The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

I know there have been quite a few calls for us to be more like Borussia Dortmund since Lambert took over given his connections to the club.  Well, they currently sit bottom of the table (results elsewhere went against them and they do have a game in hand) so I guess they have also decided to try to be a bit more like us! :flag: 

true but he should have been at least in his box. If they had of lost possession there any player could have just chipped it over his head

We saw him pass the ball to a defender immediately before it was played forwards so the circumstances might have been unusual for him to be there in the first place.  Alternatively he could have been coached to stay near the edge of the area when his team have possession, it sets up the "sweeper keeper" thing which really is coming into fashion and the reward gained from being able to play a higher line should hugely outweigh the risk of being chipped from distance.  Most of the time the keeper will have time to retreat when his side lose possession, obviously this wasn't the case when the defender decided to drop a bomb on him.  Even if he had been back it was a terrible pass as he would have been unable to catch it.  I can't put much blame on the keeper at all for this one.

• Like 1

Really not sure what Kramer was thinking there, he was facing the keeper so should be taking a look at the whereabouts of the player before making the pass. I don't blame the keeper at all, he had a great game. 

I'm surprised more midfielders haven't tried to chip the keeper from the halfway line in teams that use the sweeper-keeper.

I imagine a few attempts would free up space between the defence/GK due to the keeper having to stay nearer the goal.

I Xabi Alonso was playing for anyone but Bayern, I'm sure he'd try it fairly regularly. :)

true but he should have been at least in his box. If they had of lost possession there any player could have just chipped it over his head

We saw him pass the ball to a defender immediately before it was played forwards so the circumstances might have been unusual for him to be there in the first place.  Alternatively he could have been coached to stay near the edge of the area when his team have possession, it sets up the "sweeper keeper" thing which really is coming into fashion and the reward gained from being able to play a higher line should hugely outweigh the risk of being chipped from distance.  Most of the time the keeper will have time to retreat when his side lose possession, obviously this wasn't the case when the defender decided to drop a bomb on him.  Even if he had been back it was a terrible pass as he would have been unable to catch it.  I can't put much blame on the keeper at all for this one.

It's a completely normal position for the modern keeper to be in when their team is in possession.

He's both making himself available for a pass and giving himself a good starting position for a counter attack.

The one game in a thousand when the opposition (or his team mate!) chips him from 40 yards will be far outweighed by the countless contributions he'd make by being in a good position.

It's like when people say Schmeichel had a tendency to get lobbed.

Yeah he did get lobbed a few times, but how many goals did he stop by being in that advanced position?

• 3 weeks later...

Dortmund bottom again. Properly bottom this time, they lost 2-0 to Frankfurt and now are a point adrift at the foot of the table after 13 games.  They had been bottom overnight before the international break but they had a game in hand on everybody above them. They won with that ridiculous own goal (linked above) and moved out of the relegation zone. 

I don't think they are in any danger of going down. I'd imagine they will put together a run of wins at some point and finish in the top half of the table but could this be the beginning of the end for Klopp and if so will he come to England?  I'd love to see him over here just for the entertainment factor, he is an utterly charming guy which is amazing considering English is his second language. 

Edited by The_Rev

Not just Klopp, assuming they recover to finish top half what happens next summer to reus, gundogan, bender, hummels etc?

They'll be torn apart and to be fair I think over the last 2 years we've seen Klopp be pretty ineffective in the transfer market when buying the bigger names

Not just Klopp, assuming they recover to finish top half what happens next summer to reus, gundogan, bender, hummels etc?

They'll be torn apart and to be fair I think over the last 2 years we've seen Klopp be pretty ineffective in the transfer market when buying the bigger names

Did he not buy Reus and Lewandowski?

He bought a good chunk of the team, reus they'd already let go and resigned him for about £15m, lewandowski wasn't a big name signing

I actually think in comparison to wenger with the rumours building his success in the transfer market is very similar, built the team with some brilliant signings of cheap relatively unknown players but once he was at the top and given a bit of money he's been far less successful in the transfer market

Lewandowski was a bit of a nobody before Dortmund took a punt on him.   There is the story about how he almost signed for Blackburn Rovers just before he joined Dortmund, apparently he was due to fly to England to meet with Blackburn about a deal only his plane got grounded by that volcanic ash cloud which cancelled all flights in Europe for about two weeks in 2010. Dortmund stepped in during that time and the rest is history. 

Edited by The_Rev

Â