The Bundesliga Thread

Troglodyte

Same as every manager it would depend on which team he was given, I think if you asked him to rebuild utd he'd be great at it, if you asked him to carry on wengers work at arsenal he could do it, if you put him in charge of man city and said smash everyone then that's different

Dortmund have a ridiculous number of injuries, hummels has only played half the games this year, gundogan played his 1st game in a year at the weekend, reus has been injured, that polish bloke who's name I'm not even going to try hasn't played all year, neither has sahin

Then you add in they lost lewandowski, I'd hate to see Klopp get an unfair dose of barcelonitis, not sure how people can expect them carry on getting better and better, they built their way up, peaked and now they're on their way down, typical football cycle, only with bayern speeding things up

• Like 1

My German team is Wolfsburg. I'm not clinging onto their every result but I favour them in the matches of theirs I really look at. Looked out for them in that way for a few seasons now, even when they were pretty poor. Mostly comes from the family's like of VWs to be honest.

I had a history teacher in school who used to be something to do with the RAF/Army IIRC and had spent some time in Germany, reckoned either Dortmund or Gladbach (can't remember which) had a lot of British servicemen support them because they were the nearest big club to a barracks, which might make it a bit easier to get into the community of whichever club it was.

We are a big club close to a barracks....oh sorry, you meant it literally.

I'm looking for a German team to follow, not sure who to choose.

Depends what you are looking for in a club. If you want a team sort of like Villa - historically big club but long time underachievers - then you could try Hamburg. Or even Schalke, despite being quite strong in the league, can kind of fall under this category.

If you want to be a contrarian hipster then you should follow Dortmund, seeing as all the other hipsters have probably abandoned ship now ;)

Edited by Isa

I used to follow Wolfsburg in the late 90s as they had Wolfgang Wolf as manager and Peter Pander (panda) as CEO which obviously amused a 12 year old kid. They were a bit like Villa in they used to be eternal 6th/7th place finishers.

Then they won the league with Dzeko and Grafitie scoring a million goals between them so I stopped following them as it seemed the journey was complete.

Don't really follow anyone now...well apart from the team playing Hamburg on any given weekend. ;)

As an aside I noticed Kouyiate scored a the winner v Dortmund.....

I kind of follow Stuttgart - after Hitzlsperger went there from us

If I were to choose now i'd look at a smaller club like Hoffenheim who also seem to attack during matches, regardless of who they play! They regularly bang in goals (never seem to have a dull game) and have a couple of cracking players in Volland and Firmino up front.

• Like 1

It was the timing. Cresswell entered the final year of his contract this summer so Ipswich were forced to sell him at a cut price. And Nürnburg were relegated last season so couldn't demand the same sort of coin for their players.

I always consider Hamburg to be most reminiscent of Villa in Germany. Hamburg is the second city and the football club had its time as the cream of Europe at a similar time we did. 

I'm looking for a German team to follow, not sure who to choose.

Depends what you are looking for in a club. If you want a team sort of like Villa - historically big club but long time underachievers - then you could try Hamburg. Or even Schalke, despite being quite strong in the league, can kind of fall under this category.

If you want to be a contrarian hipster then you should follow Dortmund, seeing as all the other hipsters have probably abandoned ship now ;)

I've gone for Wolfsburg :) I had a quick look and then remembered a great game I had on FM09 where I won absolutely everything with them :)

• Like 2

Â