Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Neil Gaiman has confirmed he's adapted Good Omens into a 6 part TV series after having a posthumous request to do it by Pratchett. Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood. And not American.

Also confirmed that a series inspired by Pratchett's Watch characters is still going ahead, and the 4th Discworld book, Mort, is to be made into a feature film. Mort is an interesting one to pick. It's the first book where it felt like he had a solid idea of the world, and is quite self contained whilst introducing a lot of the themes and rules of the Discworld, and setting up a few characters and plots down the road, but it's also a bit of an odd story for a film - Death takes an apprentice and he messes with reality by failing in his duty whilst Death explores what it means to be human... Meet Joe Black but 10 years earlier and set in a fantasy satire.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Meath_Villan said:

Two episodes into narcos ......wow

It's right up there with the best. Utterly, utterly brilliant from start to end. Every episode is pure class. 

Can't wait for the second (and final) series. 

• Like 1

On 13 April 2016 at 12:32, BOF said:

And I just finished the first series of Banshee.  Thankfully it does get a lot better than the first 2 episodes, starting with episode 3 funnily enough :)  Now on to the next 3.

What did you think of episode 6? The fight in the prison with the Albino? 

Goddamm that was insane. 

What did you think of episode 6? The fight in the prison with the Albino? 

Goddamm that was insane. 

That was brilliant. The whole build up. He was a great character too. Proper creepy. Almost a shame he couldn't have been used more in the show.

11 hours ago, Chindie said:

Neil Gaiman has confirmed he's adapted Good Omens into a 6 part TV series after having a posthumous request to do it by Pratchett. Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood. And not American.

Also confirmed that a series inspired by Pratchett's Watch characters is still going ahead, and the 4th Discworld book, Mort, is to be made into a feature film. Mort is an interesting one to pick. It's the first book where it felt like he had a solid idea of the world, and is quite self contained whilst introducing a lot of the themes and rules of the Discworld, and setting up a few characters and plots down the road, but it's also a bit of an odd story for a film - Death takes an apprentice and he messes with reality by failing in his duty whilst Death explores what it means to be human... Meet Joe Black but 10 years earlier and set in a fantasy satire.

They need to move away from the lameness of previous Pratchett tv adaptations. They have all been a bit hokey and crap so far. 

Fwiw, I loved mort and think it would make a great film :)

Edited by Ingram85

3 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

They need to move away from the lameness of previous Pratchett tv adaptations. They have all been a bit hokey and crap so far. 

Fwiw, I loved mort and think it would make a great film :)

I don't mind the previous adaptations, although the Colour of Magic is ropey as hell, but they could be better. Good Omens is such a brilliant book it deserves to be done well, and obviously Gaiman wrote half of it so he should do a good job on the screenplay, but so much of that book is the gags in the thoughts and asides of the characters that its going to be hard to translate to the screen and not lose a lot of the humour (which is a problem for all of Pratchett's work). There's a brilliant gag about pre-decimal UK currency that's in a footnote that just won't work on the screen for example, or the M25 joke in the opening.

Thankfully they should be able to keep it British though, the story won't translate anywhere else without losing its identity. So much of it is about what would happen if the Anti-Christ was raised in a picture postcard British village by accident, the humour is entirely based on a British sensibility. That's why Gilliam's attempt wouldn't have worked. Aziraphale is not Robin Williams. Johnny Depp isn't Crowley. Etc etc.

I'm coming round to Mort. It's a decent story and a good jumping off point for that world. But I want this to be the start of a Discworld universe on screen, and Mort isn't a must see story that engages loads of people. They might have been better skipping to Guards Guards and build from the perspective of the Watch. Cast right and you've got a great seam of characters to build on and so many stories revolve around Ankh Morpork that you build that world at the same time and branch out. Mort gives you a self contained in to the wider world and the ideas of that world, but beyond that and introducing Death, you never revisit any of these characters. 

The people vs OJ Simpson has been brilliant, can remember a bit of it but obviously not the context of the racism and how it played for the defence, madness really

Almost like the opposite of the Steve Avery case, the impossible task of proving him guilty to jurors who aren't interested because they've been sold on him before the case begins

And those who played marcia Clark and Jonny Cochran are superb, gooding jr, travolta and Ross geller were ropey

It dropped the kardashian nonsense in the 2nd episode and he's actually a good character

5 hours ago, theboyangel said:

The Line Of Duty is a special program - well done BBC2, all three series have been brilliant.

I loved the first series as it was filmed in Brum and I recognised most of the places.

Not seen the third series but need to!

• Like 1

Ah yeah, I remember. The pub scenes were in the Queens Arms, Newhall St. The outside shots of the front of the police station was that old building on Broad St, opposite the ICC. Can't think what its called?

Just watched the last two episodes of Girls, and now feeling gutted I have to wait another year for season 6 (assuming the article I read is correct). Brilliant season, Lena Durham is pretty much a genius. 

• Like 1

Well the finale to Better Call Saul season 2 was good if a bit uneventful.

Looking forward to next season though. I really hope he starts getting involved in the criminal underworld and we get to see Gus.

Spoiler

I guess that was Gus that interfered to stop Mike from sniping Salamanca and left him the note?

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 3

It was the most unfinale-like finale I think I've ever seen. So in that respect it was massively disappointing. That said, if the episode had been at any other point in the season I would've thought that it was brilliant. 

15 hours ago, Ginko said:

Well the finale to Better Call Saul season 2 was good if a bit uneventful.

Looking forward to next season though. I really hope he starts getting involved in the criminal underworld and we get to see Gus.

Reveal hidden contents

I guess that was Gus that interfered to stop Mike from sniping Salamanca and left him the note?

It was a great season overall and the standard is really great. I barely watch any other American series so not sure if this is one of the best or there are other shows up to the same standard?

There's definitely another 2-3 series before we hit the start of breaking bad, there still so much to cover. It actually annoys me we have to wait another 10 months for the next season!

Â