Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Its ugly and messy but 100% on Bairstow, he's paying no respect to the laws of cricket similar to not actually appealing when you think you have someone out.

At the time I thought it was wrong but it doesn't seem Carey invented the idea so it can't be classed as cheating or not in the spirit of the game. 

Doubt you will see anyone get out like that for a long long time now.

12 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The guy had started running ffs :lol:

He wasn't running, he was stumbling forward after an LBW appeal. If he'd started patting down the pitch instead of turning to get back in his crease I'm sure you'd say it was all very unfair 😆 

Edited by LondonLax

17 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

The English were not so fussed about ‘the spirit of the game’ last summer. 

Regardless of your views on how sporting yesterdays dismissal was, surely you can concede that’s not in anyway a valid comparison? 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

He wasn't running, he was stumbling forward after an LBW appeal. If he'd started patting down the pitch instead of turning to get back in his crease I'm sure you'd say it was all very unfair 😆 

He was running and even if stumbling it's still legitimate to stump or run someone out just like when a spinner fools a batsman and they stumble out of the crease, the ball isn't dead when it goes to a fielder like it is considered to be when the ball is let through to the wicketkeeper's gloves.  I genuinely can't believe people think the two are at all similar.  It's like they expect it to be like in the playground where someone can run you out because you didn't say 'IN!', even though Bairstow practically does this by marking his ground anyway.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

He was running and even if stumbling it's still legitimate to stump or run someone out just like when a spinner fools a batsman and they stumble out of the crease, the ball isn't dead when it goes to a fielder like it is considered to be when the ball is let through to the wicketkeeper's gloves.  I genuinely can't believe people think the two are at all similar.  It's like they expect it to be like in the playground where someone can run you out because you didn't say 'IN!', even though Bairstow practically does this by marking his ground anyway.

Sorry buddy, the batsman doesn’t get to decide the ball is dead just because it’s gone to the keeper and not the slip. 

20.1.2 The ball shall be considered to be dead when it is clear to the bowler's end umpire that the fielding side and both batters at the wicket have ceased to regard it as in play.

Is there a view of what the bowlers end umpire is doing at the time because I've heard it said that he's walking away, which would indicate he thinks it's dead regardless of whether he says over or not.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

The football equivalent of the Bairstow stumping...

That’s on Villa too. We didn’t have the ball and give it Leeds. Their player, they had the ball, their decision. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

That’s on Villa too. We didn’t have the ball and give it Leeds. Their player, they had the ball, their decision. 

Well yeah, that's partly why I was drawing equivalence.  Unsportsman (but legal) opportunism in the face of some lazy complacency.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, bickster said:

Is there a view of what the bowlers end umpire is doing at the time because I've heard it said that he's walking away, which would indicate he thinks it's dead regardless of whether he says over or not.

The umpire wasn't even looking at it as he was going to give the bowler his cap back.  While the ball was still in play of course :lol:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bickster said:

As @sharkyvilla says, he's unclipping the bowler's cap.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, djdabush said:

As @sharkyvilla says, he's unclipping the bowler's cap.

Bairstow is already out by then so play is dead, you can even see the bails in that shot 😁

Anyway, it was not like it was an opportunistic thing, Bairstow had been walking down the pitch early his whole innings and the Australians realised he was a chance of giving his wicket away cheaply. I assume he’ll learn from it 😁

1 hour ago, LondonLax said:

The English were not so fussed about ‘the spirit of the game’ last summer. 

That’s mid-over, during a ball where the batsman is outside of his crease attempting to play a shot

It’s not even remotely the same thing :D 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Bairstow is already out by then so play is dead, you can even see the bails in that shot 😁

Anyway, it was not like it was an opportunistic thing, Bairstow had been walking down the pitch early his whole innings and the Australians realised he was a chance of giving his wicket away cheaply. I assume he’ll learn from it 😁

He’s looking down before Carey throws it. Because the over is done. Look at the reaction from the bowler too - he’s not looking for any kind of additional play here.

Most batsman walk down the pitch at the end of an over. It’s just the Aussies being words removed :D 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Genuine question here....would bairstow done the same if Carey was up to the stumps or did he feel because he was further back he felt able to wander ?

FWIW I don't think he would've. 

13 hours ago, KentVillan said:

He clearly touches his back foot down inside the crease to indicate he’s inside and the ball is dead. Bat or foot irrelevant. Yes was naive from him, but so rare for keeper to try and stump someone in that scenario because it’s a cheap play.

11 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is going to be the defining moment of the series, and possibly Carey's career, it's a complete lack of any kind of class. 

Scumbag cricket.

Headingley will doubtless be having a word.

10 hours ago, ozvillafan said:

Oh please.

Bairstow tried the same thing not 2 days earlier.

Exactly this.

the ''spirit of the game'' only suits whoever when ever.

It was poor cricket from Bairstow.

If Bairstow had have run out an Aussie in the same way we most definitely would have claimed the wicket

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bobzy said:

He’s looking down before Carey throws it. Because the over is done. Look at the reaction from the bowler too - he’s not looking for any kind of additional play here.

Most batsman walk down the pitch at the end of an over. It’s just the Aussies being words removed :D 

Well clearly it wasn’t over or the appeal would have failed 😂

Â