Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

8 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Well clearly it wasn’t over or the appeal would have failed 😂

Hence the whole “spirit of the game” thing. Bairstow technically being out is correct.

Aussies being words removed is also correct. 

a example of the spirit of the game....

there are many other examples of this out there from all teams playing cricket.

Just get on with the game and stop making excuses for poor decision making

• Like 4

I also enjoyed Broad being overly dramatic with the questioning. That’s apparently how the Aussies want the game to be played, and I fully expect the same in their next batting innings. 

2 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Yeah, this is much more like it. Very poor form. 

13 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I also enjoyed Broad being overly dramatic with the questioning. That’s apparently how the Aussies want the game to be played, and I fully expect the same in their next batting innings. 

I dont think Broad can get on his high horse about the spirit of the game 😉

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont think Broad can get on his high horse about the spirit of the game 😉

He didn’t - he was simply over dramatically pointing out that he was in his crease and asking the Aussies if he could move from it, then checking with both umpires. Enjoyable stuff. 

45 minutes ago, imavillan said:

In that case, I'm not sure what's right there, if you drop the ball at your feet and run then you have to factor in that the bowler is probably going to want to field the ball in his follow-through.  Who obstructs who, the bowler knocking over the batsman, or the batsman obstructing the fielder therefore should be out anyway?

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

In that case, I'm not sure what's right there, if you drop the ball at your feet and run then you have to factor in that the bowler is probably going to want to field the ball in his follow-through.  Who obstructs who, the bowler knocking over the batsman, or the batsman obstructing the fielder therefore should be out anyway?

Yes that is totally different. Nothing was deliberate. It was an accidental collision. Not defending Collingwood but this is not test match cricket either. 

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes that is totally different. Nothing was deliberate. It was an accidental collision. Not defending Collingwood but this is not test match cricket either. 

Test match or not, the point being though is 'the spirit of the game' that everyone keeps harping on about.

Clearly it's an accidental collision, if England played 'in the spirit of the game' they would nat have taken to wicket.

9 minutes ago, imavillan said:

Test match or not, the point being though is 'the spirit of the game' that everyone keeps harping on about.

Clearly it's an accidental collision, if England played 'in the spirit of the game' they would nat have taken to wicket.

Yes quite true. I think Collingwiod was wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd like to see Bairstow do the same thing to one of their batsmen and Stokes to not appeal it like he said he would.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes quite true. I think Collingwiod was wrong. Two wrongs don't make a right. I'd like to see Bairstow do the same thing to one of their batsmen and Stokes to not appeal it like he said he would.

It would mean Bairstow would have to actually catch the ball and hit the stumps. Australia could run 3 in that time

Nobody probably old enough to remember this. England v West indies in the carribesn. Think it was 1973. Final ball of days play. Kalicharan 100 not out. Walks  off before stumps were called. Tony Greig ran him out. There was such a commotion over night it was decided that Kalicharan should not be out and resumed his innings next day. The right thing was done. 

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

It would mean Bairstow would have to actually catch the ball and hit the stumps. Australia could run 3 in that time

Bairstow had a much better game behind the stumps than in the first test 

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Spirit of the game is a cop out especially at a high stakes level. I guarantee Stokes would have done the same the other way around in such a ferocious sporting environment

He could have took Duckett off in the spirit of the game when Starc caught him. Umpires are there to make the calls and they did on both occasions

Anyway as said this is all a copout to cover up England failings in this match

That's football mentality.

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The Spirit of the game is a cop out especially at a high stakes level. I guarantee Stokes would have done the same the other way around in such a ferocious sporting environment

He could have took Duckett off in the spirit of the game when Starc caught him. Umpires are there to make the calls and they did on both occasions

Anyway as said this is all a copout to cover up England failings in this match

What a load of nonsense :D 

Why didn't the England team do it?  Take a look at batsmen at the end of every over, ever.  They don't just hang around unnecessarily.  Even the clips posted earlier show Bairstow marking his ground then walking out of the crease with the Australian fielders doing nothing about it.  Because that's what happens.  That's the normal course of events.  Australia decided to be words removed.  It's fine, he's out, but it's piss poor sportsmanship.  That's all it is.  Nothing wrong with that, the Aussies should embrace it and say "Yeah, we were words removed.  So what".

On Starc; why should Duckett walk?  He was dropped :D 

• Like 4

The spirit of the game seems to be a bit like the unwritten rules in baseball. Personally, if an action is deemed legal then it should be allowed. This is top-level sports, not a community get-together with tea and cakes. Bairstow lost concentration and got paid for it.

2 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

The spirit of the game seems to be a bit like the unwritten rules in baseball. Personally, if an action is deemed legal then it should be allowed. This is top-level sports, not a community get-together with tea and cakes. Bairstow lost concentration and got paid for it.

There's a lot of unwritten rules in cricket though if teams are willing to break them all then it just would become a farce 

Â