The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Roberto Di Matteo's very lucrative "gardening leave" contract at Chelsea (£6.75m a year for almost two years since he was relieved of his managers duties) expired on 1st July and he's now back in work.  Took the Schalke job, which is a bigger job than I thought he would end up with. Good luck to the lad! 

Roberto Di Matteo's very lucrative "gardening leave" contract at Chelsea (£6.75m a year for almost two years since he was relieved of his managers duties) expired on 1st July and he's now back in work.  Took the Schalke job, which is a bigger job than I thought he would end up with. Good luck to the lad! 

I'm sure he'll do well there, I think Schalke have a good team but have been poorly managed recently. Watching the highlights last night, there was some criminal defending on show from them.

On another note, Gladbach are doing well :D unlucky not to beat Mainz though.

CB - howedes, kirchhoff, santana, matip (also have the young greek lad out on loan) 

LB - aogo

RB - Uchida

Midfield - boateng, draxler, clemens, meyer, goretzka, sam, farfan, barnetta, 

Striker - huntelaar

Thats a very good squad

think they need another striker to back up huntelaar, but in meyer and goretzka they have 2 of the highest potential players in germany (and thats not including draxler who had over 100 games under his belt at 21) 

It's a good squad but still lacks many great players. They should've looked to try and move towards the next level by making one or two 'big' signings. Instead, their entire summer business was restricted to two bosmans which smacked of no ambition and happiness just to perpetually finish in the top four.

I thought Kevin Prince was quite a big signing for them, an enigma of a player but on his day excellent and says it all for Italian football that a prominent AC Milan player left to go join a top 4 German team.

I'm not a huge fan of Huntaleer but he'd probably start for half premier league clubs and he plays most games for Holland. Is Farfan still injured? He's always someone I'd have like to have seen in the prem, similar to Ashley Young.

Same as last season this season the most interesting thing about the Bundesliga will be the relegation battle. Bremen, Stuttgart and Hamburg were the bottom 3 last week, all have played in the champions league since 2006 so could easily have some big names in the second division next year.

Yeah, Boateng, Draxler and Huntelaar and possibly Meyer are the only genuinely top-class players I'd say they currently have. To continue their progression, they could've done with a couple more players of that sort of calibre, especially in defence.

The Bundesliga is great and wide open but it's just a shame that the title race is more of a one-horse race than the SPL now. It would be nice to see some of the others show the ambition to try and eventually challenge for the title.

To continue their progression, they could've done with a couple more players of that sort of calibre, especially in defence.

howedes is a very good CB even though he played LB at the world cup, kirchoff has lost his way a bit and wasnt good enough for bayern but he's still good, papadopoulous had probably about as much potential as any CB in the world 3/4 years back back with the injuries and the fact that he's a nutter hasnt quite stepped up, matip is a good player, uchida is decent enough and plays pretty much every game for Japan, aogo flirts with the national team, santana was never outstanding but played in the CL final with dortmund didnt he?

agree that they showed no real ambition, although sam was a big signing, another who flirts with the national team

they're a team who's main ambition will be to keep what they've got for as long as possible and hope to produce another draxler / meyer every couple of years, if they can keep them there and get draxler / meyer / goretzka in the midfield thats got tons of potential 

its not a bad defence

Boateng was massively overrated at Milan. He was basically just lucky enough to play off Ibra for a few years. When Ibra left, Boateng was shocking and it's no surprise he left.

He was one of Schalke's best players last season.

To continue their progression, they could've done with a couple more players of that sort of calibre, especially in defence.

howedes is a very good CB even though he played LB at the world cup, kirchoff has lost his way a bit and wasnt good enough for bayern but he's still good, papadopoulous had probably about as much potential as any CB in the world 3/4 years back back with the injuries and the fact that he's a nutter hasnt quite stepped up, matip is a good player, uchida is decent enough and plays pretty much every game for Japan, aogo flirts with the national team, santana was never outstanding but played in the CL final with dortmund didnt he?

...its not a bad defence

Yeah, Höwedes is good. They've obviously been unluckly with Kyriakos who probably won't realise his promise due to injuries. Kirchoff looks injury prone too. Santana is one of those who is a better athlete than defender. Kolašinac has potential.

But they have too many players that are decent but not really Champions League quality.

Choupo-Mating is a decent forward, might see him in the premier league soon.

The issue really here is for all the praise and improvement of the Bundesliga in the last 5 years, if you're a top player it's still either Bayern Munich want me or I'd rather play in one of the other leagues.

It's the same for Schalke as it is for Dortmund and Leverkusen. Taking punts on youngsters or decent players who've lost their way (Kagawa). Proven quality like Xabi Alonso or Benatia would never sign for them.

Choupo-Mating is a decent forward, might see him in the premier league soon.

The issue really here is for all the praise and improvement of the Bundesliga in the last 5 years, if you're a top player it's still either Bayern Munich want me or I'd rather play in one of the other leagues.

It's the same for Schalke as it is for Dortmund and Leverkusen. Taking punts on youngsters or decent players who've lost their way (Kagawa). Proven quality like Xabi Alonso or Benatia would never sign for them.

Didn't he just join Schalke in the summer?

Â