Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

37 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Regardless of all the controversy of this test, I think we all agree that Lords is a **** shit stadium, filled with some very shit people (usually wearing red/yellow stripes).

3 less of them today. 

1 hour ago, andym said:

Just seen the full score cards, we gave away 74 extras combined across the two innings!

Was similar at Edgbaston.

Just really sloppy bowling and fielding

That is dreadful. Maybe bring in Woakes for the 3rd test. Heroic effort by Stokes but the damage was done in the first innings batting collapse. Entertaining though which is what Test cricket desperately needs at present.

As it is I have no real issue with the keeper throwing down the stumps to keep the batsman on his toes and if Bairstow had charged down the pitch or began to run and stopped then I'm all for appealing but he clearly did neither.  There was a run out of Ian Bell years back where Dhoni changed his mind and let him be reinstated and continue his innings, sadly no such class today.

• Like 2

Its all on Bairstow and he really should be taking all the blame as this spirit of game nonsense is just an excuse to cover over some serious issues with Englands performance

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is going to be the defining moment of the series, and possibly Carey's career, it's a complete lack of any kind of class. 

Scumbag cricket.

Headingley will doubtless be having a word.

khwaja will be a yorkshire target

2 hours ago, Rodders said:

He clearly had control of the ball and as a player you'd have no argument with that catch being given. Only slow mo telly replays decided he arbitrarily wasn't in control of the body. A bit facetious to say there's no controversy about it. I acknowledge the explanation but an explanation  doesn't dilute controversy, as seen with the Bairstow issue.

I know it's slightly different one being an umpires call the other an on field action but I do think, only my sense obviously, is without the controversy in thr back of the players minds making them more emotional, then Cummins probably does withdraw that appeal. 

But don't disagree it does spoil the spectacle. Although do note Strauss blaming the boos on the plebs but no comment on the gammon embarrassments in the long room behaving like unpleasant boors.

Anyway, England ought to focus on their first innings batting and fielding woes instead of crying foul. 

Yes but Stokes said if Bairstow did the same thing he wouldn't have appealed. I trust his word on that.

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

Regardless of all the controversy of this test, I think we all agree that Lords is a **** shit stadium, filled with some very shit people (usually wearing red/yellow stripes).

Maybe the people but it's a great cricket stadium 

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Its all on Bairstow and he really should be taking all the blame as this spirit of game nonsense is just an excuse to cover over some serious issues with Englands performance

Surely those videos are making the opposite point to yours, the Aussies knew that Bairstow is doing nothing to gain advantage but ran him out anyway.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

This is going to be the defining moment of the series, and possibly Carey's career, it's a complete lack of any kind of class. 

Scumbag cricket.

Headingley will doubtless be having a word.

Oh please.

Bairstow tried the same thing not 2 days earlier.

Yeah the point is the foot movement from Bairstow is to indicate to the fielders he’s inside his crease and not considering a run. He’s (wrongly) assuming they get the message and just lob the ball back, and carry on.

The idea of a stumping is you’re catching out a player who has left his crease to obtain some kind of advantage to hit the ball, or lost balance trying to hit the ball.

Dumb from Bairstow in the situation… it was of course out, and the umpires had no option. But can completely understand the rage, and think Cummins could have withdrawn the appeal.

Hopefully it will motivate England in the next test, where I think Australia will miss Lyon. Stokes seems to be fired up now.

• Like 1

Guardian in connection with Aussie media sources have ran a hit piece on the hypocrisy of England and the spirit of the game including an incident last year when Stokes didnt call a player back

Funny enough most of ex English players in the media are blaming Bairstow

Edited by Zatman

9 hours ago, Zatman said:

As I've said before, that's like blaming a defender for being too close to an attacker when they dive.  Bairstow is marking his ground, making it clear he's done.

The Aussies are pretty shameless with that.

• Like 2

I've also seen lots of Aussies saying "we'll withdraw our appeal when Duckett walks for a fair catch being taken".

Two things wrong with that. 

1) Starc catch was not completed as he grounded the ball in the process of halting his movement. If he'd taken that catch then slid over the ropes then it's a boundary (six I'd assume unless he did his little grounding slide over the rope in which case it's four) but for some reason this non-catch is controversial?

2. Duckett DID walk, both innings and was in fact called back by the umpires as he wasn't out. Not that I always agree with walking. Skying it to cover? Run out well out of your ground? Sure, walk. Possibly nicked behind? Low grassed catch? Don't walk. Umpires and DRS are there as it could have come off the forearm or the thigh pad.

Bairstow was sloppy and should have stayed in his ground. Sums up his keeping in general which is why we should have picked Foakes anyway. Australia should have withdrawn the review but didn't legally have to... but it nearly lost them an unloseable game by galvanising Stokes who had prior to this been an empty shirt in the team, and fired up the crowd. A shame that it will now be nigh on impossible to even draw the series let alone win it.

• Like 1

BREAKING: England Confirm They’re Actually 2-0 Up After ‘Feeling Like They Won’ Another Test

baz.jpg

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet | CONTACT

Australian cricket fans have today received a rude shock, after learning that their team is not in fact up 2-0 in the Ashes.

Even worse, Australian cricket fans have been informed that their team is actually 2-0 down!

With 2 of 5 tests played, the Australians now face an uphill battle to win or draw the series, needing results in all remaining matches in England.

This comes after English coach, spiritual guru and the chosen one Brendon ‘Baz’ McCullum revealed that England actually won this week’s test match.

“We actually feel like we won that one too,” said McCullum, roughly a week after claiming that his disciples had won the first game of Ashes cricket.

BREAKING: England Confirm They're Actually 2-0 Up After 'Feeling Like They Won' Another Test — The Betoota Advocate

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

I just watched the clip and I have to agree.  Batsman has started walking away immediately, it’s on him. The WK didn’t pause and wait until everyone had drifted off, he predicted he’d walk off whilst the ball was still live and capitalised on it.

If you’re relying on “spirit of the game” to protect you then you’ve **** up.

Edited by Genie

Â