Tiger where Li Mu Bai faces off with Jen Yu, and there's no contest. 

Watched Line of Duty series 3 last year and loved it. Watching the first two at the moment in preparation for the new series (will watch s3 again too), such top quality tv.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, jon_c said:

I've got round to watching a few episodes of Iron Fist now. So far, I like it. Certainly doesn't deserve the mauling it's been getting.

On the fight scenes, the problem lies in that he's meant to be so good, no one is a challenge (as far as I've watched). So the fights are short and conclusive. Somewhat like the climatic scene in Crouching Tiger where Li Mu Bai faces off with Jen Yu, and there's no contest. 

The issues with the fight scenes for me are the cinematography and choreography, and the performances, aren't quite as good as they should be.

The fights have too many cuts, done because they've cast someone who isn't a martial artist as a character who is meant to be the greatest fighter imaginable, so the cuts let them hide stunt men and make it easier and cheaper to shoot. Great fight scenes are cut rarely and carefully, so you can focus on and admire the skill and ability on show. This isn't and uses the cuts to distract.

A lot of the fights so far aren't particularly interestingly done either. This should be a show with an equivalent, realistically better, fight scene like Daredevil's corridor fights every other episode. Instead we get a few fairly bbland punch ups and a couple of OK set pieces.

And then the fights aren't done that well either, with punches obviously pulled and hits/moves unconvincing. Daredevil had this problem too, but here they really needed to do a bit better. The first fight in the first 5 minutes is horrendous, thankfully they up their game from the second episode. It undermines the character too, you struggle to buy his ability if you can't believe even a simple kick or punch is landing.

Rand is supposed to be an astounding fighter, every fight should be spectacular. That isn't the case so far. We've had a few stock kung fu techniques, but nothing flashy, nothing that shows he's more than just well trained he's on a different level.

Saying all that, I am really enjoying it despite the flaws. Just being a fan if the character I want it to be better. Again, the reviews are nonsense. At worst so far it's alright.

Â