Anyone Watching A Good Tv Show?

AVFCforever1991

Haha no, I don't buy that. There's no way you would not ask the most basic of questions in that situation. It was just incredibly lazy writing that treated viewers as idiots IMO. He would've been found out straight away and the whole storyline would've ended immediately. 

The Walking Dead lacks humour. Z Nation is better for that and a more believable cure in Murphy, but it is somehow still worse than TWD, which is quite an achievement.

Well, that worked. 

Edited by BillyShears
Bad quoting

The Walking Dead lacks humour. Z Nation is better for that and a more believable cure in Murphy, but it is somehow still worse than TWD, which is quite an achievement.

Well, that worked. 

I didn't write that. Not sure why I'm quoted...

Fair play to you mate. The predictable, repetitive nature of it annoys me but I know lots of people who love it, so maybe I'm missing something! And it can't be that bad as I still watch it! Although the whole bit last season where the guy with the mullet says that he's got the cure and everyone just BELIEVES HIM, literally no questions asked, is maybe the most stupid bit of supposedly good TV I've ever seen.

I don't think you're missing anything at all. I know plenty of people who don't like it. I like the characters and the action side of stuff, although a bit repetitive, I like how it's gone so far. It just depends what you like. A lot of my mates loved Mad Men. The acting and dialogue is clearly better, but there is absolutely no hook to the show at all. I'd rather watch paint try, but supposedly it's a brilliant show.

• Like 1

I don't think you're missing anything at all. I know plenty of people who don't like it. I like the characters and the action side of stuff, although a bit repetitive, I like how it's gone so far. It just depends what you like. A lot of my mates loved Mad Men. The acting and dialogue is clearly better, but there is absolutely no hook to the show at all. I'd rather watch paint try, but supposedly it's a brilliant show.

I feel like opening up this debate to a wider point about all American TV shows. The 7-9 series 24 episode format that seems to be the holy grail of the TV execs ruins so many good concepts IMO. And the success of a first series can often be the shows downfall. It IS all personal obviously and it certainly does just depend what you like. Personally Ive always loved the repetitive format of shows like Star Trek, Quantum Leap, Buffy, Eureka (before it goes all 1940s), Psych and my latest guilty pleasure Zoo (a show with dialogue that has us creasing in derisive laughter at times) but you forgive them a multitude of sins because they don't hang around, they just keep the story rolling, the pace up and you're on to the next thing without having to give it much thought. But thats all tea-time stuff. Like Dr Who. I kinda expect a bit more care and attention from proper drama though.

Too many good concepts are lost when you're trying to make them into over 100 hours of broadcastable material. Heroes, Prison Break, Revenge, United States of Tara, all really good concepts I thought and all watchable for a series, but then their success means they get signed up and the focus shifts to milking a commercial entity rather than writing, filming and delivering a decent story. All too often they have some Sue Ellen realising it was all a dream moment to bring us back to square one so we can rehash the whole thing over and over and over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, blandy said:

The Bridge (3rd series, or "season" as it seems to be the fashion to call a bunch of programmes) is back on next weekend (21st) on BBC4. Tremendiant.

Season - US

Series - UK & IRE

Or that's how I see it! 

• Like 2

I can accept that 13 episodes of Breaking Bad or 20 episodes of Friends can be called a "season". I feel a bit daft for calling it that, but fair enough.

However, it slightly grates that some choose to say Peep Show is in it's "9th season", for instance. It seems a tad excessive to call 6 half an hour episodes a "season". 

Minor quibble aside, I'm really enjoying Fargo. Feels like it's building nicely.

Peep Show S9 E01 (see what I did there?) was decent, I don't think it's going to hit the high points that it reached in S3-S7 when it was arguably the best thing on TV. Mitchell and Webb are getting a bit old for their characters these days but I'm willing to jump on board to see how it all ends.  

Caught the first two episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead too and my word it's glorious. It's been so long since I saw any of the movies that I genuinely think I probably last watched them on VHS in the 90s but this just nails the vibe of the second and third movies, it's gory and it's hilarious. Bruce Campbell is still amazing as Ash and I think the new characters are very strong too, More please. :)

• Like 3

19 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Caught the first two episodes of Ash vs Evil Dead too and my word it's glorious. It's been so long since I saw any of the movies that I genuinely think I probably last watched them on VHS in the 90s but this just nails the vibe of the second and third movies, it's gory and it's hilarious. Bruce Campbell is still amazing as Ash and I think the new characters are very strong too, More please. :)

Groovy

Â