The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

On 11/05/2024 at 19:19, villa4europe said:

Mainz beating dortmund 3-0, means köln are all but down, would need GD to stay up relegation union Berlin who they beat 3-2 today with goals in the 87th and 92nd minute 

Kiel at home to dusseldorf tonight, if they win they are up, dusseldorf likely to finish 3rd (st pauli 2nd)

Means that the 2nd division could have dusseldorf (55k) köln (50k) hertha Berlin (74k) hamburg (57k) schalke (62k) kaiserlautern (49k) nurnberg (50k) hannover (49k)

Madness 

Is this just the nature of German football being ace for fans and, therefore, there are (comparatively) big stadiums everywhere, or is it particularly large clubs (from my recent memory, certainly Hertha, Hamburg, Schalke and Kaiserslautern (although they've been down for a while?)) being outside the top flight?

Just looked at the Bundesliga and - again, to my recent memory - it feels like Heidenheim, Augsburg and Mainz are the only real "smaller" clubs there (nod to Darmstadt, but they're down).

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Is this just the nature of German football being ace for fans and, therefore, there are (comparatively) big stadiums everywhere, or is it particularly large clubs (from my recent memory, certainly Hertha, Hamburg, Schalke and Kaiserslautern (although they've been down for a while?)) being outside the top flight?

Just looked at the Bundesliga and - again, to my recent memory - it feels like Heidenheim, Augsburg and Mainz are the only real "smaller" clubs there (nod to Darmstadt, but they're down).

its a whole German demographic thing I think down to the economic centres of the country meaning they have decent sized cities dotted around everywhere with most of them having affluent areas then paired with most cities only having one major club, the 18 bundesliga teams are from 18 different cities, then also throw in the fact that they had the world cup in 2006 and the euros now meaning that some cities got new stadiums 

the biggest one city derby is probably st pauli and HSV, union berlin and hertha the 2nd that i can think of, there are no cities that have 2 really big clubs and the only real kind of grouping you get is in north rhine westphalia so the catchment areas are massive, if you take kaiserlautern for example Mainz is an hour away to the east, stuttgart 2 hours away to the south, cologne probably 3 hours north, nothing to the west - i would lazily without looking guess that more than 50% of bundesliga teams dont have another bundesliga team within an hours drive of them, its a city of 100k people but in a region of 4m people that has 2 football clubs (kaiserlautern and mainz)

would also say here that the glory hunting is tiny compared to the UK, even with some of the older immigrants that i used to play with, there's seemingly next to no bayern fans where i am, you'll see some monchengadbach, levekusen and dortmund fans around and HSV actually had a fan club bar round the corner from where i used to live (but to be fair to him he was from hamburg)

we kind of see it in English football with newcastle and leeds, cities that are able to really hold on to their local support because in reality they're on an island 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bobzy said:

Union would actually be smaller than Augsburg and Mainz and look to be in trouble.

Big clubs you mentioned have all been badly managed. Hertha for example spent a good bit of money on some shit players. Apparently outbid us for Piatek in January 2020 and were spending more than a mid table Bundesliga team should and nearly all failed

Â