Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

44 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

There is more of an argument there that in avoiding the short ball Colly's momentum took him out of his crease and he never went back in.  Bairstow at no stage was in any danger of doing it or looking to score a run and made an effort to show he wasn't going to either.

Nah, they’re both shit IMO

• Like 1

On 03/07/2023 at 10:50, bobzy said:

Hence the whole “spirit of the game” thing. Bairstow technically being out is correct.

Aussies being words removed is also correct. 

Exactly that. Exactly the same thing happened to me in a friendly game against some Aussies. I was fuming at myself for being out of my ground and made no fuss at all, but I was seething that in this so called friendly game they did it. It wasn't the only thing where they ignored the playing conditions, either. I guess it's just different cultural norms, really. In a test match, as opposed to village cricket you'd expect and hope that the batter (Bairstow) wouldn't be so dozy as I was and he was.

Contrast with India doing similar to Ian Bell at Trent Bridge a few years back, last ball before tea, but then withdrawing the appeal at tea, so Bell was able to continue his innings.

• Like 1

change of subject from the....spirit of the game......

Next years England fixtures have been announced.

Next years England men and women's schedule

2024 ENGLAND MEN’S HOME SCHEDULE 

Men’s IT20 Series v Pakistan Men 

22 May: 1st Men’s IT20 – Headingley, Leeds 

25 May: 2nd Men’s IT20 – Edgbaston, Birmingham 

28 May: 3rd Men’s IT20 – Sophia Gardens, Cardiff 

30 May: 4th Men’s IT20 – The Kia Oval 

Men’s Test Series v West Indies Men 

10-14 July: 1st Men’s Test – Lord’s, London 

18-22 July: 2nd Men’s Test – Trent Bridge, Nottingham

26-30 July: 3rd Men’s Test – Edgbaston, Birmingham 

Men’s Test Series v Sri Lanka Men 

21-25 Aug: 1st Men’s Test – Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester 

29 Aug – 2 Sept: 2nd Men’s Test – Lord’s, London 

6-10 Sept: 3rd Men’s Test – The Kia Oval 

Men’s IT20 Series v Australia Men 

11 Sept: 1st Men’s IT20 – The Ageas Bowl, Southampton 

13 Sept: 2nd Men’s IT20 – Sophia Gardens, Cardiff 

15 Sept: 3rd Men’s IT20 – Emirates Old Trafford, Manchester 

Men’s One-Day International Series v Australia Men 

19 Sept: 1st Men’s One-Day International – Trent Bridge, Nottingham 

21 Sept: 2nd Men’s One-Day International - Headingley, Leeds 

24 Sept: 3rd Men’s One-Day International – Seat Unique Riverside, Chester-le-Street 

27 Sept: 4th Men’s One-Day International – Lord’s, London 

29 Sept: 5th Men’s One-Day International – Seat Unique Stadium, Bristol 

8 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Pope out of the series. Dan Lawrence in I would expect to be a straight swap. He did ok v West Indies iirc correctly before he lost his place

Just checking the county championship averages, can't they just pick someone at or near the top of the batting?

Sam Hain or James Vince maybe.

11 hours ago, Eidolon said:

I honestly think this whole thing is incredibly silly and any English supporter who doesn't think Bairstow or any other English player  wouldn't do the exact same thing given the opportunity is being incredibly naive. Was it sneaky? yes, does whining about it ad nauseam reflect badly on English cricket as a whole? also yes.

curious to see what happens next game without Lyon, honestly as important to Australia's set up as any other player you could name and his absence could be a big difference maker

He might do but Stokes has already said he would have rescinded the appeal. Its bad for cricket, its bad for the Aussies reputation given what happened a couple of years back when they got done for cheating. These things don't go away. Cricket is different to many other sports. 

10 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Just checking the county championship averages, can't they just pick someone at or near the top of the batting?

Sam Hain or James Vince maybe.

Isn't sam hain injured.

Very lilely Lawrence will be the replacement, but there is talk of Root moving up to 3 with Moeen batting at 7 and Woakes 8. 

They wont want to go with a long tail like  at Lords so either way they have to pick Moeen or Woakes or maybe both with Lawrence

29 minutes ago, PaulC said:

He might do but Stokes has already said he would have rescinded the appeal. Its bad for cricket, its bad for the Aussies reputation given what happened a couple of years back when they got done for cheating. These things don't go away. Cricket is different to many other sports. 

That's incredibly easy to say from where he's sitting isnt it?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Eidolon said:

That's incredibly easy to say from where he's sitting isnt it?

Of course but I believe he would.  Of the matches in ashes series over the last 100 years or so has this ever happened. There's a reason for that and  the Aussies crossed the line.

1 hour ago, PaulC said:

But it wasnt cheating and I am sure Stokes wouldn't have in same instance

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

But it didn’t happen the other way round because it’s only the Aussies who are words removed.

Surely we’re done with this whataboutery?!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Isn't sam hain injured.

Played Sunday vs Durham in T20.

I think he'll be in the England squad soon enough but this Ashes series is too soon.

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Not saying that's cheating but the sandpapergate scandal back in 2019. There's no integrity in this current Aussie team.

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

Fascinatingly the exact same thing happened in the first Ashes series when WG Grace did it to the Australians.

The precedent was set in 1882 😂

In the second innings, the tourists found themselves struggling at 99 for 6 when young Sammy Jones joined Murdoch. They had taken the score to 114 when the skipper played a ball to the leg side, and the English wicketkeeper Alfred Lyttleton ran across to field. The ball was returned to Grace, standing in his habitual position near the stumps at a shortish point. Thinking that the business of that particular delivery was over, Jones walked out to do a bit of gardening with his bat. Grace seized the opportunity and threw the stumps down, much to the bafflement of the inexperienced batsman and the chagrin of the entire Australian side.

https://www.cricketcountry.com/articles/giants-clashed-sparks-flew-which-resulted-in-the-ashes-17425

Further to blandy's post ; I played in a midweek "office team" - Local Authority. Some how , with about 3 matched to go , we were top of the League and a trophy beckoned. Our next fixture was aginst a (then) Birmingham League side, West Bromwich Dartmouth 3rds. Our opening batsman(Roger) played for Old Hill at weekends and told us the West Brom would bring in players from their better sides. Emphasise , we were just an office team with a couple of decent players (not me !!). Sure enough, Dartmouth brought in a fast bowler who persisted in pitching it short. Our Old Hill player stepped forward to remonstrate with the bowler and ask the umpire for advice and the'keeper ran him out ! With hindsight , he should have known better but just wasn't expecting it at our level. So it seems this sort of thing goes on right down to the lower levels. As an adjunct on cheating , the actions of Trevor Chappell wil ltake some beating !!!

• Like 3

Â